iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG BURL

Started by pasbuild, August 15, 2004, 07:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

Who knew I sat by the fire shootin the bull about bear huntin with an ARTIST :)
Really fine man ..howz the Mrs back doin?
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

pasbuild

Getting better slow but sure, hard to get her to take it EZ  >:(
She quite her job today, that should make her feel a hole bunch better.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

Nice work pasbuild.
When you said you find alot of cherry burl in one place the first thing that popped into my mind is this guy is gathering black knot infected cherry. But those bowls don't look like black knot or they'de be full of black gum pockets. All my cherry have black knot which wouldn't be as nice as those pieces you have for turning. They may be ok if ya slice off the infection and use the heartwood of the main stem.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pasbuild

One of my neighbors came over to help me put the BIG BURL to the knife ;)

I was a little disappointed in that it didn't have that crazy grain pattern that is often found in burls.I cut three burl caps, four table tops and the rest was cut 4 to 6 in. thick for bowl blanks. there was some nice color variation were the heart wood grew into the burl and a little spalting were the heart wood ended and the burl wood --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v418/pasbuild/poto3burlslice.jpg[/img]                                                                                                                            

SwampDonkey

pasbuild:

Ever get any burls that are cherry red? Some of our yellow birch get cherry red up here and the bark is usually silver-grey in those specimens. Some fellas call them silver birch. But I think its like trembling aspen sometimes, such as the fact that some of them have white bark like white birch (it doesn't peel of course) and others are greyish-green. Must be just the environment they grow in.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pasbuild

I'v had spruce burls with red, purple, green and every kind of brown you can think of in them( not all in one burl), some of the cheery burls can be a bright red, some will be loaded with eyes on the outside layers.
I'v had hard maple burls that look like they were mineral stained with every color from black to a pinkish color all in the same burl, they make an outstanding looking bowl when you get them shined up.

SwampDonkey

I've seen birds eye in yellow birch and white ash also. I didn't know it was in yellow birch until a lad was splitten stove wood and brought a piece with the bark still on it, definately yellow birch.

pasbuild

Our white ash burls look like they have eye from the --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v418/pasbuild/ashbark.jpg[/img]
on the inside they also look like eyes but I'v never had anybody call them --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v418/pasbuild/2ashburl.jpg[/img]

SwampDonkey

The birds eye I've seen is in the straight grain, not the burls. Although, the burls of birds eye figured trees probably have it.

Gilman

Nice looking bowls Pasbuild, but now you've got to share what kind of lathe you have.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

SwampDonkey

Alot of this burl is covered by cold white fluffy stuff. ;D

~ 48 inch dbh White Elm, the skis are 8 feet tall. :)

Thank You Sponsors!