iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID for 3 trees

Started by WVMountaineers, April 29, 2021, 08:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVMountaineers

WDH

Bottom two look to be hickory.  The first could be hickory too.  Do you have any twigs/buds/leaves?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WVMountaineers

Quote from: WDH on April 29, 2021, 09:19:33 PM
Bottom two look to be hickory.  The first could be hickory too.  Do you have any twigs/buds/leaves?
Couldn't see any. The last one down I thought was maybe an elm. I don't see a lot of them here though 

WDH

The bottom one is red hickory, Carya ovalis.  

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

I do believe that all three are hickories.  The second one is almost certainly pignut hickory or bitternut hickory, most likely bitternut.  They are easy to tell apart with the leaves.  Also the buds of bitternut are sulfur yellow.

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

luap

cannot help you. A long time ago I had a college course in forestry. to pass the class ,the students were required to identify 50 species of various trees and shrubs all by buds, leaf scars, no bark, leaves etc and know the latin names and correct spelling. It was a fun class and yes I did pass the class. The other  class that was also interesting was a soil class That was taught by a pakistani PHD whose lectures were extremely difficult because of his accent. He gave lot's of reading assignments and his exams were always based on the reading assignment, never on his lectures. So if you didn't read the book you were in trouble. Too long ago now

Walnut Beast

What kind of pine trees are these big guys and are they worth sawmilling up with all the branches that came off them ?  Thanks 

Southside

How many needles and what do they look like?  As far as are they worth sawing?  Seems to be the big limbs are on the one side, so for say "knotty pine" interior wood, that sort of stuff - you will have some waste around the monster limbs but otherwise they would probably be OK.   I would not even try to make framing lumber from those.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Ok Thanks! We really don't have many pines around here. I will check that out on the needles. Just a couple miles down the road. 

WDH

Most helpful would be # of needles per fascicle, needle length.    A cone would be a tremendous help.  

thecfarm

Don't listen to me, but those pine trees look a lot like the eastern white pine on my land. 
I don't have any that grow in an open row like that, but I have some with limbs that big and that low. 
They sure do keep me warm when it's cold outside.  ;)
When my father and me was cutting this land, we would haul out the limbs on those big ones for pulp.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Quote from: thecfarm on January 23, 2022, 10:22:48 AM
Don't listen to me, but those pine trees look a lot like the eastern white pine on my land.
I don't have any that grow in an open row like that, but I have some with limbs that big and that low.
They sure do keep me warm when it's cold outside.  ;)
When my father and me was cutting this land, we would haul out the limbs on those big ones for pulp.
I'm with you, Im certain those are EWP. 
A1

Big_eddy

My turn
These logs have me stumped.
Wood is white under the bark, reddish deeper.
Bark looks almost like pine.
My first thought was cherry, but it does not cut, split or smell like cherry. 
(It does not smell like pine either.)

stavebuyer

customsawyer

The last three pictures look like Deoder Cedar.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Big_eddy

Quote from: customsawyer on January 26, 2022, 06:41:14 AM
The last three pictures look like Deoder Cedar.
I don't know what Deoder Cedar is. Here in Ontario we have red and white cedar (how Canadian of us) and they certainly are not either of those.
Biggest log is about 24" dia.
What ticks me off is I've spent the last 30 winters playing "name that tree" with my kids while out snowshoeing. We're typically pretty good at recognizing bark. ???

customsawyer

If you google it there is more answers. It is native to the Himalayas. I haven't figured out how they got over here. I have one in my yard that a tree service took down in town. Near as I can figure it's around 150 years old. Interesting growth on some of the limbs and a unique smell when sawed.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Big_eddy

Quote from: stavebuyer on January 26, 2022, 03:50:15 AM
Sure, looks like Cherry.
I've taken a better look at some of the logs (in daylight without the snow on them) and I am now sure that they are cherry. It was the layer of white wood  under the bark that was throwing me. Most cherry I have seen before was trunk wood without the white band. The larger logs are more typical of the cherry I am used to.
Thanks for the inputs. Unfortunately these are firewood logs, and they are bent, twisted, and none of them are suitable for milling.

Ron Scott

~Ron

thecfarm

All the cheery that I have ever seen on my land would not even make straight smoke.  :(  I only know where there are 2. I am clearing down by the road and have left them to grow, crooked, they look more like a snake crawling across the ground.  :o
Them thing seem to die at about 8-10 inches across. These 2 have a few more years left in them.  :)  When they fall over, they don't rot either. But they still make crooked smoke.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Big_eddy

Quote from: thecfarm on January 29, 2022, 06:13:06 PM
All the cheery that I have ever seen on my land would not even make straight smoke.  :(  I only know where there are 2. I am clearing down by the road and have left them to grow, crooked, they look more like a snake crawling across the ground.  :o
Them thing seem to die at about 8-10 inches across. These 2 have a few more years left in them.  :)  When they fall over, they don't rot either. But they still make crooked smoke.   ;D
These ones must be relatives of yours! Out of 8-10 logs, the longest straight section is about 2'

WDH

Cherry is shade intolerant. It looks for a hole or light in the canopy and strives to go there.  If that hole/light is not straight up, the cherry won't be either.  In managing for cherry, give the crown light from all sides and some room to grow.  

Walnut Beast

Quote from: WDH on January 23, 2022, 10:09:59 AM
Most helpful would be # of needles per fascicle, needle length.    A cone would be a tremendous help.  
This is what I got guys. Thanks 

thecfarm

Oh yea, Eastern White Pine. I have 100's of them things on my land that would make lumber. Then 1000's more that are growing. 

Walnut Beast

Thank You Sponsors!