iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone running 298 xp and 272 xp huskys!

Started by Hawkin50, February 18, 2004, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkin50

8)Hello all this is my first post.Just wondering if anyones got or uses these two saws and how do you like them.I aquired these two saws as a couple friends were going to throw them to the junk pile.As I have sold and service all brands at one time or another I thoght I would check them out, they both had good compretion but took the mufflers off them to have a look see .Both saws looked good so took tops off carbs and passed some air across them to get the gas comeing up from the gas tank put them back together  and refueled them.Also guted the mufflers,dressed the bars and sharpened the chains and cut down the drag teeth.Greesed the 24" sprocket noses and fired them up .Stuck the tach on them and ajusted carbs.Both run like a top.Guess I havent last my touch after all these years.Wife ordered us a load of Ontario hard maple.Good load 6 cord load and all sound ones.No hollow ones.Averge diamiter of the logs are about 20".Anyway fired up the huskys to see how they would work.Yup they saw wood.The 298 really saws , lots of speed and power.Only thing is she sure likes the gas.Anyways I guess with that kind of performance shes worth the extra gas she uses.THERES A FAIR BIT OF ENGINE THERE,BUT WHEN YOU DROP HER ON A LOG YOU ANT STANDING THERE WAITING ON IT.gOES THROUGH THAT HARD FROZIN MAPLE LIKE LIKE DUCK SOUP.LOL.tHE 272 IS A GOOD ALL ROUND SAW .WEIGHT TO POWER good, not to heavy AND NOT TO BAD ON GAS.I think there keepers.Anyways your thoughts please.

Ron Scott

The Husky 372 XP and 385 XP are popular saws with the loggers here. Some 395 XP's used also, but a little on the large side for most users. Good saws.
~Ron

oldsaw-addict

From what I know, the 272 and 298 are both EXCELLENT saws, but I think you may want to think about getting a carb kit in your 298XP if it drinks gas like you do water, although, if you want to find a new home for the 272XP I have a space thats going to be filled by 2 homelites soon, or I could accept your 272 if you want me to. Either way, its cool to know that another person is running some of the finest saws available, but I still would rather see the Stihl 090 and 090 G be brought back.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Hawkin50

;DHello Old saw.Thanks for the replyThink Ill keep the 272xp.and the 298xp.Carbs are both ok as they start up and idle real good and slow and dont load up.When you open them up they jump right in to it and saw real good.The 298 isin real hard on gas when you consider that its got almost 30cc bigger engine than the 272 .I did have a 266xp back a few years ago,and it was sopose to have been a junker.Ya right.*DanG good saw also.Cut a lot of cord wood with that saw also.Got it for nothing ,was all a part in a box,put it to gether and run it for almost 2 years,then sold it to a fellow and that was like 4 years ago and he still has it and uses it almost every day.Think I got 300.00 candian for it.Anyways, so your a Homelite man are you.Me to.I have for Homelites,a super xl auto,super xl 922,xl super mini,and 2 xl 130 s or 76 s there the same saw engine wise.Cut like crazy,and run very well.Also own a 590 Johnny saw .Now thats the cream of the crop.And know thre not the same as a husky.They have different pistins in them.Skeltonized pistins and the husky just have regular ones.She really winds up and saws for only haveing 50cc engine.Anyways I only saw around 6 to 10 cord every year now and that is some fun to get the saws out and give them a rip.Ok guess Ive talked long enough talk to you again soon.Have a good one.

Larry

I bought a 272 XP in 95.  Brought it home and the same day I got a load of logs.  Showed off my new saw to the logger and he commented "nice size saw for a girl."  ???

It's been the best saw I have ever had my hands on.  Got a 066 but it never gets out of the shed unless I have a really big tree where cubic inches are needed.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Hawkin50

Hello Larry.Nice lookin log.Looks like the size and condition of the ones I got the last load.Looks like a 24 or 28 " bar on that 272 .Am I right.Most of the loggers around my area use a 71cc saw as there big saw and about a 50to 55 cc saw for the limbing..I had a 266 xp a few years back and it was a good around saw.Afellow gave her to me in a box.He had it at a dealers and they tore it down and said she was done .He brought it in to me to use for parts.Anyway I thank him and a few days later I got around to looking at it.As it was already tore down I gave it a real good looking over,and said to my dad,wonder whats suppose to be wrong with this saw cant see any thing wrong with it.He said well throw it together and see if shell run ,and I did.Took about 20 minuites and she started right up.And hasnt quite since.That saw cut a lot of wood for couple years then sold it to another fellow and he still has it,usees it almost every day.Thats the way it is in our area, know one wants to fix any thing , they just sell them a new saw.Labour rate here is 60.00 a hour plus parts.And you know what they ant worth it.You know why . Ill tell ya,they could not fix an ox cart.Know kidding,all talk and no action.To bad but that seems to be the way of the world any more.Big money for nothing.Sure glad I can repair my own stuff man it sure has saved me a pile of money over the last 40 years.Ok well thanks for the reply,your a good bunch of guys.Glad to be talking to uses.Talk later.

oldsaw-addict

You sound like you could use a GOOD mechanic in your area, I'll take the job if theres any openings, and I'll actually do it better than most techs would too. I think its easier t ofix it yourself and save the piles of $$$ then when everyone else is broke because they had to keep buying new saws, we can sit there in our houses and laugh like maniacs, meanwhile they are all trying to get money to buy another saw with :D :D :D

Corley5

Most loggers around here buy new because they can't afford to be down waiting for a saw to be rebuilt.  It's cheaper in the long run to buy a new saw and be in the woods cutting again than wait for the saw and the repair bill.  By the time an engine needs to be rebuilt the saw's served it's time and is ready to be replaced anyway.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Hawkin50

