iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil 025 Hard Pull

Started by Sparks1009, January 01, 2020, 01:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparks1009

Alright guys first post. If I miss anything, let me know.

A friend gave me his 025 bc it was broken and he didn't need it/ want it anymore.

He had already taken apart the clutch and thought something was wrong on that end. That was about 5 years ago that the saw was in that condition.

When I got I cleaned everything up and got to take a look a closet look at it. It looked to me like the worm gear was broken, snapped on the end. Also was missing the brake as well. I ended up replacing the  worm gear, the clutch, and the brake.

If I start the saw without the bar and chain on the saw it fires right up and runs good. I can see the sprocket turning and everything looks good.

Here is the problem. If I put his old bar and chain on, I cannot pull the starter. It is stuck. It makes me think the bar or chain has an issue, but I see nothing wrong. The sprocket on the end of the chain spins okay, a little difficult but I've seen worse that still work.

What do you think my issue is?

Thank you for your help.

lxskllr

I don't really get into the mechanicals on these things, but it feels like a clutch issue to me. Maybe it's locked on?

gspren

When you put the bar/chain on you should be able to pull the chain and make it go the whole way around. If it wont move maybe the rails on the bar are pinched or clogged.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

MAF143

With the bar and chain off, did the outer bell and sprocket on the clutch spin freely?  It needs to spin freely on the bearing with almost zero resistance.

Does the chain pull around the bar freely when the bar is on the power head?  How about when it's off the power head?

Does the chain pitch match the clutch sprocket so there is no binding as the chain goes around the spocket?

OH YEA, welcome aboard.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Magicman

Quote from: Sparks1009 on January 01, 2020, 01:33:26 AMHere is the problem. If I put his old bar and chain on, I cannot pull the starter. It is stuck.
It seems that you are stating that with the bar tightened down, you can not pull the rope?  This would not indicate a bar/chain problem but something being pinched/squeezed tight within the saw. 

A bar problem would be no different than having the brake energized.  The start rope should still pull and the saw start.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!