iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer LT70 with 62 CAT review

Started by Bibbyman, July 27, 2003, 06:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I've got to see the new Wood-Mizer LT70 a couple of three times over the past year but all were to some extent prototype units.  The LT70 they had at the Field Days at Mt. Vernon was a fully evolved machine with all the bells and whistles,  Accuset,  Remote Station, debarker, Lube-Mizer, laser sight, etc. – including the new 62 hp CAT engine.

During the course of the time Mary and I were there,  we got to see them fire it up three times.  Will Baugh sawed up a walnut log during each demo.  Although a couple were more than 14" diameter,  the LT70 with the CAT engine showed no strain sawing into them.  Cutting 12" of walnut or just air, the CAT engine sounded the same.

Doug Keele explains as Will Baugh changes a blade.

Another feature about the new LT70 finally sunk in  - with the single mast holding up the sawhead,  there are NO posts in the way of changing the blade.  The double doors sawing wide open for easy access for blade change.

Doug Keele and Greg Bear of WM Indy brought out the LT70 with a new prototype table.   It's not the final design.  Doug says this prototype hinged back over the bed for transport.  They have changed the design to one that lifts and slides up over the bed for transport.  They felt it easier to handle and safer.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

D._Frederick

Bibby,
The 62 hp cat still sounds like overkill, what do you think? It is comparable to you going from your 25hp motor to a 40hp motor, would the extra 15 hp make your mill production go up?

biziedizie

Bibby when you say

"Another feature about the new LT70 finally sunk in  - with the single mast holding up the sawhead,  there are NO posts in the way of changing the blade."

What do you mean by this???

Are there mills that have posts in the way that make changing the blades harder???

Steve

Bibbyman

The more access the better.  

I've not changed a blade on a four poster with the head suspended in the middle (not all are) but I'd think it would be more awkward.

Here is a picture of the Hud-Son Oscar mill.

Wood-Mizer is claiming a 35% increase in production over the 25 hp 3ph or 42 diesel.  How much production do you need?  How much can you handle?  I don't need that much production and I couldn't handle it.  But somebody does and can.

Wood-Mizer Unveils New Super-Powered Sawmill

The nice little walnut log was not enough resistance to put a strain on the mill/CAT engine.  Then again,  I don't think Will had the peddle to the metal either - I suspect it could have been pushed twice as fast.  It was only the first time he had sawn on it.  Feed it a diet of big hard logs and it may break a sweet.

Right now the 62 CAT engine option is at an "introductory" price.  I can't remember just what it is but it's not that much more than the 42 Kabota.

They are not saying too much about it but they are also offering a 51 hp CAT engine.
Sawing since '94

Percy

Well I been cutting some pretty large Birch these last few days and am still relativly inexperienced with my LT70(250 hours). I have yet to make the 42 hp sweat but on a particular 26 inch wide cut, I had the kubota workin good. I think a  bigger motor would last longer because it would never have to work as hard. Regardless, if that biggass Cat was available when I ordered my mill, I wudda got one...heh...

Ya Bibby, the blade changes are easier, but I still have to remember...blade goes around debarker, not under it...old habits die hard....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Sven Christiansen

QuoteRegardless, if that biggass Cat was available when I ordered my mill, I wudda got one...heh...
Percy,

You might want to call the office (1-800-553-0182) and ask one of the sales guys about upgrading your new 42 to the 62.

It never hurts to ask!   ;)

Bibbyman

FYI
Wood-Mizer just updated their website with details on their latest LT70 + CAT 62 and LT40 + CAT 51 savings.

Wood-Mizer LT70 and LT40 + CAT
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!