Hello corley and old saw.I dont know about everyone out there fixing saws and small engines in general,but from my experence when I and my dad were in sales and repair buss,most times the repairs were none faster then the customer could come up with the money.And I m talking small dollars for parts and repairs copard to today.In most cases the repairs were fuel filter and lines,carb blow outs  and some times rebuilds,spark plugs crank seals bar dressing and chain sold and sharpend, and sprockets..Of course when we sold saws there were only 3 or 4 models out of every thing the company had that we sold.In many cases a logger or fire wood cutter ony needs 2 saws.AN ALL ROUND SAW AND A BIG SAW.And before I could sell someone a saw we had to be sold on it our selfs.So we only had to stock parts for those few models.And we got to know whats models had what problems.The big problem now days is everyone wants to make like 100% mark up on parts and labour.Were we worked on 33and a 1/3 or 40 %.As far as rebuilds go in a lot of cases only the piston and rings need replaceing.Lots of times we took a brake cylinder hone and a bit of mixed gas and deglazed the cylinders. As the aluinum piston stick to the hard chrome cylinder,it come right off with no damage to cylinder and big saveings to the customer.Now the odd case of course aplise here like a e clip or conrod bearing or something leting go and going through and scoreing the cylinder,then of course the cylinder has to be replace.But form my experence these burn downs are from a bad mix or some one playing with the screw driver and leaning the saw out or dirty carb or crank seals or base gasket leaking causeing th saw to run lead.And of course trying to saw with dull chain and not keeping the saw blew out and it running hot.And of course they need to educate the users of the product.I dont now how many times even to day I had a fellow ask me how much oil do I put in to the can with how many gallons or litres of gas.Like how long have they been makeing saws.Al most 50 years and some people still have know idea about gas and oil mixes and ratios.BRAIN DEAD.lol.I like that 32 to 1 mix with good 2 stoke or 2 cycle air cooled engine oil. Not outboard oil as it has to fast of a flash point.EG. Burn off to fast .I started off fixing saws in 1959.Malls M acs  iels remingtons pioeers homelites you name it.Anyways men as my daddy used to say thats what seperates the men from the boys.And you cant be smart and good lookin to.I think I missed out on both.lol.Have a good day and keep your saws sharp and tuned.Hawkin.

Corley5

Little stuff like mounts, carb rebuilds etc.  Guys usually do themselves or the saw shop will and it only takes a day.  It's when major things happen that the saws are traded for new ones.  By this time they are usually pretty well ragged out anyway.  The Husky dealer in Indian River charges $60.00 an hour.  That's pretty d@mn high I think but is the going rate and people pay it.  My Husky leaf blower malfunctioned last fall and as I was busy I took it there to get it fixed.  It cost me $60.00 for labor and $.25 for a new piece of gas line and after they fixed it they told that was a common problem with that model.  If I'd have taken a bit of time to investigate I could have saved myself $60.00 and it wouldn't have taken me an hour to fix it ::)  Next time I'll do it myself.

Larry

Hawkin,
My 272 is wearing a 24" bar in the picture.  I have a 20 and 32" bar for it but the 24 is the best match for the HP.  We run a lot of long bars here because the ground is so steep.  Sometimes there is only one place to stand and you need a bar that can reach through the tree.

Greg,
I must live in the right place.  On another Husky I had a limb fall out of the tree as it was going down and broke the handle, choke assembly, and trigger.  Took it back to the dealer and he said he could haywire it back together if I was in a hurry because he didn't have the parts in stock.  Told him no just get the parts and fix it right.  Went back in a couple of days to pick it up and the only charge was the price of the parts.  He told me it was only a 10 minute job. 8) 8) 8)

I give him all my business for small engine stuff.  Prices are very competitive.  My mill is stationary and the guy spent 1/4 hour with me on the phone trouble shooting the Briggs at no charge.   Think he knows how to keep a customer.

Can't say enough good words for Lawless Lawnmower in Atchison Kansas.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

oldsaw-addict

Yeah that is good customer service, the type that either only charges for parts and doesnt charge at all for the troubleshooting help either. I like my customer service and tech help, it dont cost more than parts, I call it the wonderful KEVIN here at forestry forum for tech help, and the web for parts, I do ALL my repairs myself.Then when I get done I will usually charge myself $12 just for fun ;D  But seriously, I have neighbors that I used to be the repairman for, atleast on the saws anyway. Im good at fixing things and dont cost much. :D

Corley5

Larry,
  The service I always got at the Jonsered dealer here was like that.  I could take the 2094 in for something such as a carb rebuild and I wouldn't get charged for the new fuel filter, and spark plug that they put in it.  I was in there another time with some saw troubles and he gave me a loaner saw for the weekend while he fixed mine.  This was after he told the guys in front of me they'd have to buy a saw to take it out of the store ;D  He also has a shed full of parts saws and more than once I got stuff from there for a fraction of the cost of new.  When I needed a new big saw they didn't have a 2095 and couldn't get to my old 2094 to fix it until Monday and this was a Saturday.  I bought the 395 Husky.  They are also gearing more towards hobby farmers etc with their Kubota tractor line.  They sell more little saws and string trimmers than big pro saws these days but they did have a new 2185 Jonsered on the shelf when I was in there for a fuel filter and a raker file the other day.  That's where I still go for accessories.  That's also the same place we bought our Fransgard winch.  They're good to me and know one day soon I'll be in for a new tractor ;)

Hawkin50

Well had the big saw out again to day sawed up 6 logs just for the fun of it.Ya men I got that 298 dialed in now and will it ever haul saw dust.The more I use it the better I like it .Now thats a good saw.Have a good one .Hawlin.

Thank You Sponsors!