iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Table Wood ID

Started by DWyatt, August 27, 2020, 03:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

My father in law questioned me about the kind of wood this table is made of. He sent these two pictures and I am stumped. I know the table is in Ohio but I have no idea where it was made. What are your thoughts?

Don P

Looks like it could be ERC with some age on it, reds turning more brown.

KEC

WDH

Does not look native to me.  Maybe acacia. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

The high sapwood content is what's throwing me for a loop. It's hard for me to draw conclusions without seeing a board with more Heartwood.

WDH

See if he can get a close-up pic of the long grain and a close-up pic of the end grain. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

The brown color makes me wonder if it is hickory?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

RussMaGuss

I vote hickory as well, but want to see more close ups as well

WDH

I would vote hickory too if it is domestic, but I still suspect that it is not native.  A look at the pore structure of the end grain of the breadboard will confirm if it is native or an import. 

tule peak timber

Mesquite, possibly. I also want to say young teak with the sapwood ratio. Need closer pics please.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

Yes, teak is also a good candidate.

DWyatt

Sorry guys, I can't get anymore pictures. My original vote was for hickory. After talking with him further, this table was in a cabin that they stayed at in South Dakota and they are no longer there. Thanks for your insight, even if the final decision is up in the air!

tule peak timber

A huge clue would be if the table was purchased ,,or built. Cheers.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!