iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally finished my firewood shed rebuild

Started by VT_Forestry, November 07, 2014, 02:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

As the title suggests, I finally finished rebuilding the firewood shed that was at the house when we bought it last year.  The old shed was poorly cut metal on all sides, so it looked like a shipping container - not much to look at and it leaked something terrible.  I tore everything off, down to 4x4 posts, framed a roof and reused some of the metal to cover it all back up.  For the siding, I got some reject decking boards from the mill up the road - kiln dried 16' pine but didn't meet grade for a variety of reasons.  Price was right (FREE!) so how could I go wrong.  Still need to finish up some trim work but at least all my wood is in the dry.

And of course, this project would have never been a success without proper supervision  :D

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Skidder Kev

Nice looking shed that should keep your firewood dry for yrs to come.   looks like one of your supervisors had a long day and need a nap.

Kev

Swatson

Very nice!  That's a mighty good looking shed.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

clww

Great new shed to keep your firewood dry. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

VT_Forestry

Thanks!  All of us had a long day and needed a nap  :)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brendonv

Id have a hard time just putting wood in that shed. My iron would run in it first. Looks great
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

DeerMeadowFarm

Looks good! I need to build mine sometime....I just have too many plans/ideas on how to do it!

VT_Forestry

I went round and round with how I wanted to build it...knowing that I was reusing the 4x4s from the previous shed helped me narrow down a plan.  If I'd had to start from scratch I'd still be drawing stuff  :D

Knute

Nice! That's some good looking free siding.

ckhenshaw4

I would like to build one, but lazyness is getting in my way. 
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

Sawyer697

Gas well, says don't need one. But use some wood in the work shop! Pile that under the edge of the roof, rest is inside! 8) 8)
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

VT_Forestry

Quote from: Knute on November 12, 2014, 08:02:02 PM
Nice! That's some good looking free siding.

Thanks, I thought so too!  I still have a pile of it left, so I'm thinking a chicken coop addition to the shed would be a perfect way to get rid of it  :)

drobertson

You bet! got to love the rejects :D  Great job on the wood shed,  I have to believe with the proper supervision anything is possible ;D   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

If anyone is a serious wood burner a wood shed is a must. Good air circulation in the shed is important as is its proximity to where the wood will be burned. Easy load from a trailer or truck, don't have it in the middle of a groomed lawn. One other tip as soon as its empty fill it or over the summer it will fill up with junk and mommy's stuff. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!