iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brdmkr tell me about that 6" mill of yours

Started by Part_Timer, December 21, 2007, 06:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

I'm curious as to how the 18hp works with the 6" cut.  Do you ever wish you had more hp?  Do you feel limited by the 6" instead of 8" cut?

anyone feel free to interject.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

ronwood

Part_Timer,

A friend of mine had a Lucas with a 6 in blade and 16 hp. that seemed to work o'k. Never cut with it myself.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

hansbaba

I used a 618 lucas for a while. I cut mainly D-fir and redwood with some tanoak and chinqapin. Overall it was a fantastic mill. I wish I had it sometimes. My Peterson is great but the 618 was so light and easy to move around. Sometimes I would have to slow down with the 6" cuts but it seemed to work just ine.
hans.

bugmeist

I've got a 618 and have never really found it needed more power.  I've cut many types of (eastern)soft and hardwoods, including some very dry red oak and hard maple.  I've had to slow down a bit now and then but mostly I find they are adequately powered.

I only wish I'd gotten the 8" Lucas when someone asks me for 8" siding boards or floor joists.  Next spring/summer I'm going to experiment with doublecutting so maybe I won't think as much that I need the 8".

Bob
100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

DanG

I guess Brdmkr is out of town for Christmas.  I've worked with him a little and have cut with his saw.  The 18hp seems completely adequate for the 6" blade.  I think it is safe to say that his thoughts about the 6" cut are very similar to those of Bugmeist.  Brdmkr has a very unique and interesting solution to the Lucas double cutting problems, though.  He recently started a thread on this board about the SECOND 618 that he has purchased, and we're gonna try to tie the tracks together and run both of them head to head on the same log.  That's gonna be FUN! :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Part_Timer

Thanks guys,  I was just wondering.  I'd been looking at a new mill in 6-20 and was wondering if 20 was enough.

I saw the thread on the double power head and think that it is a great project.  Someone sure is thinking out side the box on that one.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

bugmeist

I managed to miss the thread on brdmkr's unique solution to doublecutting.  Lead me in the right direction.

Merry Christmas! :) :)
100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

Captain

Tom, the last time I checked the price difference between 6 and 8" was not really worth the difference, get the 8" for the $500.

If you want to save $500, get it without the engine and I'll send you one to install. Better yet, if you're wanting WPF, take one of the frames that I have here before they are gone.  Only 2 left.

Captain

brdmkr

DanG got it right.  I have been out of town.  I have never really felt like 18HP was underpowered for the 6" blade.  I often wish that I had the 8" blade just to increase the capacity.  However, I also wonder if I would really cut that much 8" lumber.  I figure if I had the 8" I'd want to be able to cut even wider.  I often wish I had a band mill as well.  The difference in cost between the Lucas 6 and 8 inch mills is considerably more than 500.  If I could have purchase an 827 (now the 830) for just 500 more, I would have.

I have purchased a second 618 (used).  I think it will be the ticket for double cutting large beams.  It is my plan to put the 2 rail sets together to be able to cut 40' plus if needed.  I will also be able to double cut a little easier by having the saw heads face each other.  This is not an ideal situation, but for the few times that I need to cut larger dimensions, it should work fine.  It also works great for fireplace mantles 8)

I have not figured out just what I intend to do with the whole 'system'.  I may continue to use both for double cutting or cutting long beams when needed.  I have also thought about buying a slabbing attachment to have a semi-dedicated slabber.

WOW, I have been off the forum too long.  Got way off topic.  Hope this helps. 

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

brdmkr

Quote from: DanG on December 24, 2007, 12:21:45 AM
I guess Brdmkr is out of town for Christmas.  I've worked with him a little and have cut with his saw.  The 18hp seems completely adequate for the 6" blade.  I think it is safe to say that his thoughts about the 6" cut are very similar to those of Bugmeist.  Brdmkr has a very unique and interesting solution to the Lucas double cutting problems, though.  He recently started a thread on this board about the SECOND 618 that he has purchased, and we're gonna try to tie the tracks together and run both of them head to head on the same log.  That's gonna be FUN! :D :D :D

In keeping with the political season.....

I'm Brdmkr and I approved this message ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Captain

Just for clarification...the 6" and 8" mill price difference I was referring to was with the SAME powerplant.  Certainly gets more expensive to upgrade the engine as well  :)

Captain

ErikC

Just to add my 2¢.....Peterson style!

I think my experience applies equally to Lucas owners though. I bought the 6" with 13 hp Honda. It cut just fine. When I upgraded to cut 8" I was worried about power, but wanted to see before buying a new motor. I think it cuts better!! I would strongly encourage the 8" over 6", the versatility is quite a bit higher, and so is production. With a helper and my tractor cutting 1500 bf is a 4 or 5 hour job at a steady pace. That is consistent, when cutting a lot of 1". And we cut 2000 all the time when some 2" is on the list. Just keep it sharp and tuned up! Don't get me wrong though, more hp is sounds good.  But I would go 8" before I went more hp.
I think the lucas is pretty easy to upgrade also isn't it? 

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

brdmkr

Quote from: ErikC on January 01, 2008, 01:50:03 PM
Just to add my 2¢.....Peterson style!

I think the lucas is pretty easy to upgrade also isn't it? 

Erik

This is one of those areas were I think the Peterson really shines.  I do not think the Lucas can be upgraded.  Pretty much everything is different between the 8" and 6" mills. 

Thank You Sponsors!