iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow and rain effect on slabs

Started by Marshall7199, December 27, 2019, 10:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall7199

I have seen many comments regarding keeping wood dry, stacked and stickered correctly for air drying.  My air drying area does not see much sun but it does get rain and snow,  I am not protecting it from rain and snow here in SW Ohio.  Should I be concerned about the effects of moisture on these black walnut and cherry slabs? By the way, disregard the firewood.

Rookie learning from the masters.

Brad_bb

I'd rather have a roof over them to keep direct rain off.  I have 2 boules sitting outside now.  If I had space I'd put them inside.  As soon as I get my next building up, they will go in there.  I have other boules that are inside.  If you're going to do this on a continuing basis, I'd make some roof frames with corrugated sheetmetal to protect your stacks.  Maybe make them wide enough to line up two   stacks like you have there and it will cover them.  Connect the roof frames to your 6x6's or use strapping to tie them down firmly.  The only problem is that straps can loosen especially as the stack dries and shrinks, so you have to monitor them and tighten as needed.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

PA_Walnut

All good info and wisdom from @Brad_bb !
I couple of ancillary notes:

If you use metal tins, ALWAYS wear gloves to handle that stuff. I didn't and it cost me 3.5 hours of hand surgery to repair sliced tendons and nerves.  :-\

I've seen/heard people using sheets of plywood instead. At 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of tins, even with the fact that they will weather and eventually rot, by the time they do, your pile will be long done.

Another excellent option (which I may go to entirely) is Titanium commercial roof underlayment. It's $200 for a 250'x48" roll. It's tough...I mean REALLY tough, holds up well to weather and won't slice your hand.

In short, yes, cover your material. It will dry faster and is easy and cheap...a good investment in maximizing your higher grade material.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Except for white oak wine barrel staves, you should do everything possible to keep rain and snow off the lumber.  In addition to slowing air drying by adding moisture back to the wood, the oscillation from wet to dry to wet to dry, etc. creates large surface and internal cracking and can discolor light colored woods.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Marshall7199

Thanks for the comments.  I picked up a few sheets of beige corrugated PVC panels.  Plan to construct some type of a low profile cover using treated lumber.  Since I am in a residential area, I can not get too carried away with a structure.  
I am also considering a portable structure.  But wondering how durable these actually are.  I would raise open both ends and raise the bottom off the ground for additional air movement.  

NOTE FROM ADMIN. READ RULES ON SHARING PHOTOS OFFSITE PHOTOS NOT ALLIWED

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Marshall7199 on December 29, 2019, 07:49:16 PM
Thanks for the comments.  I picked up a few sheets of beige corrugated PVC panels.  Plan to construct some type of a low profile cover using treated lumber.  Since I am in a residential area, I can not get too carried away with a structure.  
I am also considering a portable structure.  But wondering how durable these actually are.  I would raise open both ends and raise the bottom off the ground for additional air movement.  
I have some experience with these. DO NOT buy the shelter logic stuff that is sold through tractor supply and many other big box outlets and on the internet if you are worried about lifetime. There are tons of these on CL in pieces and parts, they down't hold up. Do your homework and find a unit made with a proper fabric that is durable and strong. I bought one made by Rhino Shelter (or something like that. The material is heavy and strong. The frame is hot dipped galvanized. It comes with anchors to tie it into the ground (you REALLY need these if you are going to raise it up). The first winter I would go and rake snow every storm, sometimes during the storm. But after that I never touched it. It handles and sheds snow just fine. Not problem with the small branches hitting it either. I use it for 'cold storage' of things that can stay outside, but I don't want in the weather. Lawn tractors, unused machines, etc. I am very happy with it. Mine is 12x20 and I put down a crushed stone pad, then a vapor barrier, then laid a scrap wood floor on top (it's in a swampy area and I have a lot of steel things in there). It is dry and works as well as anyone could expect, but they are not very cheap. Mine was over $800. and it was worth every penny.
 I have been thinking of getting one of the cheaper ones for covering wood, but I know I will need a new cover every year or two, assuming it survives the snow.
 Good luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I've light can quickly deteriorate "plastic" panels...makes them brittle  Use UV stabilized or else paint them.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

alanh

I use, and really like the crate tops from atv/side by side/snowmobiles, if there is an recreational vehicle dealer near you, check them out, free 1x3 wooden framed panels, usually around 4'x 10' but some are bigger, tyvek type material stapled to them. tough, durable, lightweight, disposal (they`ll last a couple years at least) and did I mention..,. free

Brad_bb

Yeah, I tried some of the plastic corrugated sheets from Lowes.  I think the sun will make them more brittle over time and if you have any of it that can flap at all from the wind, it will fatigue it.  I wouldn't buy it again.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mredden

I get vct sheet flooring (think linoleam ( scraps from a client, double up on stickers on the top board. Get some rain blowing in on the sides, but it's not bad.

What's this thing you called "snow?"

Marshall7199

Brad_bb, I am guessing that since the panel I purchased is designed for exterior use, hopefully it is UV stabilized.  
Old Greenhorn, guess it is back to the same, "you get what you pay for". Thanks for the comment.

Thank You Sponsors!