iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Organic Maple syrup

Started by Skidder Kev, December 14, 2014, 03:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skidder Kev

So the wife and i go grocery shop every saturday pretty much.  Now walking the isle with the maple syrup I spotted "pure organic maple syrup" right next to pure maple syrup and the organic being about 5 bucks more too.  Now my question is,  Isn't all pure maple syrup organic?  Or is there guide lines that they have to follow to be able to put the word organic on it.  I just don't get it.  this is in ontario Canada too if that makes it different.

bill m

Yes, there are regulations that must be followed to be able to label maple syrup as organic. You have to get your farm/maple operation certified organic and keep up that certification periodically. I looked into it for my maple operation but I don't own all of the trees I tap and cannot guarantee that anything that may happen it those woods is 100% organic.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

red oaks lumber

thats called smart marketing  :) sadly alot of consumers will dole out the extra coin without thinking
all maple syrup is organic. just paying for the organic seal dosent change with maple syrup
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Sheepkeeper

In order to use the term organic on the label you have to go through the certification process. Three years of no chemical applications and needs to be recertified every year. I'm not sure what the exact cost of certification is but I think that it's over $700. Every year. I let the boss worry about that, I just do the work :D. Organic certification is something that you have to believe in and be passionate about or you're not going to last too long at it.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Chuck White

I think that anyone claiming that their syrup is organic is not really on the up and up.

For instance the ground is supposed to be more or less "pure" where he taps his maples.
What happens when the birds roost in those trees from time to time and therefore leave droppings on the ground that might contain the "wrong" chemicals?

There is a guy in this area who claims he makes and sells organic syrup and he buys sap from all over the area and boils it down in his evaporator, and it isn't organic, but he sells the syrup as organic.

If you tested organic syrup and just plain maple syrup, I'd bet you wouldn't find a difference.

IMHO!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bill m

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 14, 2014, 03:59:17 PM
thats called smart marketing  :) sadly alot of consumers will dole out the extra coin without thinking
all maple syrup is organic.
Well it should be but that is not always the case. Yes, it should be organic but it's possible that some of the stuff used in the production of pure maple syrup is not certified organic like defoamer, filter aid, anything that is used for any cleaning, fertilizer if any is used in the sugarbush and the list goes on and on.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Skidder Kev

I figured It was pretty much pay this amount and you can put it on the label.   Thanks for the fast respones too.

I agree with you Chuck,  but I don't want this topic to start heading that way it might get put in the shed haha.

trumpets3u

As a Maple producer here in Maine We are organic in the way we do it, I believe the trees have to be 8" and the defoamer we uses have to be organic, there are many defoamers that are not.  We Just won't pay the $700 and do the certification. And what we have seen here you can't get any more for the syrup. We just tell forks what we do.
                       Brian

beenthere

USDA link for organic certification...  more political doings...  but as long as their are suckers people willing to pay extra, go for it.

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentidonly=true&contentid=organic-agriculture.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Skidder Kev

I get my syrup from one of our menonite mills and its organic enough for me.   But you are right beenthere people will still buy it cause it has organic on the label even if it is 5 bucks more. 

red oaks lumber

i run my farm by organic standards but, i refuse to give 5% of my total sales for the logo each year. i don't want to make this an agrument about organic but, 2 things that make any organic null and void. 1) air quality 2) acid rain.  :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

goose63

In the store we don't buy any thing organic you gotta die from some thing in the end so I don't care if I have a healthy body in my grave
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Don_Papenburg

Buy all you can from the farm that produced it .  Most farmers tell it like it is . In the store corporate food makers hide the extras with long names .  A lot of national brands of honey a stretched with corn syrup .Check out the peanut butter you have The label should have no more than two ingredients  , Peanuts &salt .If the first words are hydrogenated  something  and if it has food coloring of flavorings don't buy it .   If the maple syrup says corn syrup ,carmel color ,or has added sugars it is crap also  Maple flavor added????????????????
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Chuck White

Our label just says:

Ingredients:  100% pure Maple Syrup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Quote from: Chuck White on December 14, 2014, 10:17:28 PM
Our label just says:

Ingredients:  100% pure Maple Syrup
And I will attest to the quality  ;D, gonna have to get me some more!

coxy

what happens when it says made with blood   sweat   tears and tender loving care   :-\ :D :D :D :D :D

goose63

Quote from: coxy on December 15, 2014, 07:06:24 AM
what happens when it says made with blood   sweat   tears and tender loving care   :-\ :D :D :D :D :D
As long as the blood and sweat and tears are not in the jug it will be ok with me :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

The hype in today's society has turned the word "organic" into a term that means whatever folks willing to pay want it to mean.  It means big $$$ to some folks willing to meet the market and very artificial requirements necessary to be "certified".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skidder Kev

I agree with you magicman its all about the $$ and the word is used way to much now.   I have a little garden in my back yard,  I don't call anything that comes out of it organic I just call it home grown, or fresh from my garden. 

Don_Papenburg

My 1954 Websters encyclopedic dictionary :
ORGANIC, or-gan'ik,Pertaining to an organ or to organs of animals and plants;Pertaning to objects that have organs,hence to the animal and vegetable worlds; exhibiting animal or vegetable life and functions(organic bodies, tissues,&c. )forming a whole with a systematic arrangement of parts; organized; systematized.

Nothing in there about getting a permit from a government goofball so you can call it organic .

The last line also would include geneticly modified plants (forming a whole with systematic arrangement of parts;  )

So I grow organic plants on my farm and have been all my life .  I guess they would be No GM  plants       [No Government Meddling]     And without them I can afford to sell at a lower price with higher quality because I do not spend time doing useless paperwork .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

coxy

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on December 15, 2014, 05:21:26 PM

So I grow organic plants on my farm and have been all my life .  I guess they would be No GM  plants       [No Government Meddling]     And without them I can afford to sell at a lower price with higher quality because I do not spend time doing useless paperwork .
well said  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

timberlinetree

They tap the trees in a nearby cemetery. Is that organic or cannibalism or both? :-\
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!