iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Huskys, now what??

Started by Coastal Gun, March 26, 2015, 09:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coastal Gun

Hey guys, I am new to the forum even though I have been following it for over a year.  Over the past 8 months I have been planning on moving to the Palmer area of Alaska to retire, I am 47.  I will be building cabins for myself and other family members.  I bought a Woodmizer LT40hd.  It will be delivered to Anchorage this May.  Today I bought a Husky 562 and 395 because I am sure my 455 rancher won't hold up to the task.  This is not a stihl vs husky post.  My question:  is there anything I should do other than regular maintenance to keep these saws at top performance?  Oh, the wood I will be cutting is spruce for the cabins.  I will also be using a Great Northern Dovetail Cutter with the saws.  Firewood will be what ever trees are available.  Thanks in advance.   

thecfarm

Coastal Gun,welcome to the forum. Congats on the toys to cut wood with!! I keep my stuff clean with an air compressure and only use high test gas. I also mix my gas 40:1 too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnG28

Welcome! It may be a good idea to find a Husky dealer up that way since the 562 is an AutoTune and would need computer to hook up to if you were to have issues. Agree on the 40:1 also, high test non ethanol.  Clean them up every so often, keep the chain sharp. Enjoy your saws.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Maine logger88

As far as the 562 goes pretty much just keep the air filter clean (something I seem to forget to do cause the autotune adjusts for and still runs fine) run good gas and oil and it shouldn't give any trouble! The 390 if it's like the 385/2186 gotta check the screws my 2186 likes to rattle apart every so often good tough saw tho! Other than that I just try to maintain them the best I can and run them till they are worn out
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Andyshine77

Welcome!!!

Good news is there is no ethanol in any fuel in Alaska, so you don't have to worry about that. Yes 40:1 or 32:1 mix is always a good idea. The 562 will tune it's self, the 395 on the other hand will need to be tuned properly for that cold winter weather. Store the saws on a shelf or bench, never on the ground near moisture. A properly sharpened chain is one of the more important aspects of saw use and maintenance, far more important than most think.

You have yourself some nice saws there, that 455 will make a nice backup saw, so I'd keep that in good running condition as well. You can never have too many saws IMHO. :)     
Andre.

sandsawmill14

I agree with the others about the oil. I put 3-2.5 gal bottles of mixing oil in 5 gal gas been doing it for years now. it really helps when your running a saw hard like spitting logs.
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

beenthere

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 26, 2015, 11:38:12 PM
I agree with the others about the oil. I put 3-2.5 gal bottles of mixing oil in 5 gal gas been doing it for years now. it really helps when your running a saw hard like spitting logs.

Sounds like a lot.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Maine logger88

Quote from: beenthere on March 27, 2015, 12:09:50 AM
Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 26, 2015, 11:38:12 PM

Sounds like a lot.
That would make around 16 to 1 if I did my math right? That seems excessive

sandsawmill14

the oil is 50:1 ratio so it should be around 32-34:1     3x6.4 oz bottles=19.2 oz in 5 gal of gas   20 oz in 5 gal of gas would be 32:1 smiley_thumbsup

so il logger

Umm, That may be a bit too much oil. I break mine in at 40 to 1 and run them how I would any other day. After a couple tank's it's 50 to 1. Has worked for me knock on wood

sandsawmill14

coastal gun  watch the recoil bolts and muffler bolt on the 395 other than that it a good solid saw thats the only problems my brother has had with theirs. If parts are not handy where your moving to I would go ahead and get spare bolts to have. I dont know anything about the 562.

so il logger

Just buy some blue threadlocker... have it on hand and pay attention to which bolt's are loosening, they really are good saw's, X2 on the muffler bolt's make sure to buy a couple of the cylinder to muffler stud's and locking nut's just to have on hand. They are just square headed bolt's I think 8MM thread

sandsawmill14

Quote from: so il logger on March 27, 2015, 01:08:50 AM
Umm, That may be a bit too much oil. I break mine in at 40 to 1 and run them how I would any other day. After a couple tank's it's 50 to 1. Has worked for me knock on wood

I mix my oil this way because of the abuse my saws take I generally burn 2 tanks of gas in 15-20 mins ripping logs the saw gets extremely hot. I also tune a little rich because the saws run a little cooler. I saw 2  395s burned up on the same log yard im working at now 1 was in the 3rd tank of gas the other made it about 30 days both were the operators fault not the saw. needless to say he does run saws any more. you cant work a saw that hard in the woods. I burn more gas in 2 hrs than I used to burn a day  when i was logging. Not saying this is for everyone but I know it works.   when i started using a saws some of the old ones were 16:1   we use 1 1/2 qt of sae 30 motor oil to 5 gal of gas ran same oil for bar oil  :o things have changed alot in the last 30 yrs though

Coastal Gun

Thanks Guys, A lot of useful info.  I appreciate the help.
Clyde-Coastal Gun.

HolmenTree

Keep an eye on the 2 long bolts that mount the carb on the 395 as mine came loose when milling lumber.
Member Joe indie here a while back posted all the parts# for the Stihl locking head torx screw bolts he replaces  his customers Husqvarna's  screw bolts with.
Funny Husqvarna  never caught on and used those bolts.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

cbla

I will second what thecfarm said
Quote from: thecfarm on March 26, 2015, 09:40:22 PM
Coastal Gun,welcome to the forum. Congats on the toys to cut wood with!! I keep my stuff clean with an air compressure and only use high test gas. I also mix my gas 40:1 too.

I see soooo many saws that look like they are 10 years only to have the proud operator say that it is a new saw.

Maine logger88

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 27, 2015, 12:49:32 AM
the oil is 50:1 ratio so it should be around 32-34:1     3x6.4 oz bottles=19.2 oz in 5 gal of gas   20 oz in 5 gal of gas would be 32:1 smiley_thumbsup
You would be correct my brain doesn't work so well that late at night lol

Coastal Gun

CBLA, are you asking for the pictures of my new saws before I cut anything?  They are brand spanking new, at least until Sunday after church. ;D

cbla

Maine logger88

Gearbox

I wonder if you will find anything big enough that the 455 won't handle . From what I saw when I was in Anchor Point a 24 in butt was a big tree . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Coastal Gun

Ok, some one get me a cell number that can upload pics.  I can snap one with my cell phone.  As for the 455 not being big enough was not my concern, but not lasting as long that is why I bought a medium and large pro series saw. 

Coastal Gun

I don't have a clue how to post pictures but I did manage to put them in my gallery.  You can click on my profile and see them there.  The little fella holding the saw is my grandson.  He says he's gonna be a mountain man like his pops.

JohnG28

Is the 395 an XPG? Looks like it in the photo. Not sure if you are aware but that would have heated handles as well.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Coastal Gun

Yes, it does have the heated handle. 

Thank You Sponsors!