iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing through metal

Started by Snag, February 22, 2006, 08:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

My property contains a ton of sugar maples.  Some of which are going to be introduced to my Peterson this spring.  Once upon a time, the property was used for sugaring.  I suspect that more than one tap is lurking inside.  I do plan on getting a metal detector, but still anticipate that sooner or later I will hit one.  My question is, has anyone here hit any of the old taps in logs with a swingblade mill?  If so, what kind of damage incurred?  Dull blade, trip to blade doctor, not much...??  I am not familiar with the type/hardness of the metal they used to use....

Part_Timer

Snag

I've never hit any of the taps but I have hit a few nails with mine.  It seems that if I hit them 90 deg. to the blade normally I can grind the chips out and run again.  I hit a piece fo fence wire parallel to the blade and should have it back from Menominee saw this week.  ::)

I have hit bullets with the micro kerf and have had no problem but anything harder than that and off to the repair shop.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Brad_S.

Can't answer your specific question, but I have sawn a fair number of tapped trees on the bandsaw. The good news is responsible sugar bush operators remove the taps at the end of the season, so I have yet to strike anything despite the number of tapped trees I've sawn. Hopefully you will have the same luck!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Snag

I hope they were responsible, but from the number of old rotten pails I have found scattered throughout the property I get a feeling they werent.  I dont know how people can just leave their trash all over the place.  :(

Captain

Love thy metal detector as ye love thyself....major metallic collisions are not fun.....I would classify a sugar tap as a major metallic collision.

Captain

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Snag

I guess I was kinda wondering if the taps had been in the logs for awhile if the metal would be deteriorated a bit causing it to be less of a danger.  Kind of a dumb thought though.... why would it be different than any other metal. smiley_dunce

Thank You Sponsors!