iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goldfinch invasion

Started by Norm, May 07, 2012, 08:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

It is our state bird but still I have never seen so many goldfinches in my life! Must be at least a hundred of them in my yard feasting on the dandelion seeds which are more than abundant this year too. The other thing we have tons of this year is butterflies, I was plowing next to a wooded area and there were thousands of them in there feeding on the wildflowers.

Anyone else noticed the numbers of birds and butterflies in their area?

Jeff

I love gold finches. We used to have them around mom and dad's call the time. Of course we always just called them canaries. Mom and Dad's was only about 30 miles south of here, but I have never saw one here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

The only bad thing is we have tons of big windows on our house and they run into them while chasing each other around.

This little guy was only stunned and flew away right after I took his picture.

Chuck White

We have a lot of Gold Finches in this area, year 'round!

In winter, they turn a shade of green!

They come to the bird feeder at the window!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

We have them year ropung too but there does sem to be more in the spring and summer. Very pretty bird and a pleasant song.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Burlkraft

We have very few so far this year. You must have them all Norm!

We usually have big flocks of them and this year we have a few but nothing like years past.

What we do have a lot of this year is cardinals and gross beaks.

Go figger?
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Autocar

We have alot of them in west central Ohio its been a number of years ago but I pulled up on a old plank bridge and was watching minnows swimming in this little creek when all of a sudden a canarie swoops down and grabs a minnow right out of the water. It lands on a weed and worked that minnow around in its beak till the head was faseing in then down he went. A number of them tried grabbing other minnows but did not get any.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!