iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Relationship between tension and kiln drying

Started by JoshNZ, January 18, 2021, 11:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

I've got a bunch of black walnut slabs back from a guy with a kiln which had a lot of tension in them, lots of splitting while cutting, boards lifting on opening cuts etc. I remember dropping the odd one and seeing slabs explode apart, trimming splits and seeing them propagate further etc.

The stuff I've got back seems to be happy as anything. I've trimmed splits off and they don't continue further, ripped them into lengths and seen no bending etc.

Is it necessary for timber to go through a kiln to achieve this? I can imagine the wood having been beaten up in a kiln will do all it's going to do, and be relaxed at the end. But it's only a theory. Would air drying for 2 years achieve the same result or is it this high heat and temperature change that does it?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Getting rid of growth stresses has been studied for a century with little progress.  The kiln does not help much at all.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

alan gage

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on January 19, 2021, 10:27:59 PM
Getting rid of growth stresses has been studied for a century with little progress.  The kiln does not help much at all.
What about improper drying? Could it be the wood/slabs he got from the original kiln were dried improperly and made things worse?
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ianab

Quote from: alan gage on January 20, 2021, 03:42:02 PMCould it be the wood/slabs he got from the original kiln were dried improperly and made things worse?

You could make things worse by case hardening the wood with incorrect drying, that causes all sorts weird things to happen.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JoshNZ

Not sure I'm following, the slabs were never worse than when they were fresh off the mill. The kiln made them a lot better it seems.

On the note if splitting @Ianab or any other kiwis what do you do for end sealer in NZ? I can't find anchorseal anywhere

JoshNZ

Yeah sorry I've worded my first post poorly. The trees are what had the tension, young walnut. Lots of carry on while milling. Splitting while handling or crosscutting. After the kiln run, aside from the existing splits it's been pretty good to work with

WDH

I have found small walnut and yellow poplar logs to the worst for growth stress.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: JoshNZ on January 21, 2021, 06:02:41 AM
Not sure I'm following, the slabs were never worse than when they were fresh off the mill. The kiln made them a lot better it seems.
This is why I will always let my walnut "stew" or "wilt" for an extra day at high temperatures, with a very slow cool down, no moisture removal, in the kiln.  It seems to settle them down a little.  It' subjective, but it produces less stressed wood for me.  The proof is when planing at the end.  A board with lots of internal stress will will bow, sometimes badly, when planed unequally from both sides.  Since we do a lot of facing, there is some unequal planing involved, and that's where I spot the problem.  Last night for example, I was double side carpet planing, and my cherry and walnut were coming out flat, but some professionally kiln dried maple I had bought would go in bowed and come out bowed in the other direction, indicating significant internal stress.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

alan gage

Quote from: JoshNZ on January 21, 2021, 06:06:17 AM
Yeah sorry I've worded my first post poorly. The trees are what had the tension, young walnut. Lots of carry on while milling. Splitting while handling or crosscutting. After the kiln run, aside from the existing splits it's been pretty good to work with
Gotcha. The original post makes more sense to me now. I thought you'd gotten different results from different kiln driers.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ianab

Quote from: JoshNZ on January 21, 2021, 06:02:41 AM
On the note if splitting @Ianab or any other kiwis what do you do for end sealer in NZ? I can't find anchorseal anywhere
Mobil used to sell a wax emulsion for the job, but I don't think the do any more. 
I did find this one though. 
End Grain Sealer (Log Shield ) 4 litre - Timberly Woodturning
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JoshNZ

I think the kiln operator did the same thing here, must've had the same idea. He also left it sealed and let it cool over a couple of days.

I spotted that Ian, more or less the same stuff? I saw on u-buy a note under anchor seal saying this product is restricted in your country. Don't know if it was a website thing or what but kind of odd noone has bothered to stock it?

Don P

The world supply chain is a funny thing, y'all can get a structural rated polyurethane glue that I cannot buy here, even though it is made here, go figure. Foundation or roofing tar is a mess, especially if the wife leans back on some in her dress clothes! but it does work.

On topic, does steaming lessen the tension in walnut? I've experienced the same thing WDH mentioned, small poplar can finish the cut before the saw gets there  :D.

JoshNZ

Yeah I've run my saw down 1 slab after the opening cut on these walnut logs and just about had the edge cut me in half standing beside it the way it pops open. Definitely pays to pick your logs for slabbing. I do find there is rarely tension in the heart, if you're lucky enough to get rid of the sapwood without it pulling itself to bits then you're home free

Thank You Sponsors!