iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder cable ferrules.

Started by BargeMonkey, April 12, 2019, 01:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

It's been talked about on here, I had to change a cable out the other day so I took a couple pictures, I'm a fan of using them and havent had a problem yet. 

I was using the grey ones with 3/4 swaged, went to 7/8 cable this time. 

Get it hand tight, hang it upside down and slap it with a decent sized hammer. 

Theres a whole lot of pain right there. 😂 

teakwood

I use the pink ones for 1/2-5/8" cable.  i am also a fan of them, they are hands down the best solution for a cable end! and you can loose them with a small hammer in no time.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

cable here already comes with the end on it , for my winch the end has to be the proper size to fit the place on the drum to hold itself . double swedge  cable here as well, you got to watch on how you hook your trees up and keep them set up in a straight line which is not to hard , very rare I get 3 trees on machine

Ed_K

I used the pink one but I used it on the drum side. I put the cable on in 08 and haven't had a problem yet.
Ed K

logman81

Place I get mine from puts it on the end free of charge.
Precision Firewood & Logging

sidehill6

*DanG, 7/8 cable and 9 sliders that will make a man out of somebody or killem in all that flat land east of Oneonta!!!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: sidehill6 on April 12, 2019, 11:36:07 AM
*DanG, 7/8 cable and 9 sliders that will make a man out of somebody or killem in all that flat land east of Oneonta!!!
I live east of Oneonta and ain't hardly nothin' flat here, but I suppose if you are 'just east' then there is some flatland.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

A-z farmer

Thank you for the information Bargemonkey
I just got a replacement cable for my wallenstein winch from the dealer for 550 with shipping .It is good to know there are options out there.
Zeke

BargeMonkey

Quote from: A-z farmer on April 12, 2019, 01:14:04 PM
Thank you for the information Bargemonkey
I just got a replacement cable for my wallenstein winch from the dealer for 550 with shipping .It is good to know there are options out there.
Zeke
550 dollars US ? for small wire ? Did it come with dinner and a movie first? I want to say that cable was 350 ? 20 bucks for the ball. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: sidehill6 on April 12, 2019, 11:36:07 AM
Lots of flat ground here. 9 sliders would destroy a weak man if your actually pulling cable 😂 unless it's big handcut stuff I'm getting bunched wood, 4-5 to a pile. 

sidehill6

Barge, when I was about your age I used to hand cut and help hook for the skidder operators, mostly 240 jacks and 518 cats. 3/4 swaged with six or seven sliders was more than enough working in the hills between Deposit and Worcester. end of day I wanted to roll over and play dead

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on April 12, 2019, 07:42:50 AM
cable here already comes with the end on it , for my winch the end has to be the proper size to fit the place on the drum to hold itself . double swedge  cable here as well, you got to watch on how you hook your trees up and keep them set up in a straight line which is not to hard , very rare I get 3 trees on machine
I thought you'd get  1/2 a tree  :D
Liking Walnut

A-z farmer

Barge 
No dinner or movie just US dollars for half inch cable 165 feet long with one end already attached.
I am sure there is a lot of fingers in the pot from Canada to get to me on the farm.
Thank you 
Zeke

thecfarm

Labonville has ½ inch cable much cheaper, @A-z farmer,  I only run 3/8 on my winch. 165 feet for about $160. I tried the ½ inch on my Norse and it would not stay against the drum. Would make a mess. Went back to the smaller cable and much better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

A-z farmer

Thecfarm 
Thank you for the information 
I should have asked questions here first about a replacement cables.I think it was my operator error with the cable getting kinked up on the drum after only one season of use .Everyday is a learning experience and sometimes expensive.

BurkettvilleBob

Thanks for posting this. I bought a nice pink one last time I was at Harold's, knowing that if I didn't my cable would break. Needless to say, I haven't needed it yet.

jdatwood

I use those as well. I've tied a knot on the end in a pinch but really don't care for it unless absolutely needed to keep pulling wood. Used to keep a Morse Starett cable cutter in the box too but with cordless tools these days a 18volt Milwaukee 4-1/2" cut off saw seems to be the answer. I don't have even a quarter of the problems braking mainlines now with the ferrules on the end, knots really weaken the cable. 

Twindadx2

Hey there,

Where are you guys buying the Skidding Ferrules?  I'm in Ontario Canada and just broke the cable on my Wallenstein FX85 skidding winch.  Need a new ferrule end for the 3/8 cable

g_man

Quote from: Twindadx2 on August 08, 2020, 08:07:47 PM
Hey there,

Where are you guys buying the Skidding Ferrules?  I'm in Ontario Canada and just broke the cable on my Wallenstein FX85 skidding winch.  Need a new ferrule end for the 3/8 cable
I bought a ferrule for  my 1/2" cable at Westech Rigging. 1/2" is the smallest I have seen.  They have something for 3/8" but  it is a little different than a standard a ferrule.

https://www.westechrigging.com/quick-nub-set-b-6.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwmrn5BRB2EiwAZgL9ovscJTGR0g9iEdIX8HYYojINSdltwgbKdjZHHPL8ihK0spvgm7oBAxoC0v0QAvD_BwE

gg

mike_belben

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 12, 2019, 01:10:37 AM

Theres a whole lot of pain right there. 😂
Not coincidentally, thats probably about what your spine will look like when that pile of sliders is done with you!
Praise The Lord

g_man

Quote from: Twindadx2 on August 08, 2020, 08:07:47 PM
Hey there,

Where are you guys buying the Skidding Ferrules?  I'm in Ontario Canada and just broke the cable on my Wallenstein FX85 skidding winch.  Need a new ferrule end for the 3/8 cable
I should have added that you can get key-hole end from Hud-Son with a ferrule on it for 3/8. I have heard people say they like them. A little pricey though.

https://www.hud-son.com/product/swivel-end-fitter-t3/

gg

Firewoodjoe

I can't get this no tighter. Is it right? It's 9/16-5/8 size Ferrell

It's 9/16 swedge cable. I'm thinking a size bigger may fit better. I'll go suck some big trees up a hill and see.

BargeMonkey

Those wedges either go in nice with the "lay" of the wire or they dont, your 1 position off if they dont. I try and leave about 1/2" or so of wire / wedge sticking out, not bad what you've got, I would just hold it up and slap it with a 3-5lb hammer a couple times to get it seated before you hooked to something, I've never had one blow off, if there is any excess I just trim them with a grinder, wrap the end in gorilla tape if it's still poking out a bit. 

Iwawoodwork

In the photo of the quick nub/Ferrell that Barge showed It looked like the wedges/ inserts were steel , in our experience with these we found that the aluminum inserts/ wedges worked far better than the hard steel. With the aluminum wedges the cable strands sucked down into the Ferrell better and did not strip out as easy under a real hard pull. We used the quick nubs on line sizes from 3/8 to 1". on the 666 Clark  and the D8 logging cats.

teakwood

just make sure you have them installed correctly, one cable in the middle and the 6 outside cables perfectly seated in the grooves of the wedges. when you put a heavy load on the will still travel some way in and tighten everything  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!