iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil Parts are hard to get

Started by JSNH, August 12, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSNH

I have a Sthil FS85 trimmer and a MS 361. I really like them and they work well but sometimes you need a part.The dealers near me carry no parts. The dealers one hour away carry some parts. So when ever I need something it is a minimum of a phone call or a drive and at least one trip after a week long wait to get what is need to put the equipment back in service. Parts seem to be very high in price.

I purchased a Echo pole trimmer a few years ago. I also have a echo 370 saw I got for my son. I broke something on the pole trimmer and what a joy it was to get the part. Echo pars are sold on line. There are great diagrams with the parts listed. I was able to order the parts I needed on a Sunday and they arrived in a few days. The part prices were resonable and so was the shipping.

Well I am waiting on a coil for my 361 and was wondering with Stihl being the number one saw in the US am I in a dead zone or is this how it is for everyone? Or does everone just keep two saws so you can keep one working?

thecfarm

I had the same problem with a tractor I use to own.   ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

Since you opened that can of worms, I'll give you my .02 worth... Stihl is the Number 1 saw sold, that does not by any stretch make it the best saw, IMO.  Though they are good, I think they are a lot like JD and Cat, overpriced for what you get, and parts prices are crazy expensive. FWIW, there are other brands of saws out there, and just as good, no, better than the number 1 sold saw.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ianab

I'd be thinking this is a dealer problem?

They should be able to get on the internet and order parts for overnight delivery? But I bet they save up and do a parts order at the end of the week? I mean I can get parts for HP and Acer computers either overnight or 2 days if they have to come from Australia. Yes you pay freight, and the parts aren't cheap, but having a machine laying about in bits for a week costs more...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ZeroJunk

It depends on the dealer. The one I use stocks a lot of parts and they have a prepaid order in to Stihl usually twice a week and they get their stock orders the next day. And, they are only ten minutes away. Contrast that to some John Deere farm dealer who happens to sell Stihl and they likely won't have anything.

BradMarks

JSNH: Ianab and zerojunk are correct - it is a dealer problem.  Around here the box stores will sell Stihl or Husky at a reasonable price, yet they are not equipped to service what they sell. We have a sponsor here on the Forum; Chainsawr, they might have what you need. If not, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

beenthere

I've had no problem with the Stihl saws or with getting parts. So it in my opinion as well, another dealer problem. Maybe the dealer isn't sitting too well with paying Stihl for his parts, but whatever it is likely beyond Stihl's reach to make him run his business differently.
And maybe it is timing and relationships that have developed between you and this dealer. Both have to treat each other right. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hitchcock Woods

Quote from: mad murdock on August 12, 2014, 03:32:09 PM
Since you opened that can of worms, I'll give you my .02 worth... Stihl is the Number 1 saw sold, that does not by any stretch make it the best saw, IMO.  Though they are good, I think they are a lot like JD and Cat, overpriced for what you get, and parts prices are crazy expensive. FWIW, there are other brands of saws out there, and just as good, no, better than the number 1 sold saw.

It depends on where you live i guess.  Our STIHL dealer is also our John Deere dealer and my local guys can get me parts pretty fast for both (if they didn't already have them in stock).
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

JSNH

So the dealers around me are more like box stores some stock and no service. The ones with service are not near me and rarely stock the parts I need.
It was so nice, so easy and fast to order Echo parts. It just opened up my eyes to the fact that other companies have found better ways to support their products.
Paying extra for next day service is not what I would really want or need. Ordering a part online and waiting a few days is ok for me. It's the driving and time to deal with a "local dealer" that really costs.

I ordered the coil from the nearest dealer and I was told it is $92 ouch! It sounded like they rarely order any parts.

Chainsawr I did check and they had no coils for a MS 361. I found aftermarket ones but the reviews mostly said they don't work.

I have 30 loops of chain so I want to keep it running. I found some cheep chain last year that works ok it was really cheep like less than $3 a loop.

Sorry about the can of worms. I like the Stihl equipment I have but the parts ordering hassle has me a bit down and a bit poorer.

JSNH

ladylake

Quote from: mad murdock on August 12, 2014, 03:32:09 PM

I couldn't agree more.  Stihls number 1 selling saw was the MS290 for years due to it's way over rated HP numbers that way too many believed and there were a lot of better built more powerful saws for the same cost plus way cheaper parts.  It'd hard to beat Echo's online parts .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Sounds like a broken record  ...  old saying. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

luvmexfood

Yes it comes down to the dealer to a certain point. That being a manufacture that sell exclusively through dealers should expect something besides sells from their dealers.

Last fall I was having major problems with my chainsaw. Called the dealer I purchased from and they said it would be 3 weeks minimum before they could look at it. Explained I had lost my job, my unemployment had expired and the only way I could make a living was with that saw. Owners wife said she hated to hear that but it would still be 3 weeks.
Called a couple of other dealers and one had a carb in stock and had it waiting on the counter when I got there. Even closer to home. Guess where I purchase my supplies from now.

