iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone still have one of these Huskys

Started by joe_indi, September 15, 2009, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

I had recently picked up this Husky at a sale.
Does anybody still use them?

Joe

beenthere

Joe
Don't have that particular model, but "yes" to the "still use them" question.

Make up the "custard", have some ice and salt handy. Then crank away.  Yummmm!!

Are you going to give it a try?  That Husky looks to be in good shape.  :)

Hope the innards are good too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

Quote from: beenthere on September 15, 2009, 10:14:01 AM
That Husky looks to be in good shape. 

Hope the innards are good too.

According to the person who sold it to me, his grandma thought it was a milk churner.After the first disastrous attempt to churn some curds, it was stored away till I bought it.
The innards are like new and the it turns easily at the lightest touch.
But the wood had dried up quite a bit and is a bit loose.
I suppose the wood will expand once it comes into contact with some water.
And, yes I intend to put it to use very soon.Its nearly 45 years since I've tasted home made ice cream.
Any body has any recipes that I could use?
I am looking for both the Italian type and the American type of ice cream recipes.
The latter does not use eggs (if I remember correct)

I am negotiating for another Husky, its a coffee grinder, probably of the same era as this Husky.

Joe

sablatnic

Haven't seen that one before, but I found the meat grinder last year. ^_^

567paloggger

how much did you pay for it and are you going to sell it

joe_indi

Quote from: 567paloggger on September 15, 2009, 10:26:45 PM
how much did you pay for it and are you going to sell it

I paid nearly the equivalent of about $5/- for  it.

Sell it? I don't think so.
When I am lucky enough to pick up such things in working condition, It would be a crime to sell them.

Its a great feeling to use them.I have a carbide lamp, some kerosene stoves (Valor) and lamps,(Alladdin and Ditmar).
I still use them once in a way.
So this Husky will be with me.

Joe

GASoline71

I have a Husqvarna rifle, chambered in .270 Winchester.  Circa mid 60's.  Great rifle. 

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

chevytaHOE5674

Thus the reason I use stihls, they don't make churns, rifles, sewing machines, etc.  8)

HaHaHa

Al_Smith

Husqvarna is one of the oldest companies in the world . I'm not sure which is older,Husky or Krupp of Germany .

It doesn't surprise me in the least they made ice cream freezers .All you need is some chipped ice,rock salt .whole milk,sugar . vanilla extract .Plus a several eager young  children to turn the crank .

The actual recipes used to be on cans of condensed milk but I suppose not so any more .I'll bet you could find some on the net though . If you get real good at it you can fold in sliced fruit such as fresh peaches,strawberries etc . You have to know when to add the fruit though or else the mix might seperate or the fruit get  ground to a pulp .It has to be nearly frozen before to try the fruit thing.Nothing like it though if it's done right .

Bowtie

Thats a cool machine right there! My grandparents and my dad make homemade ice cream at family get togethers, and its top notch. I dont their machine is a Husqvarna though.
Gearhead....

Hi-Country Orange

joe you might ask in the food category on how to make ice cream

Tom

Or look in the Knowledge Base under the Food topic.

Old fashioned chocolate icecream

Coffee Icecream

Slvia`s Icecream

sharkey

Hi Joe,
Custard is cooked first before its churned.  Ice cream on the other hand is not.  Start with two pints of whole cream, add in a cup of granulated sugar and add in another cup of fruit.  Crushed peaches or strawberries work well.

Put the cream and fruit mix into the center cup, and place this cup into the ice bed.  Start churning.  Use salt to make the ice melt faster and use a good bit.  After about a half an hour the cream thickens and you have home made ice cream!

Hope you enjoy it.

Bob 

joe_indi

Al, Bob,

Thank you for the recipes.
I will definitely try them out as soon as I can persuade my wife that I will not mess up the kitchen too much with the salt and melted ice.
Moreover, the wooden pail though intact, seems to have shrunk with the passing years.There are gaps between them.
I poured in some water and the pail leaked like a sieve.
I think that wood needs to swell.
Closing the gaps with beeswax and keeping  the pail filled with water is what I intend to do.
Unless somebody can give me a better alternative.

Joe

Al_Smith

Put a rock in the tub and sink it in a vat of water for a week or so until it swells back up . Same thing as keeping water in a rain barrel .

It may sound odd but my dad had an old Wolverine boat that must have been made in the 40's .Every spring we sank that thing in the creek until it quit leaking  .

okmulch

I think they husqvarna made sewing machines also. :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

joe_indi

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 02, 2009, 05:16:29 AM
Put a rock in the tub and sink it in a vat of water for a week or so until it swells back up . Same thing as keeping water in a rain barrel .
Now that's a very good idea Al. Dont know why I never thought of it first.
Quote from: okmulch on October 02, 2009, 09:17:52 AM
I think they husqvarna made sewing machines also. :D
Muskets, cannons, sewing machines, kitchen machines like this ice cream maker, coffee grinders............

Dave Shepard

We have a big bowl that we use for popcorn that is made by Husky.

I believe the oldest companies are in Japan, dating back much farther than the European ones. Most of the oldest companies are in Germany. I found a website listing oldest companies, might be able to find it again.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SawTroll

Information collector.

Al_Smith

I knew they had been around for some time .Maybe it was called something else back in days of olde when knights were bold .

Thank You Sponsors!