iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lombardini fuel in oil

Started by soilmover, March 14, 2014, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soilmover

Just a note to those of you running the Lombardini diesel. They had some problems early on with the fuel lines under the valve cover leaking fuel into the oil. We just had the problem and that's the first thing that we checked. After running the engine, pressurizing the fuel lines, checking the O-rings we couldn't find the leak. Come to find it was the fuel pump sealing diaphragm that was leaking at the plunger seal. The pump worked perfectly and we would have never known there was a problem and probably ruined the engine if we hadn't checked the oil ( morning & lunch time).  Hopefully by frequent checking it will save someone else their engine and/or a lot of time finding the problem. We found it by taking the pump off, filling the actuator housing with fuel, plugging the outlet line (injector side) and lightly pressurizing the fuel inlet side. the fuel in the housing will bubble. - Tony 

ladylake

Good job, how much fuel did it put in the oil in 1/2 day.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

soilmover

enough that it was running out of the dipstick hole.

GDinMaine

That sounds to me, like a large amount of fuel in the oil.  I know someone who had a 1997 Lombardini that gave up the ghost after 2000 hours.  Wonder if it had a similar issue and he never noticed.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Dave Shepard

I always try to check the oil on stuff all the time. We had an IH 756 with the Nuess diesel that would blow the seal in the injector pump and fill the crankcase with oil. You knew it pretty quick, because it would start blowing oil and fuel out the crankcase breather. Turned out to be a bad check valve in the return line in the bottom of the tank.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

giant splinter

Fuel Dilution is one of the worst things that can happen to your engine, it does not take much to kill a good engine ....... best policy is check your oil regularly.
roll with it

soilmover

Lost an engine in a cat dozer few years back, that's what made me a stickler about checking oil. That was not from fuel in it but small hole worn in the pan ( mud build up in the belly pan). A closer watch would have saved a lot of $ and time.

sawguy21

One of my customers had the same problem with a Briggs and Stratton (Daihatsu) diesel. A bad injector was the culprit, I am a little surprised the engine didn't lock up from hydraulic pressure.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!