Should have cut ties with the original seller long time ago. Went in and purchased several smaller items including an inner tube for a front lawnmower tire. Thaught the bill was a little high. Took about 3 weeks when I was reviewing the bill for filling and noticed they had charged me $25.00 for a front tube. Needed another and got from local tire company for $9.00.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

ZeroJunk

I have used aftermarket ignitions and they work fine. You can buy three of them for $92

Al_Smith

All dealers are not all the the same .My dealer orders parts twice a week .I seldom have to wait more than 4 days for a special part .

Now yeah you might be able to find OEM new Stihl parts on fleabay but I'll bet a dollar to doughnut they will cost more than just going through a dealer .Fact a former sponser on this forum marked them up about 20 percent over dealer price .Plus you get to pay shipping on top of that .

Ianab

QuoteOr does everone just keep two saws so you can keep one working?

Well there is a lot to be said for that  ;)

Ever get a saw jammed? Or even some routine breakdown can have you out of action for the rest of the day, even with the best dealer support.

BTW, I had to order a part for my old Toyota. Not a local NZ model, and oddball ex Japan model. Young lady at the local service agent was very helpful, could look up the part diagram from the cars rego number, but there where none in stock, and it had to come from Japan. 9 days later I have my ignition lead, from Japan. Yeah it's an oddball part, on this model anyway.  ::)

Yes we have 2 cars  ;) :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

Well I've got 4 cars and 50 chainsaws if that means anything ;D

gspren

My Stihl dealer treats me well but Stihl is his main business and the business name ends with "Saw Shop", so that's shows his priority.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

weimedog

I don't see the parts issue as a Stihl issue. My local "big" dealer sells both Husqvarna and Stihl... and the local Tractor dealer also sells Stihl. Interestingly enough... Can't ever get parts from stock from the "saw / garden supply" Stihl dealer. Everything has to be ordered. And BTW same with Husqvarna at the same place. So its not the brand.  Its the dealer. In this case they are the only game in town... so they think.

I can get Stihl or Husqvarna part equally fast from a variety of places from OTHER dealers, online places like ebay, to places like Ahlbornes. About the last place I go is the dealers who don't support their product lines. The FIRST place I go is either a Husqvarna dealer around 20 miles south as he tries to stock things and the Tractor Dealer for Stihl parts as he actually has stock...even though his staff is clueless on what they are... they HAVE them! And if the parts I need aren't at that local spot, then try to conjure them up from a dealer 3hrs south/east of here....:) and usually unless he's coming this way that's not happening..... then to online sources.

Case & point have to fix a run over Stihl mas460, need chain brake handle & clutch side cover. As of this morning those two pieces are NOT local yet again. On to online sources.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Woodboogah

JSNH-I would be interested to know who you have dealt with for parts.  We are in similar neck of the woods.  I work all over South and central NH and there have been some bad run ins with shoddy dealers.  However, the majority of my experiences have been pretty good with getting parts on the spot.  If you want some contact info for different dealers give me holler. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

JSNH

I don't really have a problem with the dealers they can't stock everything. It's the time it takes to get to the dealer and back. I have had the best experience with a dealer in Concord but that's 35 mile away. The one in Manchester is 25 miles away. There is a new one that is in Goffstown and is on my way home I tried them this time. So far all part orders are mostly the same get there order the part wait a week return and pay top dollar for it. So for this part it's been more than a week and I just called and it is on backorder.

I am just dreaming of a parts order system online like Echo has.
One can dream can't one?

Al_Smith

I don't think it's just a dealer thing .They have to order parts from a supplier .In this area it comes from Cincinati Ohio .That guy is pretty good about things .

Now as far as Echo it's good thing you can order parts on-line because I know of no Echo dealers in this area .There are as rare as a stocking  Husqvarna dealer .About the same as finding a hens' tooth .

thecfarm

I really don't expect ANY dealer,be it chainsaw,tractor,car,truck to have all the parts. There are so many. BUT I do expect the part in 3 days. That would be shipping days,Sunday is not really a shipping day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

deerslayer

I have a Stihl dealer that is about 7 minutes away. I never go there because they've never had any part I wanted in stock. The dealer I use is about a half hour away and all they sell is Stihl products. He doesn't always have stuff in stock either but they get it quickly, call me when it arrives and "has a clue". Wish they were closer but probably good they're not, lol.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

deerslayer

I stopped by Woody's Chainsaw Shop, Sunnyside, GA today to get a price on an MS880 ($1800 w/25" bar)
and he said the distributor told him this week that his is the only shop in the southeast USA that is only a Stihl dealership. He doesn't sell tractors, Z turn mowers or anything else that doesn't say Stihl on it. Guess that is pretty rare these days. It's nice if you're looking for a Stihl product though.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

ZeroJunk

I don't know. The Stihl dealer here is a full fledged hardware store with paint, guns, plumbing, Toro, and everything else. I bought buffers for an 056 and they had them on the shelf. Sometimes I am amazed at what they have. But, they sell so much Stihl that some months they sell more Stihl than everything else put together in dollars.

Thank You Sponsors!