iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question for the Corley experts

Started by halfkeck, February 16, 2017, 02:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halfkeck

Got a question, brought another sawmill (or two) home in parts.  That makes...nearly enough sawmills to work on.  Having grown up around basic hand set sawmills and seen many in use at antique tractor shows, this one has a feature that I have not seen.  How exactly does this pulley work?  I would guess it is a device to recede the carriage?

Darrel

Corley expert, I am not, but like you, I've spent most of my life around sawmills.  I'm pretty sure that you are at least partially correct in your assumption but it is hard to tell, not being able to see the entire mechanism and how it is connected to the carriage to make it advance and/or recede.  More pictures would be helpful. It almost looks like the carriage may have had automated setworks.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

sealark37

The pulley-like thing is mounted over a wooden rail that is parallel to the saw track.  The sawyer steps on a lever on his side of the track that raises the rail into contact with the pulley, which turns and recedes the knees to prepare for the next log on the deck as the carriage returns after the dog board has been doffed.   Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!