iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbery sawmills - any experience? any opinions?

Started by LoomBuilder, September 25, 2013, 11:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoomBuilder

At this past weekend's Mother Earth News Fair at the nearby Seven Springs Resort in Champion, PA I had an opportunity to spend a bit of time examining sawmills from Wood-Mizer, Norwood, and Hud-Son and, much to my surprise, a new model from Timbery, a company that I was not familiar with at all prior to the show.  I feel that I'm pretty familiar with the offerings from the other three vendors as I seem to be stuck in a perpetual shopping/researching but unable to buy mode (a very sad state!) but the Timbery was all new to me.  This line of mills is now being sold and supported in my region by Parsons Outdoor Power Equipment and while I didn't have an opportunity to speak directly with Marty I did talk to the folks manning the booth as well as with a couple of other Fair-goers who were also evaluating mills.  It seems that these mills are slotted a bit lower in price than similarly equipped Wood-Mizer or Norwood mills while having lots of nice features for the money.  The mill on display was the model M285, a portable mill with solid bed, loading ramps, and winch that would price out quite a bit lower than a LT15GO.  I liked the adjustability of the log rests by turning about a quarter turn, adjusting the height, and turning them back in place.  This is accomplished by a set of teeth on the back of the rest that can be lined up with a slot in the sawmill frame.  It's a bit difficult to describe (and I don't have a good photo as it was starting to rain when I was looking at the mill up close) but works very quickly and securely.  I also liked the crank-style trailer jacks which would make leveling the mill a quick operation once onsite.  Operator controls were straightforward and I liked that the sawdust chute was on the opposite side of the mill.  With it's mix of features, competitive pricing, and backing by a very reputable dealer it looks like a very good option but I haven't been able to find much information about them.  A search here on the forum turned up one entry from 2010 so I'm wondering... does anyone here on the forum own one of these and if so what do you think about the mill and what are its good points and not-so-good points?  Any information you care to share would be appreciated!

Larry

Here are a couple of photos of the mill.  Sorry that they're not more detailed.

p.s. I just loved hanging out down by the sawmills at the Fair.  The smell of sawdust, the logs turning into boards, the interest of the people passing by, and especially the friendly demo people from all the vendors made it a great part of the weekend.  To be honest, if I had the cash the LT40 would be my first choice in a sawmill but I have neither the budget nor the need for such a machine but it still was great watching it in operation!
Granberg Alaskan with Stihl 066 power, looking for bandsaw mill

hamish

There is very little information available regarding Timbery.  Originally a Canadian company out of New Brunswick, always pretty much had two mills available an edger and other forestry equipment available.

Looked and drooled over there mills at many a show and wouldn't hesitate buying one.

Rumour had it that Timbery was purchased by Woodmizer, but neither company will confirm or deny it.

Some very innovative designs on there mills.

If I didn't already have my Norwood, Timbery would be my other choice.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

dboyt

Quote from: hamish on September 25, 2013, 11:29:16 PM
Rumour had it that Timbery was purchased by Woodmizer, but neither company will confirm or deny it.

The mill was at the WoodMizer booth.

Timbery has a mill entered in the Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out next week at the Paul Bunyan show in Cambridge, Ohio, where it will go head-to-head with Norwood, EZ Boardwalk, WoodMizer, Baker, and Peterson.  Stay tuned.

If I needed to replace my mill, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Norwood!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Stevie ok

I just bought a timbery M285/ Subaru 20.5 .i also got the siding jig , ramp and loader with it as well. I am a newb in the forum and business . So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated . I've milled a dozen of cedar logs so far to make into siding . Will send pics in the future .

thecfarm

Stevie ok,welcome to the forum. Sawing cedar,what's the plan for that? Suggestions? Read past post and saw and saw and saw. Ask away and we will help. Make sure the log stops are down too. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stevie ok

Oh yes ,.i'll try to remember about the stops ,lol . The siding I'll be supplying it to my brother , he has a cabin which could use a facelift It's only to practice wood I had laying around . I got a cedar stand I'm gonna be cutting soon .

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Stevie ok, sounds like you got a good one, I saw these mills at the Shoot-out earlier in Oct.  the Subaru's
seemed to be a very good engine, I noticed them used on allot of varying equipment throughout the Paul Bunyan show. Looking forward to some pictures!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Stevie ok

Thanks fellow sawyers ! I'm gonna be reading past post for the next hour or so .

bery

Yes, I have a 280. I posted how mine is working and my experience with it as well as what I added to mine. I made the mistake of posting my comments some were else on the forum-sorry. If you look hard you should be able to find it.

thecfarm

bery,welcome to the forum. Glad you like your mill. I have seen them at a show.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bery

I thought I would try to post a few pics of my set up. How do I do this? I opened my photo shop and tryed to drag one over to the window, did not work.

thecfarm

They have to be put into a gallery that you put pictures into. Jeff likes them that way so there are very few red x's on here. Looks like a lot,but it is not.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Billbob

Timbery's are sold by a local dealership here in New Brunswick.  Base price $3,250cdn.  Their company headquarters is Indianapolis, IN.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

bery

Ianab

Almost got it.

Go down the page and find the section with the image code. Looks like this
[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/32320/DSCN1693.JPG[/img]

Just copy that text into the post, and you get...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

bery

I had an AC-C at one time and had some left over paint i got at Farm store. So I used it to try to match Tembery. Not exact but very close. This old trailer I had sitting around for 25 yrs. I cut a house trailer axle tube down and used it for my axle with springs/wheels installed. I'm a tall guy and did not wont to bend over all the time, so I designed my set up so I could keep my back straight as I work around the mill. Thanks for posting pic, I will try to post more or you can post the rest for me and then I will comment on them later.

thecfarm

bery

bery

I added the wench before I added hydro, so I could turn the log or add ramps to bring the log onto the trailer. Haven't used much.

thecfarm

That looks good. I see lumber stickered in the back too.

Thank You Sponsors!