iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Sharpener & Tooth Setter

Started by ahlkey, February 25, 2009, 06:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I have a Norword 2000 sawmill and am considering buying their sharpener & tooth setter.  However, it is pretty expensive and would like to hear any feedback from anyone who has experience with it or other alternatives.   I currently have all my blades done out of house but could see a reasonable payback if I did it mysefl over the next few years. 

Russ

I have Wright profile sharpener. Works great the lift spring that came with it had to be replaced with a stronger spring so it cleared the top of the teeth. Maybe a woodmizer sharpener would match the profile of the wood-mizer blades. My point is get a sharpener that goes with the blades your using. I think I've saved $1000. in blades so far. I sharpen blades that maybe shouldn't be sharpened. I also suggest get a tension gauge for your band blade. Watching the tension gauge on my wood-mizer I can tell when its heating up or dulling. I love watching it profile sharpen over 100 teeth in a few minutes, most folks I talk to would rather just send the blades out.

Woodey

I purchased a used woodmizer sharpener and tooth setter. I've used is several times so far. The amount saved on shipping will pay for the sharpener in no time. I would suggest it depends on your extra time and amount of sawing you do.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

robnrob2

I own a hudson Sharpener and I have made some redesign to it, and added some stuff to get it to dial in easiely, but I would not recomend the hudson, not enough power and to finakie,,
For the money and quality I would recomend the Cooks Amish sharpener, same machine as there powered one just no motor,, I visited Cooks last year and seen them, a well worth buy,,
I own there Dual tooth setter, this machine is super heavy duty, acurate and fast, I can set the teeth in about 2 minutes,
You know one issue I had with the Hudson,  the push finger that advances the blade, pushed on a tooth that was about 2 away from the grind rock, and if the space was not correct at the weld, it would throw things off, and screw up the blade,, I added a piece to that so it pushes  on the tooth to be ground.

MrMoo

I also have a Wright profile grinder. For setting I use a Cooks Cat Claw. I like doing my own blades and I don't have the hassle of sending them out.

Ironwood

The Norwood grinder is, well just OK. The Dremel tool is fine but the small diameter little wheels wear out fairly fast. I suppose it depends on how many blades you plan to sharpen. For me, I do a few here and there and then sometimes a BIG batch. I got mine used w/ my mill for about 1/2 money (about the right value given it's capability ;D). There new multi directions setter looks VERY nice and a value price. I have NEVER seen a bargin on a used sharpener or setter until just recently, I unfortunately was out of cash (spent my daily quota) at an auction and saw a multi direction setter go for $200.  :o

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jdtuttle

Sawmill exchange has lots of used ones.
Have a great day

Ironwood

Looks like in additon to the new setter, Norwood has come out w/ a new grinder. It seems to be said similar to the Dina grinder.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!