iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

yukstuff

Started by Tam-i-am, June 20, 2004, 07:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Seeing as though I was born in the south but lived in new england my whole life I have been deprived the experience of good "yukstuff".

In Virginia I had tried "yukstuff" and found it almost palatable.  I managed to find a box in the store.  Now I need to know what to do with it.

Do you really eat it like cream of wheat or is there a better way?

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Rocky_J

Do you have another name for it? I've never heard of it. Is it as good as your brownies?  :)

Jeff

use the forum search. I know what shes talking about! ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shopteacher

Tamiam, just posted a new thread before reading this. See the new product under" Has Jeff been holding out on us" maybe he'll get you some free samples :D ;D :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

CHARLIE

I cannot imagine what you mean by "Yuckstuff".  Certainly you are not referring to the sacred perfect food called GR I T S (G R I T S should always be capitalized).

First, I hope that if you are talking of  G R I T S  that the box you refer to doesn't say instant.  Instant G R I T S  is over processed and in my opinion is a waste of time.  Quick  G R I T S  is about as fast as you want to cook. I prefer the old fashione G R I T S  that take DanG near an hour to cook, but I usually eat Quick G R I T S.

If you are talking about , G R I T S  don't you dare ruin them by putting milk and sugar on them. It would just break a Southerner's heart to see someone do that to G R I T S . How does a Southerner eat G R I T S?  All kinds of ways.
1. Just put butter on them and eat them with your eggs and bacon. Sometimes you put egg and G R I T S on your fork at the same time. Or eat some bacon and G R I T S at the same time.

2.  G R I T S  is good for breakfast with fried ham.  Especially if you put ham gravy or some Redeye gravy on the G R I T S .

3. G R I T S  with just butter on it is also great with pan fried fish and hushpuppies.

4. There is a dish called Cheese G R I T S that is fantastic.

5. There is Garlic G R I T S.

6. Last night I even had a Louisana dish of G R I T S  and shrimp with a cream sauce. It was pretty good.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Rocky_J

Y'know, I've grown up in the South (35 years now) and never did get the hang of g-rits. you can drown them with butter, salt and pepper and then they taste like butter, salt and pepper. They have the consistency of food that has already been chewed for a while and the taste of cardboard (not counting whatever you dump on them to cover up the cardboard taste). At least oatmeal has some flavor! I can't say I hate g-rits as they do not have enough flavor to hate. But I certainly will not order them or put them on my plate, and if'n they are put on my plate I'll just eat around them. I'd rather just eat the butter, salt and pepper without the g-rits.

Tam-i-am

I agree, when I had them they didn't have enough flavor to form an opinion.  I bought some hoping to make them somehow and decide once and for all if this "yukstuff" is any good or not.

That shrimp and Grits might be interesting.

So can anyone produce a recipe worth making?
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

CHARLIE

Geeeez Rocky_J, that just plain hurts to the core.  I think someone ruined your taste buds as a young boy.  In fact, I think potatoes for breakfast should be outlawed in the South. Used to couldn't ruin a breakfast with potatoes anywhere in the South..
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

All this talk about 'yukstuff' and all I ever could remember not likin' as a kid was hominy. White corn and I couldn't eat it. Sat there after many a meal with that white corn staring back at me on that plate.
Now, when I look up Grits for 'yukstuff', DanG if it isn't hominy!!!  I couldn't believe it.
Here is a site from Quaker Oats
http://www.quakergrits.com/QG_Products/oldfashioned.htm

No cholesterol, some calories, little fat, some carbs, but they don't list anything for taste.  ;D

I guess its just for a filler, to take up space and make you feel full.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

A little something I found that should help set the record straight for once and for all! :)

Grits, so simple to prepare, so easy to screw up.

If by chance you have the opportunity to take a southern journey, and feel the desire to try a little of the local fare, you are doing yourself a terrrible disservice if you order grits from some chain resturant !!!
Commecial preparation requirements are just not appropriate for good grits! The first problem is that grits are meant to have salt as a primary ingredient, without salt the corn just taste like mud.
Secondly, just like small batch bourbons, grits are not to be mass produced. More than a 4 quart pot will go "bad" before it can be served.
OK, that said, we come to the grits. If you are looking at instant grits go ahead and mix those with some water, stir well, and spackle any cracks your walls may have, because that is all they're really worth. Real grits are "Quick Grits" or stone ground grits, nothing instant, period.

Now for the hungry family of four get your pot on the stove and pour in 3 cups of cold water, add 3 spoonfuls of salt ( don't worry, the corn will absorb most of this) and 3 tablespoons of butter ( REAL butter, preferably sweet unsalted) bring this to a slow boil.
Measure out 1 heaping cup of grits, and slowly blend this into the boiling water, If you just chunk the grits in at once you will get just that, chunky grits.
Now stir once more, reduce the heat to simmer, put a lid on, and leave alone for 5 minutes. Don't peak, or your grits will be too thick.
That's it. Serve at once, with eggs, bacon or sausage.

