The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37  (Read 12910 times)

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
Re: Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2021, 12:25:25 PM »
We've had a bit more than 3.5in of much needed rain between Thursday at 5pm, and when I dumped the rain gauge at 7am today (Sun). I'm not complaining, we really need the rain, but I need to move wood too!  It wasn't raining when I started at 7:30 this am, just overcast.  First log through the processor started good, the the splitter started auto cycling on it's own... Got the tools out and made on small adjustment on a small stopper/bolt. The machine is ALL mechanical, so from time to time you may need to add a tad of weld,or tweak a bolt.  Of course while I eas twisting the wrenches, it started to rain. Out comes the ultra high tech severe weather gear, ie, the 8x10 pop up from Princess Auto. It keeps most of the water off of me when processing, most. My buddy showed up once the machine was back up and running. The rain slowed as we got first cord done. I got the first trailer moved and the empty trailer backed under the processor. That when it really started raining!  We got that cord done, it was a bit of a challenge, then we called it a day!  I was soaked and headed in for a hot shower.  I'll finish cleaning the processor area, fuel equipment, dump sawdust, and deliver wood later, I think it's time for a rest, and wait til that Sun thing that's now peeking out to do a bit of drying!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2021, 06:48:29 PM »
update - We've been plugging away mostly getting 3 cords done a weekend some weeks better, some not.  After today we're up to 77 cord done and delivered so far.  I know I've got another 10ish cord worth of orders to complete then we'll work on topping off all our own wood cribs (me and my buddys/helpers/friends, try and stay 2 years ahead on wood)

My portable PTO unit has been acting a bit hoo-key lately, the belt seems to slip way more than it used to.  I am gonna try and investigate that at some point this week, after I reload the log deck
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2021, 11:40:07 PM »
look close at the vee of your pulleys, the cheek area of the sheaves will wear out and go from being an A belt to a B belt basically.  they'll slip in time. 
Isaiah 63:10

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2021, 05:54:02 AM »
Mike, I was thinking it'd be something like that. Pretty sure they are TSC pulley made out of some Chineseum metal.  I had a load to deliver yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. It also has a few tension springs that are probably due for replacing.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »
new, bigger idler/tensioner pulley and a stronger tensioner spring installed this evening.  I ran it for a few with the belt cover off, seems to track fine, we'll give it a hot suppah test tomorrow!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
So...I'm not too bright.  I got my little PTO unit all tuned up, new belt, bigger idler pulley, bigger tension spring, all in an effort to make sure that when the processor is splitting nd hits a hard chunk/spot/knot that the TO unit doesn't slip it's belt and not put the power to the hydo pump, where I need it.  The first tree through was a small, maybe 8in dia red oak, pretty straight not many limbs... yeah, it started to slip on the second block through. I tried profanity, but that didn't fix it! I had my brother run the machine a bit while I inspect ed things. Yeah, turns out that it wasn't my newly repaired portable PTO unit slipping, it was the hydro drive belts on the machine!  Power from thr PTO drives a gearbox with 1 pulley off the front and a triple pulley on the rear. The front pulley is a constant to the elevator, the triple runs the hydro pump, somewhere in there is a belt to the chainsaw too??? Anyway, I shut everything down and re-tensioned the triple belts, low and behold, no more slipping! At least most of the maintenance on the PTO Unit is done!

Couple pics, this is some of the stuff we're feeding the processor right now, a good mix of oak and maple with a bit of black birch, beech, and ash. I got 2 tri axle loads of this stuff, and 95% of it can go through my little machine!

I had this other landing all cleaned up on Sat afternoon.  Then Sunday a friend called and had to take a few more trees down for a driveway on a new house lot. Guess I won't complain about free logs! A few are outdoor boiler bound, the rest are firewood. The giant oak butts were payment to my buddy for trucking

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2021, 12:11:27 PM »
Swearing didnt fix it because you didnt throw enough tools.  Try harder next time. 

;)

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
Mike, I knew I forgot something!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
hey it happens.  keep an eye on the mail, i sent out billing invoices on thursday.  smiley_contract_point

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2021, 07:24:48 PM »
I will send you an envelope full of Biden Bucks :(
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2021, 09:49:01 PM »
I was hoping for barge bucks but ill take what i can get!

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2021, 06:07:34 PM »
This weekend was just a bit of firewood but plenty of family, friends and fun!

A buddy of mine gave us tickets to a Boston Bruins preseason game Thurs night. GREAT seats! It was my son's first game (he's 11), and he made it to the start of the 3rd before me and the wife figured it was time to head home. We had a great time and I only got turned around in the city ONCE!

