iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diliema with Cutting board?!?!

Started by Straubies, January 25, 2005, 04:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straubies

Hey,    
   I have a question about the cutting board my dad and family friend are almost done with. Its out of hard maple strips  7/8x 1 3/4 x RL. The overall size is 30''w x 6'5'' long.  The reason for the size is we do our own Deer/Beef processing. Will post pictures when complete.
        Now my diliema i have is:  Some of the butt joints have small gaps. I'm talking 1/8'' and smaller and am afraid of meat getting in there and rotting. IS THERE A FOOD GRADE WOOD PUTTY OR A FILLER TO COAT THE BOARD WITH TO FILL IN THE GAPS?? Its alot harder than it looked to keep everything tight when you are working with random length strips. But this is the first board of this size for us. Any information or comments would be appreciated!  
      Thanks,
   TIM
Git er DONE!!

Avalancher

I have used sawdust and a little wood glue to fill cracks before, I cant imagine that the glue would be harmful to any food products, you used wood glue to laminate the strips together, right?

Ironwood

I use West System epoxy. It is what "boat builders swear by and so will you". grab a issue of Wooden Boat Mag. look in the back. I buy mine from Oceania Ltd. in Annapolis Md. The properties are just what you need. flood the entire surface and then sand off the excess. It will be excellent for your application.  Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

footer

I agree with the wood glue and saw dust, But I would have probably finger jointed the ends of each piece, and glued the strips together end to end before gluing all together.

Straubies

Thanks for the replies,  we have been trying the sawdust and glue approach, but still there are some spots that just don't look right. And we thought about finger joining the ends but i think we have around 200 strips ranging in size from 5'' to 5'    
    And Reid, i am going to look for the epoxy right now!!  
  THANKS AGAIN,
   TIM
Git er DONE!!

Ironwood

Straubies, Guess we're nieghbors? The West stuff is great and use it all the time. epoxies are to be used differently than most wood glues, for your filling appl. it is well suited. If you plan to do production of the cutting boards use something different and snug up your tolerences, use a class-III waterproof glue for sure.

I get up your way on occasion, heading for Coudersport, neighbors camp is up there as well as Max Greely, a high end lumber supplier. St. Maries sits kinda neat in the lay of the land, liked that everytime i went up that way.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Hokiemill

I agree with the epoxy.  You can find small quantities of two part epoxy at your local hardware store.  For woodworking I use it to fill open knots or cracks.  I just add some walnut wood flour to give the epoxy a dark color that looks appropriate for a knot.  I'm not so sure I would flood the entire surface of your cutting board.  That epoxy is tough, tough stuff to sand down and with a board as big as yours, it would take a long time.  I'd just spot fill.

ohsoloco

On the bigger gaps I'd try cutting thin pieces of wood to glue in there  :)

OneWithWood

How safe is the West System Epoxy for food prep surfaces?  When I built a boat I recall the epoxy/glue was resorcinal based and highly toxic.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beav

West epoxy is most toxic before it is fully cured. Fully means a week of room temp (70* F). After that, it's not as bad, but still makes fine dust  when sanding, so wear a respirator. West System epoxy is made by Gougeon Bros., they have a website and they keep no secrets as to the toxicity of their products. Google them to be sure.
   I originally got my woodmizer back in '85 to cold-mold a 60' trimaram to sail the world. The mill will provide reams of veneers for cold-molding with epoxy at low cost. Ended up getting married with children and the trimaran looks more like a saltbox and will never "float free of its foundation". The mizer still cuts veneers....never too late ;) :)

Ironwood

Gougeon Bros. has great tech. support and a great publication Epoxy News, call and ask any tech. question and believe me they'll have a scientific answer. Reid

Thank You Sponsors!