iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new echo 352 poor fuel economy

Started by momark, December 24, 2017, 02:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momark

Hello all, I just purchased a new echo 352. I've run three for sure(maybe four) tanks of gas through it so far. It went through a  tank of gas faster than any saw I've ever used. Oil tank was never more than half empty when gas was gone.  Also seems to be underpowered to me. From what I read these saws usually run lean from the factory but this sounds like a rich condition. Should I take it back to the dealer now, or should I give it a little more time?  Definitely not happy with it as is.
Thanks, Mark

sawguy21

Take it back to the dealer and give him a chance to properly tune it. Echo is a fine saw but comes out of the box lean.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

momark

Isn't poor fuel economy caused by running rich, though?

kenskip1

Lean? Well then we have a definite difference of opinion. My New in Box CS 550 P came out of the box way to rich on the high side.I'm talking it couldn't rev past 5K. I had to remove the limiter caps to lean it out and no the choke was not on.Now it runs great. 4 strokes a bit however it runs good.I suspect this mans saw is possibly running to rich also. This is why he is reporting of poor fuel economy.
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

momark

Makes sense to me.  Guess back to the dealer it goes. Will give him a chance to get it set correctly.

momark

So if I ever want to adjust the carb myself do I have to take the limiter caps off? Or is there some way of getting the tool for adjusting with caps on?

sawguy21

There is a hefty fine for selling the tool to the end user. Having said that they are available on e-bay.

Majorpayne

There's a catalytic in the muffler that needs cut out. I use a hole saw. You will need to remove the limiter caps and retune. They are a fine saw as I have owned several.

momark

Thanks for the info. Hopefully there's a video out there somewhere showing how to do these things.  Kinda hate to void the warranty right off the bat, though.

sawguy21

Thhe saw should perform reasonably well with carb tuning. Opening the muffler should really wake it up but you might want to leave that for a year so the warranty is not voided. If no problems to that point you should have nothing to worry about.

Thank You Sponsors!