iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Journey

Started by terry f, June 09, 2014, 01:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

OR-7 (Journey) is a wolf that was the 7th one collared with a GPS in Oregon. This wolf went from Northeast Oregon, to California, and back into Oregon looking for a mate. After a couple thousand miles, looks like he found one. Whatever someone's views on wolves are, this is quite a story. Who would have thought a female would be wondering around the Southern Cascades, and for him to find her.

thecfarm

Journey,good name for him.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

That would be quite a story.  Kinda like mine in the early days, took 10 years for me to find that wandering female! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

chain

Guess that explains why a gray wolf was shot and killed in SEMO this past deer season. The wolf was a two year old 80 lb. female; of course, the MDC says there are no breeding populations of wolves in Missouri. Same as Mountain Lions, supposedly all the recent sightings of 'cats were young males from upper plains states Nebraska, South Dakota coming down the Missouri Valley looking for mates.

Can't you see a wolf or 'cat meeting up with a respective mate and saying,"this is Mizzou we can't make a family here' lets run back up home a few hundred miles or so and set-up housekeeping!" ???

Texas Ranger

strange, I met my mate in Mizzou, and moved to Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sandhills

No chain, the big cats couldn't have possibly come from Nebraska, they tell us the same thing  ::).

backwoods sawyer

I spent a few years working with the Jackson cr cougar study prior to the band on hound hunting. (southern Cascades)
In the study area they expected to find 14-16 full time cats and half a dozen travelers. Turned out to be 35 full time cats and 18 travlers the we tagged. Bear population was also running about double what they were expecting. The study numbers were not made public until after the vote to ban hound hunting of them ::) One young male from the studdy area took off on a walkabout and his signal was picked up as far south as the Sacramento area he later returned to the oregon side if the boarder on the east side of the Cascades.
35 Years ago my stepdad was trapping Martin when trapped a lone Worverine in the high Cascades that had a Canadian tag. All these critters can cover ground.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

terry f

Looks like another Oregon wolf, OR-18, took off and ended up in Montana, and was illegally killed. Hopefully they will catch the poacher and convict him, but I find the miles these critters can travel incredible.

Magicman

Quote from: terry f on June 18, 2014, 05:03:12 AMLooks like another Oregon wolf, OR-18, took off and ended up in Montana, and was illegally killed. Hopefully they will catch the poacher and convict him, but I find the miles these critters can travel incredible. 
Just curious, do you know for a fact that it was illegally killed?  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terry f

Montana is offering a reward for the poacher, so I guess it was illegal. You can go to Oregon Wild, they have a story on it.

Magicman

OK, but it would have helped if you had provided a link so that the story could have been followed through. LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terry f

Sorry Magicman, I honestly don't know how to post a link.

Magicman

:D  OK, do like me and Google it.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!