iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle 150/ hybrid?

Started by PAmizerman, January 17, 2021, 10:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

All the recommendations I've seen for the 150 have a short container. Has anyone used the 150 in 20-26 foot container.
I just feel like if I can cut 26' I would be kicking myself at some point if can't dry as long as I can cut. Maybe partition it off for shorter material?

Does the heater work with a thermostat for temp control? Has anyone built a hybrid kiln and pump hot air in from a boiler to lower electric consumption?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

doc henderson

I have not done it, but any supplemental heat should be ok, although maybe not all is as easy to regulate.  I have planned to make a firewood kiln/heat treat using an old wood furnace that is heat box to air plenum.  some guys just add the halogen work lights.  it is not recommended to heat only the floor in a radiant style as the bottom wood gets more of the heat.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

It won't really matter how long you make the kiln chamber as long as you get proper circulation and air flow.  It's important to not get any dead spots, especially on the ends.  One issue to having a bigger chamber is that there will be a tendency to overload it and put more wood in than the kiln can handle.  Also there is the problem of baffling to the top of the stack, if the stacks of lumber are not consistent.  All can be solved.

Many people use auxiliary heat for a DH kiln.  I use halogen lights, some people use OWB's, whatever works to bring in heat.  The more heat brought in, the less the DH unit needs to be used, as venting moist air, as long as heat can be maintained, is an excellent option.  Basically, it turns a DH kiln into a conventional kiln.  

All heat and venting of moist air needs to be regulated to maintain proper DB and WB conditions.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!