iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain oiler trouble

Started by wood_bucker, February 23, 2004, 07:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wood_bucker

Hi all,
I found this site trying to find out why my stihl 038 super pro wont oil the chain now and some one mentioned this site and said you all can help fix everthing possible.I have cleaned all the oil ports and replaced the bar and oil pickup filter to no avail.I didnt want to start ripping the saw down untill i can get some easy ideas as to a fix...any ideas?
thanks in advance.. 8)

Kevin

First you want to make sure the oil hole in the bar lines up with the oil groove in the saw.
Try adjusting the oil adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw.
The gear that drives the oil pump is behind the clutch drum.
There is also a screen that filters dirt before the pump and that may be plugged and required flushing.
Empty the bar oil and flush the tank a couple of times and watch for dirt.

rebocardo

On my Husky 365, what they do not tell you in the owners manual is the oil pump drive arms have to be lined up with the two notches in the clutch/drive assembly. I imagine your saw works the same way, something to checkout.

Kevin

The tank vent is something else to look at.

OneWithWood

My usually trusty 038 developed oiling problems all of a sudden a few months back.  Mine does not have an adjustable feed rate screw.   I took it to the dealer and they replaced the nylon pump drive gear.  All was good for about two weeks when it ceased to oil again.  Back to the dealer.  They again replaced the drive gear and told me it was melted.  I asked why this would be occuring when for years I had no problem with the saw.  It was suggested that letting the saw idle with the chain brake on was causing the gear to get hot and melt.  I thought that was a load of BS but you know the problems started after I got in the habbit of putting on the break whenever I moved around or set the saw down.  I went back to just shutting it down when not sawing and I have not had another problem.  My new within the last year MS460 does not have oiling problems and I engage the brake on it often.  Must have been a design change.  the 038 is a 1985 model.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!