iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flight of Snow geese..fare-thee-well...

Started by chain, February 20, 2014, 07:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

This whole week  seemingly endless lines of Snow geese were migrating north. They did their duty this winter in fertilizing fields, I looked up some statistics from poultry litter studies of which of course prove the natural source of plant nutrients and as a soil amendment:

Between  0.5 & 0.7 lbs.of litter is produced per 1 lb. of body weight

Average analysis

N......3.10%
P.......2.77%
K.......2.04%

Someone else can figure the weights and fertilizer benefits of a guesstimated 5000 bird flock of geese feeding and resting in a 80 acre rice field for 6 hours, visited four times during a sixty day period.  ???

Chuck White

Won't be long and we'll start hearing/seeing them fly over here.

For the most part, geese are lazy when headed South.  If the weather stays mild enough, they won't go much further South than "right here"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

chain

The snow geese bombed me good yesterday as I was driving down a rural road. This flock, possibly 10,000 or more, had just come up from a green wheat field and wheeled directly over my truck and 'plop,plop,plop' came the green excrements on my windshield and hood!

CJennings

I was a little shocked given that the pond and lakes are still pretty frozen, but I saw the first of the geese this morning in VT. Just a small flock but it's a start.

Alcranb

I had a pair of wood ducks in one of the cranberry bog ditches yesterday. Everything is still froze up good except for this section of ditch about 200 ft long which is spring fed and never freezes up. Didn't see them today so who knows?
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Thank You Sponsors!