iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building with green timbers and bugs

Started by TexasTimbers, July 15, 2005, 08:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I searched the archives but couldn't find what I'm looking for.
Some say build green and some say don't. Kilns didn't exist in colonial America or England etc. (oldgrowth vs. what we have today - I know) so I want to use green timbers on my upcoming 12 x 16 frame. I'm going to be using loblolly pine from east Texas. But my question, which reveals just how green I am, is, how do I address the bug issue? I know they are bound to be in there. I can't imagine they'll just pack their bags and leave.
Am I suppose to spray them with something?
KJ.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Texas Ranger

Air dried properly, you should have no bugs.  If you get timbers that are milled locally, there could be some residual bug damage if they cut dead trees to make the timber.  If you use proper construction techniques, treat the ground under the slab, maybe putting copper between wood and slab, you should have no problem.  Powder post may get in there in say, 50 years or so, but not an immediate problem. 

Air drying those suckers is essentials, it lightens em up, and you get rid of some of the shrinkage that is gonna occur.  If you get real lucky, you'll get short leaf timbers, they are some what more dimensionally stable than the plantation loblolly.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!