iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant kicker

Started by Larry, October 19, 2012, 08:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I've been sawing a lot of 6 X 6 or 8 X 8 timbers.  I'm sawing with a TK-2000 equipped with the fixed position console.

Right now I can push them off the front of the mill or drag em back.  Neither way is fast or efficient. 

The third way is to tip them over backwards (off the log stop side) with the two plane clamp onto a roller conveyor.  That works well but slow.  Of course the clamp has to be centered on the cant for it to work.

I picked up two pneumatic cylinders today and got to thinking.  I could mount both of them on the mill and really kick the cant over backwards...in a blink of the eye :).  Cant position would be less critical.

Do you guys think it would work?  Any pitfalls to watch for?  I've already found out its not good to let the cant fall on the energy chain...those little plastic links are expensive. :-[
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ga Mtn Man

I'm not sure I follow you Larry, but I can't wait to see the video!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

mikeb1079

i think he's gonna use the pnuematic cylinders to push the cant off the mill....yes?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Larry

That's about right but it would be more like rolling if off the mill.

I've seen the WM guys roll logs off there mill...they usually end up between the tire and the frame. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Meadows Miller

Why Not Larry  ;) Alot of Carriges have them Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ron Wenrich

The problem I've had with cant flippers on a carriage is they tend to throw them pretty far, unless you can feather back your speed.  If built right, you only need one cylinder.  Getting more than one to work in unison may be a problem.  If they don't work together, it may throw it off in an angle.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Larry,You could have a shaft with two crescent shaped pieces that would swing up and push the cant beyond the mill and onto the roller table.Mayby work it hydraulically for better control or with air to throw it over. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

I agree with Ron. Remember that air moves much faster than fluid. I would think that a pneumatic speed control would have to be installed so you could dial in the correct cylinder velocity. Also remember that multiple cylinders will pressurize in sequence according to distance from the valve then extend based on resistance. From what I understand, getting multiple cylinders to extend simultaneously takes some pretty sophisticated devices such as position sensors that 'tell' the valve where the cylinder is so the valve can make adjustments along each cylinder's extension and retraction.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Larry

One of the great things about the forum is throw out an idea, and sit back to wait for other viewpoints.  I'm not going with my original idea now.  Franks suggestion of two crescent plates got me thinking.  I can build two bell cranks.  I will link them together so they can be operated by one cylinder to avoid sync problems.  I'll try pneumatic first, for the speed.

The TK mill is its modular with a lot of attachment points, where clamps, toe rollers, turners, and bunks can all be moved around for convenience.  I'll be able to use some of those existing attachment points to mount my bell cranks.

Just for you Paul I'll make a video.  Don't hold your breath though. :D

Ga Mtn Man

No mill mods allowed unless you've finished your house. smiley_whip
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

SPD748

Let me tell you how I 'learned' about the speed of pneumatics... Some years ago, I built a log splitter with a loading arm that raises logs from ground level up to the beam. I drew the arm in CAD and calculated the load/pressure requirements mathematically. To check my math, I concluded that 100 psi air would lift a 25 lb log on the arm. So... I set my shop's air system to 100 psi and hooked up lines to the hydraulic cylinder then placed a 25 lb log on the loading arm. Ready... Set... Go! I hit the control valve.

I still have a dent in the ceiling of my shop where the 'loading arm' catapulted the 25 lb log. :)

-lee

Serving Since 2002

beenthere

:D :D
Maybe a test run or two before loading it with 25# log.   ;D ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPD748

Oh believe me... I preach test runs... now!

-lee

Serving Since 2002

mikeb1079

QuoteI still have a dent in the ceiling of my shop where the 'loading arm' catapulted the 25 lb log.

:D :) :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

nas

At least it's not a hole :D :D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Okrafarmer

I bet you dialed it back a wee bit after that.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

francismilker

Quote from: SPD748 on October 20, 2012, 08:21:12 PM
Let me tell you how I 'learned' about the speed of pneumatics... Some years ago, I built a log splitter with a loading arm that raises logs from ground level up to the beam. I drew the arm in CAD and calculated the load/pressure requirements mathematically. To check my math, I concluded that 100 psi air would lift a 25 lb log on the arm. So... I set my shop's air system to 100 psi and hooked up lines to the hydraulic cylinder then placed a 25 lb log on the loading arm. Ready... Set... Go! I hit the control valve.

I still have a dent in the ceiling of my shop where the 'loading arm' catapulted the 25 lb log. :)

-lee

I think we might be brothers!  That kind of stuff happens to me all the time!!!! :D
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on October 20, 2012, 08:21:12 PM

-lee

Dang good thing that ceiling was there. Might have thrown than log all the way to Forest City!  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!