Don't let your grits set too long tho, they will initially congeal and then form an unmoveable bond to your pot, all quite inedible, but handy for creative doorstops or small statuary.
Suggested additions;

NEVER PUT SUGAR IN GRITS !!!!!! They are not a cereal, think of them as a starch side dish such as cream potatoes or rice pilof.

Garlic is a nice flavor inhancement, particularly served with steamed shrimp and brown shrimp gravy.
Cheddar cheese blends well too, even a pepper jack.

Following these simple directions will provide you with a truer grit experience, like momma used to make....

Now, git in that kitchen and rattle some pots and pans.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Stan

Charlie, everybody down here knows how to eat Grits. You fill yore plate with aigs either sunny or over oncte, shovel some Grits on top. Crumble up yore crisp fried bacon on top of the Grits, now chop yore fork down through the bacon and Grits and mix them aigs in thoroughly and commence to eat!
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Tom

Grits are ground corn. If they are prepared properly and you possess a fine honed taste for the elegant, your brain will reel with the succulence of the toasty tasting treat.  While most Northerners, unaccustomed  to the richness of southern cooking, look upon Grits with disdain, a true Southerner will try to keep his tongue from slapping him to death when presented with a large helping on a platter with with fried eggs and country cured ham.

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/gritsrecipes/a/grits_recipes_2.htm

Take note that properly spoken of, "Grits are" not "Grits Is".  :)

CHARLIE

Stan! Oooooooeeee!  Yes sireeee bobcat!  That is how I like G R I T S  too.  2 eggs overlight, 2 strips of crisp bacon and G R I T S with butter. Then mix the eggs up into the G R I T S and break up the bacon into it.  Mmmmm! That's good eating.

CKTATE, G R I T S that have congealed are not worthless!  Haven't you ever had fried G R I T S?  If you haven't, you sure are missing something DanG good!

Tamiam I sent you some G R I T S recipes, but for you and other deprived souls, here is another website with G R I T S recipes.
http://www.g rits.com/g rits.htm (note: take the space out after the 'g')
Charlie

etat

Well dad gum Charlie, ain't never let none of em set around that long to try it!!!  ???

I will also state for a fact that I like the occasional mess of hash browns cooked up with onions and cheese and  a good sized dollop of ketchup  with my ham and eggs too!!!! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Bibbyman

DanG!   If it 'twarnt for Grits,  this whole Forum would fall apart! :o

BTW,  I suspect if someone did search,  I think you'd find I was the first one to use the word Grits (as a food) on this Fourm.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bruce_A

Have any of you tried garlic powder for flavor on your eggs?  I can't handle sauteed garlic, but can't hardly eat an egg anymore  without lots of pepper and garlic.  I don't use salt for flavor at all.

Hokiemill

Tamiam, I guess some people wouldn't consider me a southerner.  Grew up in Virginia (Richmond to be exact) and some southerners think Va is too far north.  Here's my take on the grits discussion.  You have to view grits more as a flavor "carrier" - sorta like the original tofu.  Not much flavor by itself but very good at taking on the flavor of whatever you mix with it.  I've always liked mine with lots of butter and salt.  I'll have to buck the true southerner protocol and say if you want sugar in your grits, put sugar in your grits.  Life is too short to live by some sort "food rules".  Eat what tastes good.  My wife is a chef who grew up in Alabama and sometimes those food experiments taste pretty great.  She and I do disagree on a couple traditional food products.  I can't stand boiled okra, tastes like a salty snot and my wife doesn't understand the appeal of scrapple (more of an mid-eastern thing, not necessarily a southern dish).

Eat, drink, and be merry.....you know the rest.

Mark M

I ain't never had no Grits before but my dad used to like them. I do like hominy. The one thing I don't like is Okra! I've only had it boiled or steamed but it was so slimy I couldn't eat it.

CHARLIE

When I become President of the United States, I'm gonna outlaw eating potatoes for breakfast.  Whoever started up eating potatoes for breakfast just didn't know any better.;D

I like fried okra, but ain't too keen on eating boiled okra.
Charlie

Bibbyman

CHARLIE,  You ain'ta goin'a get my vote!  I like fried 'taters for any meal.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bruce_A

Fried, baked, boiled, mashed,shoestring, hashbown, stuffed, and baby reds boiled with sweet cream butter.  Never a bad potatoe.

pasbuild

Put your Grits away and try this, good morning, noon or night hot or cold, ketchup or gravy.http://www.pasty.com/
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Tom

I'm not quite sure what I just looked at.  Lots of advertising. ???

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

beenthere

And the Cornish miners left there mark (and the pasty) in SW Wisconsin due to the lead mines, as well.
http://www.mineralpoint.com/cornish_festival.html

One of those beef pasty's will fill you up, for sure. Not sure if it would be even fair to compare them with a plate of Grits over eggs, bacon, etc.

Apparently its 'the' lunch all wrapped and ready to eat.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!