iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone heard of a LaFont wood splitter?

Started by Mopar70, January 08, 2015, 08:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar70

Hi folks!
new to the forum, Way Cool!!
I have a Lafont SS-450 Super Log Splitter that has been in the family for 30 years.
It will make 2 men old very fast attempting to keep up with it.
its lack of modern day, home owner, splitter safety features are totally awesome.
hit the lever and go get more wood!
my grandfather darn near got in a fight with the rebuild shop when they said the hydraullic servo.. or what ever couldnt be repaired..
low and behold they fixed it..
very little info available, one good video of an ss-500 on youtube.
let me know your thoughts!
Thanks guys !

North River Energy

Very well built (obviously), some might say historically significant.
SS500 is on my want list.

Detailed photos please.

DeerMeadowFarm

Please post a link to the video; I can't seem to find it.... ???

beenthere

Didn't find the video either, but did find some evidence that the LaFont was lacking the safety controls, as mentioned.

This lawsuit, suing the maker of the valve that wasn't a "deadman", i.e. it operated the ram without a person holding the valve lever, a result of a man losing a thumb and both legs in the LaFont splitter.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/1989933888F2d45_1920.xml/CHILDRESS%20v.%20GRESEN%20MFG.%20CO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mopar70

having a hard time posting a pic of the machine
any sugguestions?

beenthere

Can't say for sure what is giving you a hard time, but go to the "Home" page and scroll to the bottom to see where pic posting help is at.
The short of it is.. with a pic in .jpg format on your computer, you upload it into your gallery, and put it in to your post from your gallery. Done by clicking on the "Click here to add Photos to post" line below this posting window. Can upload another pic, or go to "My Gallery" in the menu bar to find a pic posted. Then bring that pic up and scroll down below it to see where you click to link it in your post. Sounds more complicated than it really is.
Let us know which step doesn't work, or is giving you a hard time.We can help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mopar70

Mopar70

put a little effort into my gallery and got these 2 pics up and on there.
Sounds to me like the fellow who lost his legs to a lafont must have been over 6 foot tall.
he must have slipped forward and fell waiste first ontop of the machine with the ram "obviously" ingauged.
care must be taken when operating these machines. 2 people can work these splitters *DanG steady but always keep in mind your not going to out run it. i freqently re ingauge the ram forward before it makes a full return but any further back your risking a crushed hand.
"i pushed my grandfather over hard 1 day when he wasnt paying attention"
I replaced the worn out 8hp this fall with the 10hp that actually was on the machine origionally.
i figured it was toast but actually had 70psi compression.
Wow what a difference, does all the work i need at half throttle 
i made a hydraullic tank heater out of a soldering pencil, i think if i go up to 60watt from 30 i will get better results.
only downfall with these style briggs motors is carburator icing at temps below freezing.

Mopar70

I couldnt find the video i was talking about.
dont think it was on youtube. but there is a video on there of a lafont ram cycle.
at one time the 450 had a hydraulic wedge adjuster, it was removed many years ago do to impracticalites.
alot easier to lift the wedge as you go.

47sawdust

Try Google ,Lafontss550 and the video will come up.That's quite a wood splitter.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

North River Energy

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mopar70

DeerMeadowFarm

That's a nice looking machine there Mopar!

DeerMeadowFarm

What's the spray bottle for in the first picture?
What's the little roller for on the top of the cylinder's push plate for in the 2nd picture?
Do you have any other pictures of the wedge set-up?

Thanks!

beenthere

My guess is that the roller is to kick the control valve in to "neutral" upon return.

And I didn't identify the spray bottle at first, but think you are right about it. Maybe sprays the sliding parts of the head with oil to decrease wear ??
south central Wisconsin

Mopar70

your 100% on the spray bottle and the roller.
I oil up the base of the ram and anything else that looks dry with oil when i am done for the day and cycle the ram a time or two.
I have found a defect in the control cylinder, the end of the cylinder is threaded into the handle asembly
the cylinder-threaded end are free floating and will turn out of the handle.
We had to weld a new bolt onto the end of the cylinder due to this problem.
Thanks guys!

Mopar70

bad terminology.
The control cylinder isnt free floating but likes to turn out of the control valve counter clockwise

logman81

Nice splitter im about ready to pull the trigger on a lafont ss 500 that has all the additional wedges and has been updated and rebuilt some hope to snag it in the up coming week it my loader sale goes through. Might also pickup a little giant conveyor and pair them together for a nice complete package. 🙂
Precision Firewood & Logging

Upstatewoodchuc

There is a LaFont firewood processor for sale near me that I'm real tempted about. Has a timberwolf conveyer added and has been repowered  y a 4 cylinder john deere diesel. Looks old, early 80's ish
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

logman81

I saw that its a massive contraption for sure. A processor would never be a good fit for us our wood that we get isn't pretty enough for one but a heavy duty lafont ss will work out nicely. I've heard they are pretty impressive and quick.

logman81

Getting close to picking up our new to us splitter!

logman81

Picking up the new wood splitter tomorrow morning. 

logman81

stavebuyer

Thank You Sponsors!