iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Osage Orange for a base to Air Dry lumber

Started by Tristen, November 05, 2020, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tristen

Hedge, Osage Orange cookies 7 inches thick to be used as a base to stack lumber.   I ran out of concrete blocks so i hope these hedge blocks will not absorb moisture into my lumber stack.   I will place a Pine 4x4 on top of them and then a 1 inch sticker total 12 inches off the ground.  I don't have a concrete slab, and i don't want to sink poles in the ground for a base.  Do you think this will work ? Dose osage orange absorb moisture 7 inches up? 
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

Ianab

Maybe put a waterproof membrane on top of the post? Heavy plastic or roofing asphalt etc. Then it wont matter what the post does.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kantuckid

Concrete & concrete blocks absorb moisture too, not sure I get the question? 
The plastic suggestion makes sense either way I suppose. The wood could be anything stable, not just osage orange? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

One comment about 12" off the ground.  What we really want is an opening to the edge of the pile that is 12" high.  If you run a 5" timber on the ground parallel to the length of the lumber that is 12" off the ground , then it will only give you 7" of opening.

Hedge apple is indeed very resistant to insects and decay.  It is a reasonable choice for the foundation and an excellent choice for wood above the foundation in the air drying yard.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Tristen

Quote from: Ianab on November 05, 2020, 08:37:38 PM
Maybe put a waterproof membrane on top of the post? Heavy plastic or roofing asphalt etc. Then it wont matter what the post does.
Roofing asphalt !    wow thank you.   I am very new and did not even think of that great idea i think that is my answer. 
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors

Tristen

Quote from: kantuckid on November 07, 2020, 08:38:19 AM
Concrete & concrete blocks absorb moisture too, not sure I get the question?
The plastic suggestion makes sense either way I suppose. The wood could be anything stable, not just osage orange?
I did not realize concrete blocks would absorb moisture, i was counting them as a moisture barrier between my lumber and the ground.    I guess the question was/is,  " will osage orange (7 inch thick) act as a moisture barrier between the ground and my lumber ? "  

Tristen

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on November 08, 2020, 08:15:48 PM
One comment about 12" off the ground.  What we really want is an opening to the edge of the pile that is 12" high.  If you run and 6" timber on the ground, then it will only give you 6" of opening.

Hedge apple is indeed very resistant to insects and decay.  It is a reasonable choice for the foundation and an excellent choice for wood above the foundation in the air drying yard.
I am wanting to try a 7 inch thick hedge cookie, then a 4 inch pine 4x4 (true 4x4) and then the 1 inch sticker for a total of 12 inches.   
I used 7 inch maple as a base under two of my stacks ( I know bad choice but it was all i had at the time) and i can see the water traveling up from the ground into the maple.   I was hoping water would not travel upwards into the hedge.   

Tristen

Wow !  you guys are great !   as a very newbe with a saw mill I do NOT think of all these things that just come second nature to you guys.      I am very thankful you took the time to answer.    Something so simple to you guys as stacking lumber has been giving me a rough time. 

Thank you very much  !    I can not began to explain how much i have gained by reading some of these post on this forum.   It is so nice to have access to your experience and knowledge. Thank you !  

Tristen

I just wanted to say thank you all very much,  This is the 7 inch Hedge (osage orange) cookies then the asphalt shingle and then the pine 4x4.   Yes the tarp will come off when the temp is above freezing again.  So far this is working.  We will see how it holds up after the spring thaw.  Thanks for all your help !  

Walnut Beast

farmfromkansas

I build frames from 2x4's about 2' wider and 2' longer than the stack, then screw used barn tin on top and put on top of the pile, use straps to fasten it to the base, and it helps shade the wood and keep it dry.  When I move the lumber, just put the frame on top of the base frame so it does not rot away before I get it filled up again.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The chemicals that provide insect and decay resistance in any species are in the heartwood.  So, sapwood can offer a breeding places and homes for various insects.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Tristen

Quote from: farmfromkansas on January 22, 2021, 10:53:08 PM
I build frames from 2x4's about 2' wider and 2' longer than the stack, then screw used barn tin on top and put on top of the pile, use straps to fasten it to the base, and it helps shade the wood and keep it dry.  When I move the lumber, just put the frame on top of the base frame so it does not rot away before I get it filled up again.
That is a few months away, but yes this in the works also. 

Tristen

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on January 22, 2021, 11:45:40 PM
The chemicals that provide insect and decay resistance in any species are in the heartwood.  So, sapwood can offer a breeding places and homes for various insects.
yes, I did not have enough hedge laying around to cut the sapwood off first. Thanks for the heads up, and this is also in the works.  Hardwood hedge blocks square like solid concrete block.   

Thank You Sponsors!