iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered bands from FF sponsor Kasco Canada

Started by RAYAR, June 05, 2019, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYAR

Ordered 15 custom length bands this morning, 151"+ (173 teeth @ 1.1 TPI (7/8" pitch)). Currently have some ten degree Lennox bands, but ordered seven degree, should perform well in both hard and soft woods. That's what I've gathered from reading articles here on this forum. About a three week delivery window since they are custom length bands.

I also have a page list of upgrades and additions to do on the mill as I take time to do them. Have new wheels and tires to install. Have more log dawgs to fabricate, currently only have one station, and back stops to weld on, currently have three. That will give me the opportunity to mill down to a 20" length without special set-ups. A winch set-up and ramps and a tool pan are other upgrades to do. A new scale set-up is another.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Quebecnewf

I have had very good luck with Kasco blades. Cut good and I get a lot of sharpenings per blade . Just tossed one yesterday that had been sharpened 14 times .Around 15 logs per sharpen so not bad and the price is the best I've found for a long time.

I see your homemade mill is a close copy of an Enercraft 18 which is what I've been running for 26 years. Great mill and overbuilt compared to mills I've looked at since 

Quebecnewf 

RAYAR

Quote from: Quebecnewf on June 05, 2019, 04:23:56 AM
I have had very good luck with Kasco blades. Cut good and I get a lot of sharpenings per blade . Just tossed one yesterday that had been sharpened 14 times .Around 15 logs per sharpen so not bad and the price is the best I've found for a long time.

I see your homemade mill is a close copy of an Enercraft 18 which is what I've been running for 26 years. Great mill and overbuilt compared to mills I've looked at since

Quebecnewf
Yes, my mill does seem to have been built quite similar to the Enercraft 18 and a few others. It does seem to have been built with quality and simplicity in mind. With the mods I've done so far and more to come, it's a pleasure to use. One of the first things I'd done before using it was to make a blade adjusting guide and squared everything up to the bunks. Before I started, it measured 1" cut above the bunks. After adjustments, it will go to 3/4" above the bunks.
I'm sure the Kasco 7 degree bands will perform beautifully.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

hopm

i can only find 158" as the starting length on the Kasco site. Is there somewhere else to look?

alan gage

Quote from: hopm on June 05, 2019, 04:22:25 PM
i can only find 158" as the starting length on the Kasco site. Is there somewhere else to look?
They'll make whatever size you need. I don't think the website is really for ordering. They'll get you in touch with a rep who can get you what you need. Fellow member Cuttingedge (Richard) is a rep here in the US and I've been very happy with his service. Here's a link to his website with contact info: Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC - Portable Sawmilling and Sharpening Services located in Rockport, WV
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

hamish

You ordered them directly from Kasco Canada?  Normally they like to go through there distribution channels, and are normally shipped from the US.  Might one ask what your cost per band CDN was?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

RAYAR

I ordered from Kasco Canada which I believe they're in Montreal. Us and Canada each have their own toll free number. My cost including shipping is just over $28 each. I also believe he told me they'd be coming out of Mexico. Common sizes are probably kept in stock, but custom lengths are another matter.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Quebecnewf

Mine were a little , not much cheaper than that but mine might be shorter . I picked mine up in Montreal so that helped. I had four boxes of 15. Only one box was for me the others were for buddies of mine . My blades were a dollar cheaper by blade than the last box I had about a year or more ago . Not many things get cheaper but they did . These are the best price and quality blades I have ever found and that's after 26 years of trying a lot of different suppliers . 

They come out of Mexico by way if St Louis I was told .

Quebecnewf

RAYAR

The Lennox bands I bought last year were less than a dollar more, but I got them in about a week and there was no shipping charge. They came from the north western part of New Brunswick. A trucking buddy of mine was able to pick them up at a truck stop on his way by. The Kasco Woodmaxx bands without shipping would be $25. The order likely goes through St Louis.

Ray
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Thank You Sponsors!