iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diapers on equipment

Started by nativewolf, August 25, 2020, 07:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

So we have been cleaning and tracking the cause of a few leaks and other issues that were only half resolved in the winter, these issues are a problem in our neck of the woods a good cleaning, opening all the service doors/panels, even a bit of touchup paint has been in order.  Done as much mechanic work as I'm doing and have a service truck coming to do a couple of repairs but in the meantime have to get back to work.  One issue is trying to catch about  1 quart of oil from 2 different spots that just seep all day.  It has been suggested to put some diapers in floor of service panels close to the weep holes and change every night before leaving.  Has anyone done anything like this?
Liking Walnut

Old Greenhorn

Look into 'pig mats'. We used them in the shop all the time for all kinds of leak and small spills, they come in perf rolls and tear off like paper towels and really soak up the oil. One of the things I miss about working was being able to bring some home from time to time to put under my Mule in the shop. Good stuff and will probably fit your need perfectly.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nativewolf

gotcha, I'm looking at pigmats now, what a strange term.  
Liking Walnut

Old Greenhorn

They specialize in spill cleanup kits. They first started making theses snake like things for putting around a floor spill as containment, but then they got into these mats. We would buy cases of the stuff regularly and had rolls all around the facility. They also make nice pads to sit on during lunch outside on a rainy or very cold day. Good stuff, hope this is helpful to you. Oh, and the promo stuff they send to customers is usually fun stuff.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

Actually  the pigmats  are disposable fibrous pads that act as absorbant bedding for new born baby pigs. Yes you could cut them to fit and a layer or two would catch the leaks holding the oil for the short term. I use them every once in a while around here.

Plankton

The pig mats are the way to go. I use the white and grey ones. The white ones soak up oil and repel water and the gray ones soak up both. White is great if its wet or oil spill in a bbn puddle etc. I keep a stack of both in my truck at all times.

Southside

I don't know.  I hear you on the issue of having a leak - BUT - if you burn your machine because Murphy showed up and found a nice oil soaked pad at 3:00, then you are going to have a much larger, negative environmental impact on your hands.  Then of course your insurance company might have something to say about not fixing a known issue and potentially creating the combustion source in the interest of getting back to work.  

How long before the service truck can get there?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

donbj

Quote from: Southside on August 25, 2020, 09:56:41 PM
I don't know.  I hear you on the issue of having a leak - BUT - if you burn your machine because Murphy showed up and found a nice oil soaked pad at 3:00, then you are going to have a much larger, negative environmental impact on your hands.  Then of course your insurance company might have something to say about not fixing a known issue and potentially creating the combustion source in the interest of getting back to work.  

How long before the service truck can get there?
Kinda my thoughts with a machine and the fire hazard issue. If it's a quart a day let it leak out of the machine or fix it if you don't like that idea. It would be very tempting to leave them in there if not "full". 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

nativewolf

@barbender  ask Pekka  :D.  So we've been working to trouble shoot some of these leaks for a while, since we bought it, but couldn't track down.  Turns out some of the access plates were not/are not accessible; took days to figure that out and broken breaker bars and hot tempers and torch fuel.  Lost so much time on the diagnosis that I've blown our downtime and have to get back to work, buyers coming day after holiday so that's not much time to start getting loads on the ground.  Ponsse will have truck here, they're doing right thing it is just timing, top service guys are involved in diagnosing, good commitment and no complaints at this time- hopefully have timing sorted by tomorrow.  We do have a working tested fire suppression system and shut down properly.  

I would drop the plates/doors and pull pads every evening and put new ones in for a week or two.  Pads would beat the mountain of organic soaked material that was there (still is on one diff) previously.  We're going to lose a few days work while they are here and that's an issue so more delay would be a killer.  @barbender pads would go under or over front diff and in rear bunk channel on top of drain holes (see PM for details).  
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

1 quart a day I would just let it drip. Maybe park on a matt or over a pan at night. 

Any sort of diaper soaked in oil is bound to be flammable and I wouldn't want that stuffdd inside my machine. As for the fire suppression system I wouldn't count on it saving your machine. Personally seen multiple machines burn up with a working and deployed fire suppression system.

nativewolf

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on August 26, 2020, 08:33:34 AM
1 quart a day I would just let it drip. Maybe park on a matt or over a pan at night.

