iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First post with lots of questions and alittle introduction

Started by Down_hand_dave, December 13, 2015, 11:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down_hand_dave

Like I said in the title this is my first post. Have been a lurker for awhile now and finally decided to start talking on her alittle. First off I live in southwest oklahoma so there is no logging around here. But I want I sawmill so bad I can't stand it! Lol was wondering if anyone knows of any books that I can read to further my general knowledge of milling? I have read not all of the posts on here but I am getting close. (On page 340 of the 415 on this forum)  but still feel like I could learn more from more of a formal kind of book.
  Next thing I guess I should do a little introduction in what I actually do know. I am a welder. Have been my whole life. Started building corrals and corner posts for hire when I was 12. Then after high school started pipeline welding all over  the country. After a few years of that got alittle bored and moved into process piping in petrochemical plants and power plants. Then moved into nuclear plants for a few years. After that I started goin over seas for 6 months at a time and welded whatever the contractor needed. Now after all of that I run a contract welding company here in oklahoma mainly for oilfeild company's but do some large iron hanging from time to time too. Gotta pay the bills you know.
Now for a conclusion on my very long winded first post!! I will be being a homemade band mill project in the next month or so. I enjoy building anything new to me and I have a large pile of "scrape" material at all times laying around so I feel like I will be able to build considerable cheaper than buying new without a loss of quality. My main purpose of my mill will be to mill a purgula for my house and then build a smallish hunting cabin completely from my own logs. Hope to hear about as many books you guys think I need to read as well as any advice you may have for me getting started.

Arkyrick

The first thing I read was a advertisement for Belsaw that was about 1980 anytime I came across any info on sawmills I read it and visited and bought lumber from a local sawmill, I didn't get my first sawmill until about 2006 after I moved to Arkansas, I bought an L15 WM and I've been winging it from then. Its not rocket science  ;D build your sawmill they will come smiley_clapping Also keep reading this forum there is a world of info here.
Arkyrick
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Den-Den

I don't have any advise on books.
I would suggest:
* Look at several commercial designs and choose one to base your machine on
* Make the wheel alignment adjustable in all directions (not all directions have to be capable of adjustment while running)
* Blade tension puts a lot of force on the bearings and shaft - use heavy stuff
* Tires work for wheels but they must NOT have significant radial run-out (I had to grind high spots off of one)
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

fishfighter

Don't know about books, but I new to sawing and I had read up all that I could on the net. Well, let me tell you, I learn something new every time I run my mill. I does help to be able to read a log/lumber as you saw.

Welcome aboard. These guys that saw for a living here will help you out with any and all questions. 8)

Magicman

Hello Down_hand_dave, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

I've gotta wonder where your logs will come from?   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Down_hand_dave

I happen to be very lucky and my family owns plenty of land. We have some very large oaks along Creek bottoms that are straight as can be and plenty of them. I plain on just clearing trees that need to be taken out. Also a major pain all over our state is cedar taking over. That is what I plain on building my purgula out of.
I am gonna buy my wheels preferably cast and then turn them down with axle attached to get as true as possible. Already have material for axles. 2" 1018 rod. Plus Pilar blocks that are made for very large coolers on natural gas compression equipment that spin about 2k Rpm. I am pretty sure I have it over killed enough.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Arkyrick

What's a purgula? I thought you were talking about an Italian pastry   :D
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Down_hand_dave

I need to put a disclaimer on my profile about spelling. I am terrible at it! Plain and simple.  ;D

dustyhat

Welcome aboard, dont worry about spelling most of us know how to sound it out.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Darrel

Welcome to the fourm Down-hand-dave.  And please post pictures of you mill as you build it, we love pictures in these parts.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Down_hand_dave on December 13, 2015, 03:51:05 PM
Also a major pain all over our state is cedar taking over.

I would like to alleviate that pain ;D What kind of cedar is it? and welcome to the FF,
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

dboyt

Welcome to the forum!  Any of that cedar got much size to it?  Most of what I've seen in Oklahoma is scrub too small for anything but Christmas trees.  Looking forward to photos of your progress.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Down_hand_dave

Quote from: kelLOGg on December 14, 2015, 12:45:59 PM
Quote from: Down_hand_dave on December 13, 2015, 03:51:05 PM
Also a major pain all over our state is cedar taking over.

I would like to alleviate that pain ;D What kind of cedar is it? and welcome to the FF,
Bob
We have all eastern red cedar. And lots of it!!
Quote from: dboyt on December 14, 2015, 07:53:53 PM
Welcome to the forum!  Any of that cedar got much size to it?  Most of what I've seen in Oklahoma is scrub too small for anything but Christmas trees.  Looking forward to photos of your progress.
Yes you are rights we have lots and lots of smaller scrub stuff everywhere and it is the pain for us! But I drove down one Creek like last weekend and stopped counting at 40 trees that would have to be at least 20" after butt swell so I know I should be able to what I want. And maybe sell a board or two.

redprospector

Quote from: Chuck White on December 13, 2015, 04:56:49 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Down_hand_dave.

Quote from: Arkyrick on December 13, 2015, 04:54:02 PM
What's a purgula? I thought you were talking about an Italian pastry   :D

http://www.fifthroom.com/pergolas/?gclid=CM75_4Xp2ckCFQcSHwodKWQE5w

Haha! I've seen them before. I didn't know they were supposed to be that way. I figured they ran out of money before they got the roof finished.  :D :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. If you get a chance go and see a couple of mills running. It might help you get a better visual of what you are building. Best of luck to ya.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jdtuttle

Welcome to the forum Dave.
A little book I thought was informative that covers from logging to drying & value added manufacturing is
"Small Sawmill Handbook" by Joseph Denig
Have a great day

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!