iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Like I need another addiction

Started by downsouth, July 05, 2013, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downsouth

I have a smitty lathe,mill,drill and have been fooling around with some wood turning on it. It works ok but it's made for metal not wood.
     So,I ran across a small wood lathe on CL the other day. Went to look at it, and of course bought it.
     It is a turncrafter tcl-pro 5 speed. It came with a nova 4 jaw chuck, 2 sets of chisels,and a bag of pen and pencil kits for $100.
      I have been fooling around with it and can't seem to walk away from it. I turned a few pieces and I'm working on a small maple bowl. I really enjoy it.
      I guess I will have to try to balance my time between the mill and the lathe. Not to mention a full time job and all the other things one has to do in everyday life.
      I have been looking for a sharpener for the chisels and planer blades and whatever else needs a edge on it. Grizzly has a 8" sharpener on sale for $89. They have the 10" on sale for $179. They both have the wet wheel and a leather wheel and guides along with acc. kits that come seperate for woodturning tools and the like.
     What do you guys think about the 8" sharpener? Is it a good one? Or can you recommend another brand?

Lud

8" is fine.   Be sure you get a slowspeed grinder.   Normal motor speeds are too high and generate heat too quickly.

Doug Thompson of Thompson Tools said the Wolvering jig was the best for his bowl gouges as you take off the tinyest amount of metal and get a uniformly sharp tool.  Saves time.  I'm glad I got it.  And dip the tool in a jug of water as you go to keep it cool.

Good Luck!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

downsouth

Thanks for the tip, the grizzly machine is 110 or 120 rpm.
    I checked out the wolverine setup. It looks good. I think I will order the grizzly grinder and the grizzly acc. Kit which comes with a few different jig setups.
   I was just wondering if anyone else uses it. It seems a good value at $89. Plus i think $60 for the jig kit. compared to $200 and up on a few of the other systems .
   What do I need for the pen making kits? I'm thinking I need some sort of mandrel or something for it. I guess I also need a faceplate for it ?

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Lud on July 05, 2013, 10:15:55 AM
8" is fine.   Be sure you get a slowspeed grinder.   Normal motor speeds are too high and generate heat too quickly.

I think the vast majority of turners would disagree with you. If you use HSS turning tools, then bluing the edge doesn't affect the temper. I use an 80 grit 6" wheel. Always have, no desire for a slow speed grinder. A high speed grinder is fine for HCS steel too, just use a light touch and quench frequently.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

downsouth

Really?
       I have one of those already. I have been using a regular stone to sharpen them with and it takes a while. The gouges are a little trickey but they cut good.

SwampDonkey

I use Norton soft bond white wheels, no bluing unless your forcing the tool. Used them for years.

Lee Valley item # 08M19.01  8"  80x.

I use honing compound and felt wheel to, not just on tools, but other custom made stuff I dabble at. Flat edged chisels I sharpen by hand with a Veritas jig and water stones.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

The white Norton stone is the way to go. Normal stones cut too slowly and glaze over easily, generating excessive heat. A diamond dressing tool to keep fresh surfaces exposed helps. I use one regularly, regardless of the type of stone I'm using.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

downsouth

Is that a high speed wheel or low speed?

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

downsouth

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. I think y'all saved me a few $duckies$

Lud

Slowspeed to me is 1750 rpm as opposed to many motors of 3500rpm.  I go with the white Norton as well.

No need to burn metal!............ 8) 8)

8)when they're smokin' when you pull them out of the dunk........they're close to burnin'! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Al_Smith

Two things that will help when dressing tools .Keep the wheel clear by using a wheel dresser .I use diamond myself .Use water ,dip the tool frequently .It not only keeps the metal temperature down but also helps not loading up the wheel .

Now just maybe you can blue the steel if turning wood .If however you sharpen metal lathe tools ,drill bits etc it's not a good practice .Myself I don't like to blue them at all .

Lud

Amen, Al, .............no blueing at all if possible! ;D

Dodgy Loner

Bluing doesn't affect the temper of HSS. But it's still very easy to sharpen on a high-speed grinder without bluing. So I guess I'm with you guys. Might as well stay in practice for when you're grinding HCS ;)

Thank You Sponsors!