iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Axe and Hatchet inquiries

Started by flyfish57, May 20, 2014, 09:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfish57

I would like some help identifying some old hatchets.  But I didn't see a forum specifically for that.  Is there a place that I can post it?  Since this is my first post I wanted to make sure where to post it.  I have some photo's to post as well if I'm permitted to post them.

1.  Is marked TrueTemper "Rustless" it's what I think is a broad axe or hatchet.  However the bit is flat on the left side and ground only on the right.

2. Is marked True American Lewistown, PA.  I think it's like a Carpenters hatchet as it has a notch I believe for pulling nails on the top and not underneath like the ones I saw while trying to find out what it was.

I recently purchased some timberland and need some tools to clear out some saplings.  The land was cut many years ago and never replanted or maintained.  I'll eventually get some good equipment.  But, the area is in Iron ore type soil so there are lots of small rocks embedded in the ground. I don't want to ruin a good axe or hatchet so I was going to use these it they would be alright.  Both need a new handle.
I like to say they were my grandfathers or something interesting.  But, in all honesty I don't remember where or when I got them.

James

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Would like to see your pics. There is protocol for posting pics, that starts with setting up your own gallery (via your profile settings) for a place to post them.
A tutor can be found on the "home" page and down in the "Behind the Forum" where the first thread or two has the info you need. Not difficult, just necessary for pics on this forum.

Admins will put this thread in the best subject area, if this one isn't.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Alexanderthelate

Your first axe is a side axe, used for smoothing off hewn logs, it should have a cranked handle. DO NOT risk beating that one up- it's worth a mint to the right fellow.

Jeff

I'd say worth a mint might be a bit of an over statement for most axes. There are some out there worth quite a bit, but they are the rare exception. There have been hundreds of thousands of axes created over time. You have to have something quite special to have a wow value.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

flyfish57

Here are the photo's I have.

Well, if they're worth something I won't use them.   But, if not I'll rehang them and use them and not worry about hitting rocks.  As I know that will take it's toll oon them.

James

enigmaT120

If you don't want to buy a brush saw, a Swedish brush axe goes through saplings pretty fast and easily.  Just be careful not to fall on the remaining little pongee sticks....

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

SLawyer Dave

Number 1 is an exact duplicate of the hatchet I inherited from my step father.  I can't imagine it could be worth much.  "True Temper" was a trademark of the Kelly Axe company, (which was for many years the largest axe maker in the world).  It is a machine forged and stamped axe.  I'm no expert, but the axes I have seen selling for "valuable" money, are generally very old and generally hand forged.  There are so many of the machine forged axes laying around that I've never seen them sell for more than their intrinsic value as a useful tool. 

The second one I have no idea about, but a quick google search turned up the following information:

http://yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears%20Tools/Mann%20Edge%20Tool%20Co..html

beenthere

I'd venture a guess that the smaller axe (#2) has the head on backwards..  that the notch is for pulling nails but on the handle side. It is in rough shape and deserves a new handle and a cleaning.

Appears to have been pounded on either as a wedge or used to pound in steel wedges or steel stakes. Clue being the burred out edge has been ground off (which is a good idea).

Good on the pics. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Clean them up, give then a befitting handle and use them. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BradMarks

Ditto on the nailing hatchet, just doesn't look right and wouldn't have the same leverage removing a nail. And note how many spacers/wedge. Find a handle with a bigger eye to replace the old one.

Alexanderthelate

Quote from: Jeff on May 20, 2014, 11:41:24 AM
I'd say worth a mint might be a bit of an over statement for most axes. There are some out there worth quite a bit, but they are the rare exception. There have been hundreds of thousands of axes created over time. You have to have something quite special to have a wow value.

Aye, true enough, but a proper side axe in decent nick is a rare item, and well sought after by a good few people. I have not been able to find a side axe go for a price I could pay, without needing an anesthetic. Not that I need one or nothing.

flyfish57

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I don't know why I didn't think about it being hung upside down.  Anyway does anyone know where you can get quality hickory replacement handles from?  All I can find here are the cheap box store replacements with the grains patterns going all over the place.

Again than you,

James

CSeal

Try House Handle Company on the web.

pineywoods

Yeah, the handle is backwards. I have one just like it, needs a new handle also. Try making your own handles, a spokeshave works well.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

flyfish57

Pineywoods,
I might later as I have a lot of Hickory on my timberland.  As a mater of fact I have two that didn't come back this year.  Not sure why. Drought?  But, I want to get them going so I can use them now.

James

Thank You Sponsors!