iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made my first axe handle

Started by 21incher, July 17, 2017, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I broke the handle on a 30 year old camping axe a little while back and could not locate a exact replacement so I tried making one. I don't have any hickory so I decided to try using ash. Time will tell how long it lasts. A couple hours with a spoke shave, files, and sandpaper and the axe is like new again. Just have to find a hickory tree for future handles now that I know how easy they are to make. :)

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

JV

Nice job.  I'm sure the ash will work fine.  I have an old shave horse and handle making is very enjoyable.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Kbeitz

I have been using dogwood for my handles.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

caveman

That is a good looking handle.  I think the ash should serve you well.  I have made replacement handles for my 3 lb. hammer and my 2 lb. ball peen handle out of ash and they have held up to my use so far.
Caveman

bucknwfl

Persimmon is where it's at

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

trapper

I used a disc grinder for mine.  A few years back there was a thread on the forum on how to make them by one of our northern members.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WDH

Good job.  Nice walnut board.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Quote from: JV on July 17, 2017, 10:14:52 PM
Nice job.  I'm sure the ash will work fine.  I have an old shave horse and handle making is very enjoyable.
It was fun and relaxing to make. First time I used a spoke shave and I now have to make a shave horse for other projects.

Quote from: WDH on July 18, 2017, 07:32:56 AM
Will trade walnut for hickory  ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

bucknwfl

Don't start that with WDH he will be cutting down every hickory in Georgia
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

WDH

I just happen to have some pecan which is a hickory  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

"Will trade walnut for hickory"

You tell me when the log truck load of walnut is heading my way and I'll send a fully loaded truck of hickory to your place.  8)
HM126

btulloh

But ash makes great handles.  And bats.
HM126

grouch

Quote from: 21incher on July 17, 2017, 08:59:26 PM
I broke the handle on a 30 year old camping axe a little while back and could not locate a exact replacement so I tried making one. I don't have any hickory so I decided to try using ash. Time will tell how long it lasts. A couple hours with a spoke shave, files, and sandpaper and the axe is like new again. Just have to find a hickory tree for future handles now that I know how easy they are to make. :)

Looks really nice!

I'd suggest cutting that doe's foot off the end. A square cut allows you to bump the end of the handle on a stump to drive the head back on tight. I'd also suggest that oil is the only proper finishing material for a handle -- either your skin oil or something like linseed. Manufacturers like to do paint and varnish or polyurethane for marketing, but it makes blisters or slick grips. Scraping with broken glass makes a really good surface for gripping. (Had a grand (or great?) uncle who growled at me for using sandpaper on a handle. Said I might as well buy one if I was gonna put all those scratches in it to collect crap).
Find something to do that interests you.

Bruno of NH

Nice work
Nothing like a wooden handle and best when you make it your self
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

Quote from: grouch on July 18, 2017, 01:48:56 PM
Quote from: 21incher on July 17, 2017, 08:59:26 PM

Looks really nice!

I'd suggest cutting that doe's foot off the end. A square cut allows you to bump the end of the handle on a stump to drive the head back on tight. I'd also suggest that oil is the only proper finishing material for a handle -- either your skin oil or something like linseed. Manufacturers like to do paint and varnish or polyurethane for marketing, but it makes blisters or slick grips. Scraping with broken glass makes a really good surface for gripping. (Had a grand (or great?) uncle who growled at me for using sandpaper on a handle. Said I might as well buy one if I was gonna put all those scratches in it to collect crap).

I have to say that I don't agree with you. The doe's foot allows me to get a good grip at the end of the shorter handle which is usefull on a small axe and there is a small flat on the end. The original was sanded and varnished which suited me well for over 30 years so the news one received the same treatment. We all like different flavors of ice cream. :)

21incher

Quote from: btulloh on July 18, 2017, 12:51:03 PM
"Will trade walnut for hickory"

You tell me when the log truck load of walnut is heading my way and I'll send a fully loaded truck of hickory to your place.  8)
You would have loved the 3 log truck loads of walnut they took from the farm down the road. The small logs were 24 inches and most were 3 feet. :) 

grouch

Quote from: 21incher on July 18, 2017, 07:36:55 PM
[snip]

We all like different flavors of ice cream. :)

That's all well and good... but if you don't like real strawberry ice cream with dry roasted peanuts stirred in it, you're just not human! Might be some kind of invading alien life form out to pollute our precious bodily fluids.

If that axe fits your hand then it not only looks good, it is good. And both of those would be true whether it's your first or your 500th.

As to the material, I'd take ash for a swinging handle over straight grained hickory sapwood any day.
Find something to do that interests you.

Kbeitz

Many years ago when I was young and thought I knew everything I replaced
a broken wood ax handle with a steel pipe. That steel pipe almost took off
my ear. I heated a chunk of black plastic pipe and slid it over the steel. It
looked real good but it hurts when it bites back. It now sits in the corner of
the shop collecting dust reminding me not to do that again.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

123maxbars

Quote from: WDH on July 18, 2017, 07:32:56 AM

haha Danny always looking for walnut!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Good looking handle. I use ash also sometimes. I am an axe junkie with way too many axes the wife says,

What brand axe is that/makers mark? looks like a GBA maybe.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

21incher

Quote from: 123maxbars on July 19, 2017, 08:18:16 AM
Good looking handle. I use ash also sometimes. I am an axe junkie with way too many axes the wife says,

What brand axe is that/makers mark? looks like a GBA maybe.
It is a Sandvic 1 3/4 pound camp axe that I purchased over 30 years ago for canoe camping trips. I first tried replacing it with a 2 lb boys axe from TSC and there was no comparison so the only option was make a handle. :)

21incher

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 19, 2017, 03:30:35 AM
Many years ago when I was young and thought I knew everything I replaced
a broken wood ax handle with a steel pipe. That steel pipe almost took off
my ear. I heated a chunk of black plastic pipe and slid it over the steel. It
looked real good but it hurts when it bites back. It now sits in the corner of
the shop collecting dust reminding me not to do that again.
I have a large ballpein hammer that my dad found at the dump and welded a pipe handle to the head. 1 good strike will make your hand numb for a hour, I guess that is why he wore heavy leather gloves when using it . That one also sits in a drawer as a reminder. Estwing seems to be the only manufacturer that makes good steel handled tools.  :)

21incher

Quote from: grouch on July 18, 2017, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: 21incher on July 18, 2017, 07:36:55 PM
[snip]

We all like different flavors of ice cream. :)

That's all well and good... but if you don't like real strawberry ice cream with dry roasted peanuts stirred in it, you're just not human! Might be some kind of invading alien life form out to pollute our precious bodily fluids.

If that axe fits your hand then it not only looks good, it is good. And both of those would be true whether it's your first or your 500th.

As to the material, I'd take ash for a swinging handle over straight grained hickory sapwood any day.

I like pistachio, don't eat strawberry.   ;D . Doesn't seem to have any strange vibrations after a couple good hits,  it is nice and solid. I am going to start picking up some more heads from flea markets and fix a couple more old gems. :)

Magicman

Very nice job building that axe handle Ed.

My favorite axe has an Elm handle, (but I didn't build it).

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!