iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

meter pins

Started by xlogger, December 28, 2019, 01:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

When you notice that one of your pins in the Delmhorst hammer is starting to bend do you go ahead and replace it or just let it bend all the way bad? I'm thinking it makes the other pin bend more quickly.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I tap/bend it back straight.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Delmhorst makes 1/2" long pins that bend much less.  

pins are made with a metal that is hard to bend straight or crooked without the pin breaking or starting a break that actual breaks all the way soon.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

Quote from: WDH on December 29, 2019, 08:34:11 AM
I tap/bend it back straight.
I've tried that a time or two and broke the pins.
Gene, I use longer pins mostly because I drying live edge slabs and run them in from edge to get in slabs deep as I can.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

YellowHammer

Yep, the pins are fragile.  Try to bend them back before they get too bad.  They snap off pretty easy.  I'm not real sure whey they are made of such brittle material.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!