iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3000 or 6000 mile Oil Change

Started by red, January 08, 2012, 09:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmfromkansas

My wife has a Toyota Corolla, 14 model, and it has a miserable little canister where you replace the paper filter.  Luckily my Tacoma has a cartridge filter.  They both count the miles and let you know when to change the oil.  5000 miles.  When I change them, the oil is still clear enough I can see through the stream as it flows out of the drain plug. My John Deere tractors after changing have dirty oil as soon as I start them up? What is up with that?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

alan gage

The GM 2.4L engines (like used in the Equinox) have been blowing rear main seals due to the PCV systems plugging and building pressure in the engine. Generally the engine is ruined because the customer doesn't catch it in time. GM has has issued an extended warranty for the issue that covers cleaning the PCV system and replacing the rear main seal (but not necessarily replacing the motor if it's ruined). Part of the repairs listed in that bulletin mention that the PCM will be reprogrammed to shorten the oil change interval.

We've been talking to other techs trying to figure out the best way to handle this issue on customer vehicles that don't yet exhibit a problem. The general consensus among techs who see this problem repeatedly is that it's the vehicles using extended oil changes that are having the problem (sludging leading to plugged PCV orifice leading to seal blowing out). The best preventative maintenance in this case seems to be to change your oil at 3000 miles.

We also continue to see multiple vehicles per day come through the shop that are low on oil. Virtually no one (including us) is in the habit of checking oil anymore and if you're going to run extended changes you have to do that. We're currently replacing a 6.2L Ford engine right now that has bad cam bearings. We're not sure but the likely cause was it running low on oil sometime in the last year. We're also currently replacing a 2.4L GM engine because the rear seal blew out on the interstate. The Ford has 126k. The GM has 103k. They're both very nice vehicles. The GM currently has about 8000 miles on this oil change (full synthetic) and the vehicle's maintenance reminder still hasn't come on.

The customer bought the vehicle brand new and also bought a $3100 aftermarket warranty at the time. It's only a few thousand out of factory warranty and the aftermarket warranty company denied the claim. "We don't cover seals and we don't cover the PCV system, which is the cause of failure." We talked to the selling dealer (who sold the warranty) in hopes they would have more leverage with the warranty company. They said they see about a dozen of these every year and the aftermarket warranty never covers them. So the customer will be paying for this one.

Each of those engine jobs is going to run about $9,000 and likely both could have been avoided by changing the oil every 3000 miles.

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

A-z farmer

I have a friend that hauls 7000 gallon tankers of used oil from the big apple to New Hampshire sometimes two a day.It goes to a refinery there and is processed into clean new oil and bottled .
I am sure this goes on all over the country but I thought it was interesting.

Bill

Back a couple decades ago I had a good after market oil pressure gauge on the " Camaro " . Used race oil in it as I liked to keep the rpm's up and gas was cheap ? though I wasn't a " racer " just wanted the motor to run well and last . Anyways after a few thousand miles I 'd notice the oil pressure was " off " a bit. Time for an oil change and things were back to normal. Don't know why the pressure dropped off a bit, coulda been additives breaking down, heat , higher rpm's ( ? ? ? ) or whatever but that was my tell for an oil change .

Now there's no gauge in the car and the truck's sending unit is not always making " good " contact for consistent readings - some days up and some down. If down for two days in a row its time to check the level - yep a quart ( or less )  low .

So I 'm in the more than the manual is better but with the price of oil - not back to 3000 miles - more like 5 to 7000 of full synthetic but way thinner than the " Camaro " as my buddies tell me the newer engines have closer tolerances and need the thinner oil for less resistance.

maple flats

On my old 7.3 diesel, I used to change at 3-4000, then my diesel mechanic said 10,000 was good. I then went to 10,000 and the engine was perfect at 190,000+ miles but in NYS the bodies don't do as well.
My current 6.7 Diesel has a meter that tells me when to change based on how I drive. I now get between 9,000 and 12,000 miles. The truck has almost 200,000 mi.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Tacotodd

I change mine every 5k miles just because it is an easy number for me to remember. This is on my '99 Tacoma with the 3.4. I've always run synthetic in it since brand new and now 21 years later, it's graduated to being a tractor that can still do 75mph if needed. I try to take good care of it. The only complaint that I can legitimately say that should have been a warranty issue, the seat squeaks. Every other problem, I can see how I've caused. BTW, the seat quit squeaking about 60k ago. You can tell, I don't want to take it back for warranty work for something that piddly.
Trying harder everyday.

Corley5

Recommended oil change on Ram 5.7 engines is 10,000 miles.  Changed the oil twice on the last lease at 10 and 20 and will do the same on the new one 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Al_Smith

One thing about this mess  that fell upon us at this time is two fold .With regards to oil changes you would get more months verses miles on an oil change .Plus not need to gas up nearly as often .In these months I've used more gasoline in the zero turn mower than three vehicles .I did however change the oil in all right before the onset.I'd bet I'm good enough to go until next March at that rate .A light at the end of a tunnel.The great 2020 money saver .

alan gage

Just looked at a clean '12 Subaru Forester with 100k. Came in with the complaint of an engine noise. Was 4 quarts low on oil. Total system capacity is 5.5 qts. of full synthetic. Noise went away once the oil was topped off.

