iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill build*very novice*

Started by ry597, February 16, 2019, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Quote from: ry597 on February 21, 2019, 08:37:39 PM
i could cross over to maine which would be a 4 hour drive. i don't know if they have a habor freight in maine?
Crusarius with some research i found out the blades specs that i wouls use. (158" lenght, .042"(1mm) thick, 1.25"(32mm) wide) what size band saw wheels would i need for that ?
I like the 19" (18.75" with bet makes 19") wheels. the larger the wheel the less metal fatigue from tight bending. So blades typically last longer before they break.

BigZ La

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 21, 2019, 09:44:47 PM
Quote from: ry597 on February 21, 2019, 08:37:39 PMwhat size band saw wheels would i need for that ?

You can use any size wheels you want.  The larger the better (less flexing).  You just need to adjust the distance between the axles.  Not too hard.  Take the diameter of whatever wheels you can find, multiply by 3.14 (Pi).  That is the distance around one wheel.  Since the blade is only going around half of both wheels, use that total.  Subtract that from the 158" band and that is the distance between the axles.  You want some adjustment to have it loose enough to put it on and then tight enough to run.  Figure about 1" for hard (steel) wheels.  A little more if you are using car tires to compensate for the rubber deforming.
I think the distance between the axles would be half of the figure using that formula. Just asking?

Crusarius

with a 19" wheel and a 158 blade your looking roughly 49"to center of axles

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: BigZ La on February 24, 2019, 09:40:43 AMI think the distance between the axles would be half of the figure using that formula. Just asking?
Yes, that is what I meant.  I went back and corrected it!  Good catch.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

Welcome ry597, from all I have read over the years 18"to 19" band wheel would be a minimum band wheel diameter, also have been told by several small mill owners that 13hp would be a minimum for gas engine.

There is a machinery calculator in the tool box at the left under the sponsors list that will help with band speed in feet per minute and pulley size. Cooks saw has lots of info and videos about horsepower, blade speed and blade guide setup.

thecfarm

I have a centrifugal clutch on mine mill. I have a bum shoulder. No way could I push a handle to engage the motor. I have a Thomas mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deadeyeb

Crusarius how wide between the bedrails and what size blade do you run.

Crusarius

I run 158" blade I have 50.75" from outside to outside. 

I made the bed wide so I could stack the lumber I was cutting next to the cant. at least till I got to that level. 

I do not stack the lumber next to the cant :) it got in the way to much. 

In hindsight I probably would not make the bed that wide again unless I had a way to step inside it without climbing over it. Stretching to reach the slabs is not fun. I ended up getting a hookaroon so I could grab the boards.

ry597

thanks everyone with the replys! Ive had a real hard time finding parts. I will listen to everybody's suggestions and will go with 19 inch wheels. i believe i will have approximately 2 1/2- 3 feet off cut width? i underestimated the size of the project.... i will start to acquire more part before getting started on the bed build. I am planning on building a frame that extends against my shed so i could work on my mill in any type of weather. we get pretty much everything, right now we have record breaking snowfalls and its still snowing in march... im pretty good messing around with small engines so i will find a used one and rebuild it. a horizontal shaft with more than 10hp is really hard to find... I will draw a plan when i get the dimensions right. maybe start a new thread?

Crusarius

I bought the 22hp predator from HF. I have not been disappointed. I paid 700 for it but it will go on sale for 650 sometimes.

My thought behind this was I really wanted a 20hp honda. but at the tune of $2300 I could replace 3 predators for the cost of 1 honda so I chose to go that route. If you are good with engines I would buy the predator and if you have problems just rebuild it. you will probably be ahead on money.

bwstout

I too have the HF 22hp and have had no issues with it and the extra hp was worth is started with a 13hp Honda clone that lasted a year before it quit.
home built mill

ry597

Ive got access to the exact dimensions of an lt15 sawmill, now i really need to find a motor and i could go ahead with my build. here we have a princess auto that sells 420cc + engines for cheap. they are chinese made but i know myself around small engine so i could check to make sure thst everything is in specs before using it. or i could try and find a use 15hp or more motor and refresh it with new parts. the lt15 uses 18 inch bandwheel and it would be the perfect size paired with the blade size that i am using! this thread helped me alot and i will start a new one when i start my sawmill build. Thanks again everyone

Woodpecker52

I have the LT15 start which uses a 14 hp Kohler engine and have never had a problem with it being under powered, I cut large trees all the time, just keep the blade sharp and go a little slower, then again its for enjoyment and not for a living.  I have cut about 300 trees with it since  I got it last March.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!