iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Food to fuel, just a sign of whats to come. Limits on purchasing food.

Started by johncinquo, April 25, 2008, 08:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

Saw this article this morning, and know its only the tip start of a lot of pain for people.   Talkek with my lil 4H buddies last weekend, they are all not doing pigs this year due to the feed prices.  They think they will be breaking even on the cows.  Shame to see the kids give up on a great summer project due to the costs. 

Those religious folks out west with the stockpiles are sounding smarter all the time. 

http://seekingalpha.com/article/73835-time-to-stock-up-on-rice?source=d_email

Yesterday on my way to home, I heard on radio that some Costco stores in the California's Bay area are setting limits on how much rice and flour a customer can purchase. According to Costco's CEO, the limits were put in place after what he saw as "unusual demands" for basic items. And Costco is not alone. Today, a story in USA Today says that Costco's rival, Sam's Club, is also limiting the amount of rice its customers can buy.

So what's the reason behind the action from warehouse clubs like Costco and Sam's Club, which serve both individual shoppers and small business owners? Apparently, it has something to do with the recent surge of rice price, as well as the prices of corn and wheat. Increased media coverage on food shortage in some countries (UN's World Food Program yesterday called the food crisis a "silent tsunami of hunger") also fueled concerns among consumers in this country about supplies of food staples, though there's no shortage here in the U.S.

Tonight, when I told my wife the stories I heard about Costco and Sam's Club, she said maybe we should get a couple of bags of rice this weekend, just in case. Since a 20-lb bag of rice, which typically costs between $8 and $15, can last nearly two months in our house, I am far from in the panic mode. However, with food prices on the rise, groceries are taking a bigger and bigger share in our monthly expenses, just like gasoline.

Are you concerned?

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

tcsmpsi

Locally, I heard from a long time friend that they were noticing shortages of some items on the shelves.

Notably disturbing to me, was his witness of the shortage of grits

The overall impact of the rise of fuel and groceries, basics, has yet to make its full awareness.

I had considered this coming, and worked toward its debut.  However, it has come faster and harder than I anticipated. 

In such times, my most treasured asset...adaptability.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Fla._Deadheader

Got MY sacks of Grits and Cornbread flour, safely home in Costa Rica.  8)
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

snowman

Cost of food is through the roof but in the good ole USA, most people eat enough for two and it should be no big problem to keep your grocery bill down by simply eating less. Theres also opportunity to save money by preparing your own food instead of buying prepackaged junk. It may also encourage more people to garden again. All in all this may put people on a diet and make them eat healthier too. This could actualy be a blessing in disguise, in America anyway, we arn't exactly on the edge of starvation here. I'm only ranting on this subject because I'm kind of a health nut, if you don't count the cigars and whiskey! :D

Dodgy Loner

I don't see the price of food as a particularly big issue.  The average American spends only 9-14% of their income on food, depending on what study you believe.  When you think about how much  Americans spends on food at restaurants, gas stations, and vending machines, you can see that it would be pretty easy for many Americans to cut their food budget in half, if they would learn to cook at home.  I spend about 6% of my income on food, because I've only eaten at one restaurant in the last month.  The only problem I have with the price of food is that more of that money isn't going to the farmers who grow it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tcsmpsi

Well, now, that is a little different for a family.  We still have two teenagers at the house.  Some folks have more.  Food costs are very noticeable. 

One of the diametric problems, is that as people draw back on their spending at restaurants, food purchases, etc., so will those industries suffer.  (yet, higher costs, less employment)

Food costs, by itself, though perhaps not a large percentage of the overall expenditure, combines with the rise in all other expenditures. 

We eat less, to pay for the electricity, which we use less of to pay for the water, which we use less of to pay for the house/maintenance that is primarily necessary, and we cut back on our fuel consumption to minimal necessity to get to the job which pays less percentage of our expenditures of necessity, etc., etc.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Gary_C

Back in the days of the collective farms in the Soviet Union, those big state run farms were so inefficient they could not feed their people. They found that much of the food for people came from the small private plots that people were allowed to cultivate.

So if people are worried and want to stock up on food, they should grow a big garden.  ;D ;D

Just think of how much that sweet corn they can easily grow will be worth.   ;D ;D   They may have to put a guard dog next to the garden to keep the coons (and their neighbors) away from it and people will have to learn how to get their hands dirty, but this is certainly a good year for large gardens.   ;D

Trouble is many families will have to learn how to actually cook food instead of just microwaving it.  ::) ::)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tcsmpsi

Another problem, Gary, is that most families haven't the space/opportunity to garden.  And, most families are induced into work/jobs that leave little time for gardening.

johncinquo

I was watching a travel/cooking show that went to Russia and found it interesting that their goverment encouraged using the land out in the countryside for "cottages" for all the city dwellers.  Get away for the weekend, relax, and grow a big garden.  I guess they put in roads and some utilities out into the boonies back in the 50's to encourage the use of the vast amounts of wilderness by the people.  Helps feed such a huge country, that lives primarily packed into cities. 

Somebody better tell Chet he is going to have neighbors soon!   :D
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Norm

I use raised beds that take up very little room but can produce quite a bit of food if used properly. Even when I lived in a big city the small yard I had would have been able to grow our family of 4's food quite easily using this method. No we wouldn't have eaten sweet corn but most crops that store work quite well in these.

