Started by richhiway, December 11, 2015, 06:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

4x4American

I like the strap and bungee idear.  It can be a pain trying to get the tongs centered just perfectly.  Usually takes me a couple two three tries.  Once I get it close, I leave one tong in and just move the other tong to get it to straighten up and fly right.  Then as Murphy's law dictates, once you get it fairly level, it will spin around to just exactly where you don't want it to be.  In which case you lower the boom just enough so that one end of the log touches the ground, and you go forward or reverse to get it where you want it.  Looks like you're having fun  8)
Boy, back in my day..

richhiway

Loading a pine log on the Logosol.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Easy, it's a big one.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Czech_Made

JRWoodchuck

What machine are you loading the pine with? Looks quite handy!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: 4x4American on October 17, 2016, 08:52:07 PM
I like the strap and bungee idear.  It can be a pain trying to get the tongs centered just perfectly.  Usually takes me a couple two three tries.  Once I get it close, I leave one tong in and just move the other tong to get it to straighten up and fly right.  Then as Murphy's law dictates, once you get it fairly level, it will spin around to just exactly where you don't want it to be.  In which case you lower the boom just enough so that one end of the log touches the ground, and you go forward or reverse to get it where you want it.  Looks like you're having fun  8)
I use my SkyTrak to move my logs.  I have tongs on the end of my 5' forks.  I grab a log about 6 or 7' from the big end.  When I tilt the forks up, the butt catches under the fork frame and I have a javelin sticking straight out.  I've moved 18' x 24" pine like this.  Since I can extend the boom, I load my mill from the end.  Someday, when I finish my cabin, the SkyTrak will be sold and I'll need to build a dead deck.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

richhiway

Just a little mini excavator.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Quote from: richhiway on December 09, 2016, 05:11:57 PM

A lot of chainsaw milling questions are about keeping the chain true and sharp. I found this is a quick way to keep the chain touched up.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

EZ Lap Diamond bit and guide with a 12V rotary tool. The guide has 30 and 35 degree lines,here I am grinding at 10 deg. You can see the anglr of the bit against the cutte.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Just a few seconds on each tooth,cleans them right up. I can do it on the mill,usually after each log.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

A video link. Cutting a big Cherry slab with the 046 Magnum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5dbXLoI_U8
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

A video link old 038 farm boss cutting some pine 2x6 with a Haddon lumber attachment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLCp4s0LJc&t=2s
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

paul case

Where did you get the Haddon  lumber attachment?

I think one of those would help me as a bundle cut off guide?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Briankinley2004

I have a sky trac too. Do you have any pictures of your set up

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on December 09, 2016, 11:15:07 PM
I have a sky trac too. Do you have any pictures of your set up
Sadly, no good pictures, just a couple like this:

And now, it is probably under a couple feet of snow. :(

I pretty much work alone and I'm always too short of time to take a picture in action, it seems.  One fork had a large hole burned through the tip that I put a very large shackle through.  I have a second shackle to rotate the tongs to the proper direction and hang them directly from that, no chains.  My forks are 60" long so I grab a log about 6' from the near end.  I rotate the forks up and the butt is trapped under the fork carriage so the far end of the logs gets lifted off the ground.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

richhiway

I purchased the Haddon lumber maker on Ebay. They are inexpensive and well made. Yes you can cut square ends with it. I have a simple T jig to cut beams square.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Sharping the chain on the mill.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

To true the chain without putting it on the bench mounted grinder,use a file guide as sold by Granberg and others. This sets your angles and depth of cut so all your teeth are the same. A 12V grinder with the gauge is also available. With any hand held sharpener you will eventually end up with uneven and cutters with different angles. When ripping you have to have a nearly perfect chain at all times.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Putting a large pine log on the Logosol.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!