Friday I took off from work.  The local fair was going on, we kept the boy home and headed over as a family once the wife was done milking cows. We did plenty of walking, looking, eating, and visiting.  I help out in the tractor pull area every year and headed down to that mid day.  Spent the rest of the night hooking tractors or honing the track, had a blast. A bunch of my buddies helped out too, and it's a real good group that comes and pulls each year.  Saturday was more the same, tractor s in the am, trucks at night.  It was a long day(and night), but again we had FUN.

Sunday, I slept in!  Made pancakes, reloaded the basement firewood racks and did a cord of campwood. 

A great weekend for sure!

I did some math too, 88 cord done up so far this year
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2021, 10:41:55 PM »
Does anyone from the mass TPA pull at your event? 

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »
What fair was that one? Always on the lookout for ones with a good agricultural base.

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2021, 07:54:07 AM »
Mike, I'm not aware of the Massachusetts Toiletpaper Association.  Is that a State agency of the Commonwealth or a local thing? ;D

I think most of the truck puller are from the Conn. Valley.  I see a lot of VT plates, as well as NH, on the tow rigs.  Like I said they are a nice bunch.  The tractor guys are from all over.  Plenty of NH guys, as well as Mass, VT, and a few as far as CT.

Newoodguy78,

It's Deerfield Fair, over here in Rockingham County.  Pretty good AG fair,  AND it's 10-15 minutes from home!

Have you been to Fryeburg Fair just over the boarder in Maine? Great AG fair 15-20 minutes outside of Conway
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2021, 09:07:32 AM »
With how scared of covid those urban yankees are they probably have started toilet paper associations and co-ops by now!  :D

MTPA = mass truck pullers association, they tend to run at the fairs in the berkshires, a bunch of trucks got built at the diesel shop i worked at.  A purple 2 wheeler dodge dakota with an alcohol blown hemi would probably be the most memorable. Same guy also runs a yellow 4wd squarebody GM with big with wide paddles, headers up out of the hood and broken pistons dangling all over the front bumper. 

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2021, 12:49:52 PM »
I have been to both of those fairs. Deerfield is one of the best in NH in my opinion. Youre lucky to live so close. Fryeburg seems to be in kind of a league of their own, the amount of Oxen and livestock it draws in is phenomenal. 
Both are my kind of fair agricultural base and always clean and tidy.

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2021, 06:59:02 PM »
Mike,

I'd have remembered the yellow chevy with pistons hanging if I saw it, that would be unique!  I don't think many trucks came from the Commonwealth. Maybe our Live Free or Die state motto scares them? :D. It'd be great if śome came up next year, this group seems pretty good, seen on more than one occasion guys helping out there competition with parts, wrenching, and sometimes that pat on the back with the "I've been there before"

The thing I like about the truck and tractor pullers is they show up to put on or be part of a show and are given free entry into the fair as a result, makes sense to me.  I come from a circle track racing background.  You pay MORE money to get into the pits and compete, and put on a show ???

newoodguy78,

You over by the Cheshire Fairgrounds area?  I haven't been there in forever!

We are pretty lucky to live in the area.  Two of the things I like the most is the AG atmosphere, and that the grounds are well kept.  My wifes family sent a pair of calves to a local high school FFA class, and they were in the petting barn.  The students do a great job with the animals, and when they return them in June they'll be the most pampered heifers on the farm!

Fryeburg is great. I love the indoor pull arena.  They get animals from all over for the pull too.  They've always had a pretty good Lumbermen's day each year too. It's super clean, nice buildings, and real nice people. We missed it again this year, too much corn to cut and such. We'll get there again sooner vs later
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2021, 07:23:49 PM »
I grew up about 20 minutes south of the Cheshire fairgrounds. I havent been to it since cant remember when. Last time I went the carnival side of it seemed to have taken over. Sad to see but not much of any ag left in Cheshire county. Props to you for having a wife that milks cows. Take care of her sure shes a good one . 
Got many acres left to chop?

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2021, 10:23:43 PM »
Down to the last field. Brother in law wants to try and finish tomm.  I will head up and help after getting 2-3 cord done in the am
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
hakki pilke 1x37

Started by 2308500 on Firewood and Wood Heating

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2021, 12:01:36 AM
by 2308500
xx
Hakki 1x37 power plant

Started by kirk105s on Firewood and Wood Heating

0 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 07:44:19 AM
by kirk105s