Any sort of diaper soaked in oil is bound to be flammable and I wouldn't want that stuffdd inside my machine. As for the fire suppression system I wouldn't count on it saving your machine. Personally seen multiple machines burn up with a working and deployed fire suppression system.
Can't have it dripping at this next site, just can't.  Besides I figure that the amount of material I pulled out of there was way way way worse than a single day's leak, I mean it was ..not good.  So on the whole I'm much further ahead than where we were last month.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Hes logging the ritz carlton country club next and they truly wont tolerate any machine peeing on the green.

Use ratchet straps and cardboard or even make a gurney from plywood and plank so it can be strapped easily.. Pack the diapers under the machine so you can change them without pulling the panels.  If they get ripped off oh well.  Better than a fire or getting kicked out.  Just get through this one job and get your $$ while u can. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Mike is just about spot on :D.  The door panels are no big issues, they drop easily.  One access plate requires a transmission jack to catch it so that is, of course, the one area with the worst leak. We'll plug it somehow.  

We have been offered a property right next door to the Ritz, honest to gosh neighbors.  Too much on our plate to take that on for now.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Aw cmon wyatt.  Just order another ponnse.. Then you can have two babies to feed and change.  

smiley_nananana
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on August 26, 2020, 09:43:01 AM
Aw cmon wyatt.  Just order another ponnse.. Then you can have two babies to feed and change.  

smiley_nananana
Man I'm over 50, time to stop changing diapers.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

:D

Fyi.  I maintained all the pistols ranges at s&w and they fired millions of rounds per year.  These hinges are what we used for the flip up panels to daily access the shrapnel trays underneath.  

McMaster-Carr

Theyll take  .500 or .460xvr rounds all day. Theyll take infinite stumps.   Someday when you have a mobile repair guy over.. Shorten the panels a quarter inch where they engage that lip and weld on some hinges so that can be a two bolt afair out in the woods, sans tranny jack.

Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Great thought Mike.  Thanks for that link!
Liking Walnut

Crusarius

I knew a guy with a dodge (dirty oil dripping gas eater) diesel that liked to mark its territory. He had a tree service and many times parked in ppl's driveways. Those ppl he was working for did not like the territory marking so he got a piece of landscape fabric and draped it hanging from the undercarriage. Kept all the drips off the driveways and customers were much happier.

Firewoodjoe

Is another forwarder an option? Pay rent yes but get the machine to Ponsse and get your jobs cut without new problems. No down time, fires or loss of reputation/jobs. 

ehp

here they will make you change the hdy. oil to oil that has no bearing on soil. Its real costly per drum thou so I pass on those tree hugger jobs

kiko

The longer you wait the worse it is gonna get. Might as well go on and break her down and fix it. Replace every oring and seal that you encounter to get to the ones that are leaking.  

chevytaHOE5674

If a tree hugger can spot a 1 quart leak spread over more than a 200sqft lot i would crap my pants. What are they going to do when a hose blows? Haha. 

If they are truly magic and can spot that size of leak I would just wait until the machine is fixed and before it starts leaking again. Lol

thecfarm

Put a kiddie pool under it. I sold 4 to some crew just for that reason.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

I used jumbo Modess pads with the sticky backing on my various engine leaks for years in the machinery spaces on my boats. There are also oil absorbent pads , but they are pretty expensive. Nothing is as expensive as failing a Coast Guard examination ,,,,so it is all relative.
  The kid pool idea is also good. A couple of my friends leased a Convair 880 years ago and we had to put kiddy pools under each engine nacelle  or we were not allowed to stay at airports overnight.Don't ask what we did with all the waste oil.....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

nativewolf

Quote from: kiko on August 26, 2020, 05:30:57 PM
The longer you wait the worse it is gonna get. Might as well go on and break her down and fix it. Replace every oring and seal that you encounter to get to the ones that are leaking.  
Right now it's just a matter of a Ponsse truck showing up, they are being great.  I'm just a long way from any other customer.  I like the idea to just replace a whole whack of orings and seals :).  
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!