iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Consulting Forester or Forestry Consultant

Started by Jeff, October 03, 2002, 03:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Consulting Forester or Forestry Consultant?

I would like to see the foresters definition of these titles. In the past I have seen the handle forestry consultant used, but it seems that it is used pretty loosely. This could probably revert to a discussion that has taken place before but thats fine and dandy.

Who can call themselves a forester? Inquiring minds other then mine want to know. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

How about a Consulting Forester that works for a Forestry Consulting firm.  The owner might be a Forestry Consultant... or maybe not... now I'm confused.  ::) ;D
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Kevin

Ron Wenrich

There are certain stipulations on who can or can't be licensed as a forester, in certain states.  Those people who can bill themselves as a forester have a BS degree or better in forest science, forest management or forest technology, from an accredited university.  Those accredited are done so by the Society of American Foresters.  If you haven't earned the degree, you don't deserve the moniker.

Those who have an Associates degree are generally called forestry technicians.  However, there aren't too many consulting forest technicians.

Therefore, to get the consultant tag, anyone can call themselves a forestry consultant.  No experience or credentials are necessary.  Just hang out the shingle, and you're in business.

That doesn't mean that some consulting foresters will do a better job than some forestry consultants.  Some are more interested in the harvest than in the growing of trees.

Our state will give a list of consulting and procurement foresters to landowners.  All have a BS degree.  There are no forestry consultants on the list, although we have a quite few in the state.

It's still a buyer beware market.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RMay

Ron is consulting forest tech. registered with SAF in Arkansas you have to have a B.S. in forestry with three years in forestry work & have two registered forsters recomened them before they can take the test.I would like to here more on forest tech. registration in AR. you have to work under a registered forester .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Ron Wenrich

Registration is left up to the individual states.  Our state has no official registration.  Anyone who wants to call themselves a forester can do so.  I just wouldn't want to go to court without the credentials.  A good lawyer would shred your credibility.

We have a neighboring state that requires registration.  You need the experience, and someone to sign off on you.  But, they never check up on how good of work you do.  I've seen guys with a ton of experience, but it all sucked.  Just because you have a driver's license doesn't mean you can drive well.  

Landowners are not required to use registered foresters in many states.  That takes a bite out of the laws.  And there isn't too much follow up on their work.  

I'm not familiar with Ark. laws.  But, most places just need a registered forester to sign the forms and plans.  That doesn't mean they have done the actual field work.  Sometimes there  is someone underneath doing the mud work.

What you have described (having a BS and 2 years experience) would probably be more of a forester than a forest technician.  There are several schools that offer a 2 year course in forest technology.  This will give you enough knowledge to be a good tech that can do field work.  The extra 2 years gives you more knowledge on planning and applying the data.

Unfortunately, technicians can't move up to the title of forester without the BS degree.  Experience usually doesn't cut it unless you can test out at a university.  I've seen techs with lots of experience that can do a better job than foresters wiith limited experience.  Something like nurses can never become doctors, no matter how good they are.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

In addition to a BS degree in Forestry from an accredited  school of forestry and at least the minimum of 2-5 years experience depending upon the specific certification, registration, or licensing requirement there is also a "Code of Ethics" that should be followed and recognition of your peers.

The Code of Ethics for foresters established by the Society of American Foresters and the Association of Consulting Foresters of America, Inc. should be followed by any "professional" consulting forester.

If not, one will soon be found out and not recommended by their peers or members of society that they are trying to serve.

~Ron

Texas Ranger

"Forestry Consultant" is generally used by a non-forester, usually a logger, or worse, a timber pimp, that uses the term to confuse, or blur, the line between a professional forester and any one else out there that wants to hustle timber.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!