Tag in the window showed it was last serviced at a Subaru dealer. The tag didn't say what the mileage was at the time but it was still 1500 miles away from the "next service" as printed on the tag. Checked Carfax and it looks like it was last serviced 4000 miles ago. Guess they should have put down to change the oil in 3000 rather than 6000 miles.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Tacotodd

Alan, that's a good one to NOT get. Chances are good, the damage is already done. It would at least need the oil pan off and rod caps off to look at the bearing shells. Bare minimum!
Trying harder everyday.

Sedgehammer

We've been doing every 10,000 for 20 years now or so. only use only synthetic only also. Mobile 1 on anything under 250,000k (have 3 gassers with over that), then walmarts oil. It's foolish to not use 100% synthetic and to change more often unless your under using and need to remove water.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Ianab

Quote from: A-z farmer on March 06, 2020, 07:01:06 AM
I have a friend that hauls 7000 gallon tankers of used oil from the big apple to New Hampshire sometimes two a day.It goes to a refinery there and is processed into clean new oil and bottled .
I am sure this goes on all over the country but I thought it was interesting.
When you you consider the gunk that comes out of the average oil well, and gets refined in the various fuels and oils. Everything from natural gas to road tar is in the mix. Waste engine oil is probably a pretty good feedstock to pump into a refinery. The used oil is basically "contaminated". It has fuel, water, broken down oil and carbon mixed in, so it's not so good as a lubricant any more. 
Run it through a refining process and I bet you get ~95% of it back as clean oil again, not much different from newly refined oil. 
Now synthetics have the advantage that they aren't a random mix of oil molecules. They are a blend of the best lubricating ones, that resist breaking down in the engine.  With Dino oil some of the random molecules break down with heat or reactions with combustion byproducts. This happens less with Synthetic oils. Hence the oil lasting longer in the engine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

farmfromkansas

Was reading what Alan wrote about the Equinox, and reminded me of a woman who came to visit a neighbor, both are divorced, and on her way home in her Equinox, she shelled out the engine.  I heard about it because he said she called and wanted him to help pay for it.  He said no, and their romance went nowhere. I met her at his office, and she was very attractive.  Maybe he should have helped out.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

red

When I started this posting 11 years ago I could not imagine going 6000 miles on an oil change now it is common practice 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: red on July 27, 2023, 10:26:17 AM
When I started this posting 11 years ago I could not imagine going 6000 miles on an oil change now it is common practice
I go 10k but lots is highway 

Walnut Beast

I'm in the 7-10k camp running synthetic all day long. If I'm pulling heavy I would back it down to 3-7k

rusticretreater

The oil change recommendation is now at 6,000 miles.  The oil doesn't wear out, its the detergents they put in the oil that get all gummed up.

After doing some research, I changed how I run oil in my vehicles.  Now, I run Mobile 1 synthetics and only change the oil once a year since I don't drive much.  My wifes car gets it twice a year.  Synthetics are good for 10K-15K depending on the load.  

But a key part of this is that just prior to the change, I run a can of seafoam through the engine.  You can use other products.  If you look at the ingredients you will find most engine cleaning formulas are mostly kerosene.

Another great product to use is BG K44 if you can find it(amazon). This amazing stuff dissolves hard deposits in your engine fuel systems. In my automotive repair days, we used to use it on cars that couldn't pass their emissions tests or had a carbon knock in the valve train.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

barbender

My understanding was that a working engine would have oil that stays cleaner than one that is idled excessively, with lots of cold starts. I run my oil the longest in my diesel pickup when I use it for long trips pulling out camper. Shorter rotation in the winter when I'm driving to the woods, 2 cold starts every day with lots if idling.
Too many irons in the fire

Al_Smith

Way back in the 60's my glory days it was 1000 miles or 1 month .The oil and filter wasn't as good as now .Now days it's 3 or 5,000 .I doubt if on three vehicles it's as much 7-8 thou a year .So I just change it once a year .The Toro zero turn is 50 hours and it only gets about 25 in a year 
Georgia just bought a new to her Buick .It's programed into it when it needs a change .That thing is a take off of a Cadillac .My goodness it would take a month of Sundays to figure out what it's capable of .Looks like the cockpit of an air plane .I'm real comfortable with a 57 Chevy but I think if it needs wrenched somebody else will have to do it .

dougtrr2

I have two vehicles and change my own oil every 5,000 miles, it is easier to keep track in my head that way.

Doug in SW IA

gspren

My new 2023 Land Rover Defender 6 cyl recomends 20,000 mile oil changes, hard to imagine. Here in PA we have to get vehicles inspected every year and I will put approximatly 10K per year on it so it will be done once a year reguardless of miles, same guy will do both while I watch.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

:D This oil business takes on a life of it's own .It seems to me people become oil brand loyal just about like the Ford/Chevy thing . Weather when you cut to the chase there is much difference in any of them just becomes a point of conversation often a point of arguement .Some are led to believe for example if you use stuff with purple die in it at much higher prices than others it becomes a magic cure all .To me it has became a point of amusement .Another version of the never ending great oil debate . 8)

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Al_Smith

Well now I haven't cranked them up in some time .You can't let the fire blow out because then it all turns to "dormant "oil .

Thank You Sponsors!