iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut Quality

Started by Rougespear, July 27, 2016, 11:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Let me begin by saying I am happy with the cut quality - no dips or dives or anything of the sort cutting at a normal feed speed.  However, my cut is noticeably rougher in the first few inches of the log as the blade enters the cut.  Is this common?  I find I am slowly entering the log then speeding up to full cut speed... are others doing the same?  Or is the rough initial cut quality to be expected?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Dave Shepard

Wash boarding cones from going too slow. Try entering the cut faster.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 27, 2016, 12:03:33 PM
Wash boarding cones from going too slow. Try entering the cut faster.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Yup, the sawyers here on the FF taught me to enter the log at sawing speed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rougespear

Fair enough!  Thanks for the consensus folks... I will give it a go tomorrow when I'm back at the mill site.

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

carykong

The butts on your older logs can be drier and harder that will affect how your blade cuts

drobertson

I get some at times, and just wondering, you guys that enter at speed, do or have you marked a set point for cutspeed for your setting?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

caveman

Regarding the entry speed and a mark.  I do not have a mark on the speed knob but try to enter at approximately the speed at which I would saw the log.  If sawing a 6" cant, I hit it pretty fast.  If entering a 16" cant, I slow down quite a bit compared to the smaller cant but still at a speed at which I expect the saw can handle.  Sometimes I speed up or slow down a bit during the cut, especially prior to making a cant, based on the width of the cut (log taper).

I was getting the washboard appearance on some of the wide cuts until I sped up as a result of advice from the sagacious sawyers on this forum.  It was a bit scary to me the first time I ran the moving blade into a large log at speed but the resulting cut was a big improvement.
Caveman
Caveman

drobertson

I hear that, it goes both ways here, entry pine knots are hard for me to (slam) into but the concept is on for the majorirtory of sawing
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodmills1

when I enter hardwood fast, esp oak I get a bump up from the blade rising then coming back down.  For some jobs it is not a problem but for trailers and horse fence it makes it tough on the installers.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

terrifictimbersllc

In my experience cutting flat in stump grain on the end of a log benefits from slower speed, at odds with a fast entry to avoid washboard.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

I use the dragback to pull the board back and off the mill, so as I'm tailing the board, I've put the mill in forward and let it enter the log hands off, some times I'm several feet away wrestling with a slab.  Normally, I'm not pushing the saw speed doing this, it more of a sweet spot feed speed.  By the time I get back, the saw has made its cut, and I return the carriage and do it all over again.

I don't do is all the time, and am very conscious of cut quality, but the way I see it, a bandsaw resaw never slows it's feed down to enter the cut, so I shouldn't have to, unless something odd is happening.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

drobertson

Resaws are sweet!  They for sure speed through, even without the 1/4 inch down!  They still defect even with narrow saw widths at times, bottom line in my view is each cut is of its own, some are easy others require some attention, even if some blade stuff occurs, it will, or should if need be planned out.

YellowHammer

Quote from: drobertson on July 29, 2016, 09:03:58 PM
each cut is of its own
I like your phrase, "Each cut is of its own" because it applies to much more than sawing.
It sounds like a song title.... smiley_guitarist
We need to get "The Project" band to kick in.
r
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks gang members.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

David (drobertson) does have a unique way with words.  I always enjoy reading his posts.

"Some people just have a way with words, and other people...oh... not have way."
                                                                              Steve Martin
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 30, 2016, 05:53:18 PM
Looks gang members.  ;D
Yeah, they are a rough looking crowd.   :D  But they sound good.
YellowHammerisms:

drobertson

Now uins are serious bout one thing fer sure, music and sawing go hand in hand!

plowboyswr

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 31, 2016, 07:39:37 PM
David (drobertson) does have a unique way with words.  I always enjoy reading his posts.

"Some people just have a way with words, and other people...oh... not have way."
                                                                              Steve Martin

Ya ought to hear him in person!
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

esteadle

Do you have rough quality on "both" sides of the cut? Or is the top board smooth on the bottom, and the cant side rough? Vice-Versa?

As your blade enters and clears away sawn material, it creates a channel for the blade body, which helps keeps the blade straight through the cut.
In the first inch or two of the cut, perhaps the blade could be wandering?

Have you checked the parallel of the blade to your frame rails? To do this, lay a straight steel edge (a good level will do) over the unswaged tooth of a blade, and perpendicular to the direction of blade travel, and measure the height of the ends of the straight edge off of the bed rails. If these are different, you could re-set your roller guides and get them parallel and see if that helps?

Rougespear

Good point esteadle... I never thought of checking the underside of the board being sawn.

I will also confirm the guide settings... they were just set correctly recently but I have knocked them with the side supports since.

Thank You Sponsors!