iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine Rebuild.

Started by bama20a, April 21, 2013, 08:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

Hello all: Need a little help, I'm doing an inframe build on a Perkins engine,& was wondering what is the best (easy) ;)Way to get the piston liners out.These are the type that is to thin to get a liner puller a hold to.
A friend said he alway cut them out,But man these thing are hard.So what do you use to cut them with stupid_smiley.Please any help???? Mark.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Al_Smith

I've never done it but heard about it .One method they used to use on dry sleeve engines was to freeze the liner with a co2 fire extinguisher and drive the sleeve out with a hammer .You'd need to move fast because once it warms up again it would seize again .

Another method which I've never tried was using a mild steel rod and welding a down hand pass down two places in the sleeve .Suppossedly it would warp the sleeve enough to allow it to slip out . You might have to google it because if a puller wouldn't work I'm out of ideas short of machining a perfect fit for a puller out of thick steel .

sawguy21

Can you drive them up from the bottom? I have used Al's method on frozen bolts. The metal gets compressed as it is being heated because it can't expand, when it cools it shrinks to a smaller diameter than original.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I'm assuming it's a dry sleeve engine .If you Google it there a vid clip of a guy pulling a  dry sleeve with all thread rod and a wrench 3 feet long .It worked but it took him 6 hours to pull one sleeve .Hydraulics would have done it a lot faster .

As I alluded to I've never pulled a dry sleeve ,plenty of wet sleeves though .They aren't that bad even with all thread but it takes a big rod and a big wrench .Might help if you had a  trained gorilla on the wrench too else it takes a lot of rest breaks .Pulling 4 on a Cat D4 is about a 12 pack job .

chevytaHOE5674

Weld vertical passes inside the liner until it shrinks and warps enough to pop out. Done many that way and its works slick.

Mark K

I've used the same method numerous times that chevytaHOE uses. Works every time.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Corley5

Works for bearing races too  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

martyinmi

Don't weld with too much penetration.
My brother welded a bit too deep trying to pop out sleeves on a '39 M Farmall about 25 years ago-back when they were still worth a lot for antique tractor pulling.
He messed one bore up so bad that it was unsalvageable.
Cost him 400 bucks way back then for another '39 block. :embarassed:
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

DDDfarmer

Only ever heard of the welding method.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

bama20a

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on April 21, 2013, 07:58:28 PM
Weld vertical passes inside the liner until it shrinks and warps enough to pop out. Done many that way and its works slick.
Sorry I havn't responed to this before,But I've been on the road again & just got in. :'(,
Could this be done with a torch?Heat it alittle at a time? All though the trick would be ,How much to heat.
I'm hoping to get back on this today. Mark,,,,,,

Al_Smith

All heat in itself would do is expand the sleeve .The deal with the weld is as it cools it "draws" the sleeve somewhat .In essence the weld material would draw in more so than the sleeve .

Like I said you could do it with large all thread rod but being a dry sleeve the bottom plate  of the puller would have to be a very close fit with the counter bore of the sleeve .

If you had a rod puller you might be able to fill the sleeve with dry ice and cause some shrinkage  .That's just a guess .

Then again you might be able to rent a hydraulic puller which would save you a lot of time and probabley a few skinned knuckles as well .

bama20a

Well I'm back ;D,Did get the liners out,As I've said I'm gone alot so don't get much time to work on the motor,Then when I do every thing around here is closed as far as parts go.
Anyway, I got an enjine kit,Now of all things I can't get the new liners back in ::),
I've busted two trying at $25.00 apiece I don't need to do that again.
I was told to put them in the  freezer for around 24 hrs ,before I install them,I did.Also honed out the cylinder walls good.Still no go.
they will start I'm taking a framing square & making sure I'm starting them in right.
I've tried diff- cylinders,
The parts store says they have gave me the right parts,But I've never had this much trouble before. I'm limited on the amount of time that I get to do anything & then I'm gone for another week or 2.
Any help Please,Mark,,,,

Al_Smith

The standard press fit I think is around 1 thou per inch of bore diameter so it's pretty tight I would think .

If there were a way to heat the block and freeze the sleeve you could get a leg up. With using threaded rod I'm afraid as slow as it is the heat would expand the sleeve faster than you could install it .Maybe a long deep socket and a high powered air driven impact wrench .

Ah brain storm .What about packing the sleeve full of dry ice ?

Al_Smith

I thought of something else in my junk yard dawg brain .

The method they used for years and years in the factory for hardened insert valve seats in cast iron cylinder heads was to freeze the seats in liquid nitrogen .

Now in a repair shop they don't have the means for nitrogen .They gave them a squirt from a co2 fire extinguisher and got the same results .

Ha going back to my wilder days of youth I know a little squirt of CO2 can cool off a case of beer pretty quickly .Too much you have a beer popsicle . :D

millwright

I have put in quite a few dry sleeves by freezing the sleeves and warming the cyl. with a small rosebud, be very careful not to use too much heat, try for around 180-200 degs. It would also help if you could make a threaded rod puller to pull the sleeve into the hole, rather than pounding on it. Good luck.

chevytaHOE5674

Track down some dry ice. Pack the liner in dry ice and then leave the block out in the hot sun and get it warmed up. With the sleeve chilled on dry ice you should be able to press them in. A hydraulic press would be best to push them in but a threaded rod pusher would probably work.

WH_Conley

Chevy it the nail on the head. Dry ice will do the trick. Hot sun helps.
Bill

bama20a

Dry ice. Where would I start looking for it?

chevytaHOE5674

Party supply stores, shipping places, butchers, chemical/gas suppiers, grocery stores, etc. Ask around and you will be able to find it.

Thank You Sponsors!