iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question for anyone in or near Traverse City MI

Started by maestro, October 02, 2008, 09:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maestro

Ever hear of McRae Hill?  I'm looking for some info, pics or what not.  I'm a McRae on my mom's side and McRae Hill is family heritage.  I doubt I could get to MI for several years and was just wondering if any of you live in or near Traverse City and if so, do you know  of McRae Hill?  Let me know, thanks!

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

Shotgun

Howdy,
Yup, I live in Traverse City. What sort of picture of McRae Hill are you looking for? Give me a little definition of what it is you're looking for, and I'd be glad to take a picture of whatever you'd like and send it on.  I don't know of any other FF members that actually live in Traverse City.  The closest other member lives about 30 or so miles away.

It sounds from your note that you haven't actually lived here, but your Mom's family did.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Norm

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

maestro

Thanks for the response, I've only visited there once or twice as a small boy.  All I know is there is some family history associated with the hill, not even sure if it's a hill, bump, mountain or what.  Mom thinks Alex McRae owned it way back when but isn't sure.  I know the older family came over from Scotland to Nova Scotia then across Canada and down into Michigan.  Logging was the family trade at that time and I was wondering if that hill was part of a homestead or just a piece of property. I'm just looking for some information.  Any information, I guess. lol.  Don't know the questions to ask so whatever you know would be great!  The ones who knew are long gone but my curiosity is getting the best of me. 

Thanks for any time you may put into this, there is not a scrap of importance here, really...just curious. 
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

uncle kenn

yep, Mcray hill is the name of the old highway on US 31 South that goes from South airport rd. up the steep hill towards Chums Corners.  Been in TC most of my life.   Uncle Kenn

maestro

Hey gang, been a while!  Got married in 2010 and quit spending so much time online!  Found out a little more of my history, Alex McRae is my Great Great Grandfather, Clint McRae is my Great Grandfather, Clark McRae is my Grandfather.  McRae hill is (was) family property and I'm curious to know the logging history or connections to Alex.  I'm fascinated by old time logging equipment and techniques so this is a neat connection!  Thanks for indulging me! 

Thank You Sponsors!