I just ran out of my stored garden veggies but it was laziness on my part for not using more of what I grew. I could have easily feed another family of 6 but found very little interest in my neighbors the excess veggies and fruit I offered to them. As for time spent doing gardening it takes only minutes a day on average to take care of a garden. Now I understand this is not everyone's cup of tea but with some careful shopping you can be pretty frugal buying groceries.

crtreedude

I was thinking that this was a serious thing until you all mentioned that there is a shortage of Grits - to me, that is a silver lining for sure!  :D

We don't have a problem here, we are getting closer and closer to raising our own food - and pigs love coconuts if we need to use them.

Besides, I like chicken a lot more than pork - and we have 18 head of cattle now - even I can't eat that much! We have ducks too - and geese, and I am thinking about turkeys as well.

I have my gardens - and now I have aguaponics (a mix of fish and hydroponics) which is producing lots of fresh cukes, tomatoes, basil, greens, lettuce, etc. And fish of course.

What, me worry?  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Radar67

I have to agree with Norm on it not taking much space to produce a good garden. I have a book, "Square Foot Gardening", that explains how you can raise enough food for a family of 4 in a 10 foot by 10 foot area.

I'll be breaking my garden spot up tomorrow morning. It's been a while since I've had one of any size.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

crtreedude

Quote from: Radar67 on April 25, 2008, 11:14:44 AM
I have to agree with Norm on it not taking much space to produce a good garden. I have a book, "Square Foot Gardening", that explains how you can raise enough food for a family of 4 in a 10 foot by 10 foot area.

I'll be breaking my garden spot up tomorrow morning. It's been a while since I've had one of any size.

That is a good book on growing intensively - especially how to extend you season. We of course don't have that problem.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

tcsmpsi

I'm personally not that concerned.  I'm an organic gardener and can grow most anything in a small plot with very little necessary care, once the foundation is set.

However, most people do not have these opportunities.  And, most, in the cities, do not have yards.

I mean, for myself and family, I always believe and intend to be the 'last man standing'.   ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe it's time to start plowing under some of those "Manicured" lawns  ::) ???
  ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Gary_C

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 25, 2008, 11:40:28 AM

Maybe it's time to start plowing under some of those "Manicured" lawns  ::) ???
  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey now, there is an opportunity.  Those people in the suburbs have companies to come in and fertilize their yards, then another company to cut the grass, and a gardner to trim the bushes. Now they need a company to raise a garden on their lawn so they can feed themselves.  ;D

Anyone up for a garden growing service?  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Woodcarver

My thought, too, FDH.  Time for the return of the cottage garden.  The increase in food prices certainly makes our garden more valuable.

There are people who don't have the opportunity, but if everyone who has the space and physical ability grew a vegetable garden the reduction in demand at the store would help to reduce prices for those who can't garden.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Radar67

I wouldn't say everyone does not have the opportunity, maybe not the desire. Opportunity is what you make it, look at all the people they have caught growing pot inside. What about all the roof top gardens you hear about in the cities? There are ways for everyone to grow some of their food, even if it is just in a flower pot.

Who is to say one person couldn't grow peas on their balcony while another grew tomatoes? Then they could swap out their overages with the neighbors.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

We can each decide how we will handle the change in the economy...can't be by dictating to others what they have to do.  Must be voluntary.    But leave it to Gov't and the libs that will think they need to step in and do it for them...or at least they will try.

FDH
Going to have to cut the trees off first.... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

little Bark

Quote from: Radar67 on April 25, 2008, 11:14:44 AM
"Square Foot Gardening", that explains how you can raise enough food for a family of 4 in a 10 foot by 10 foot area.

My neighbor has 3  8'x8'  sq.'s.  I am always amazed at how much you can get from such a small area.  

Planting and growing a garden is the high light of my spring.  We plant a lot of things that would not do well in a box garden.
We actually expanded our garden this year thanks to relocating my wood pile.  We are redoing our strawberry patch this year.  So no strawberrys this year.  There is always next year.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

Larry

Well, Kathy came from the farm store in a dither couple of days ago.  The price of ear corn to feed the squirrels has doubled in price over the last month.  Cutting back is not an option for her...she told me to start making more money.  Guess that was an easy solution for her.

Dad lives in a senior citizen complex where there is no garden space available.  It is amazing to see what those folks are raising in pots and tubs on there patios.  Guess where there is a will there is a way.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tcsmpsi

I would say that sums it up as well as can be, Larry.  Where there is a will, there's a way.

Uh huh...well I can certainly empathize and sympathize with your squirrel 'problem'.  Ours (the spoiled little darlin's that they've become) wouldn't eat corn if they had to go back to pine.   :D

Tractor Supply has this concoction of seeds, nuts and dried cherries (same as human "trail mix" basically) that the wife has got them quite pleased with.

Oh well, at least we can eat it too.   ;D

OneWithWood

The rationing at Costco and Sam's club has nothing to do with food shortages.  There is a more than adequate supply of rice in the US.  The rationing is a function of the perticular business model the two purchasing clubs operate under.  Very little money is made off the products sold.  The money is made by selling memberships.  It is not productive for the companies to churn money on a no margin product.
Real food shortages are occuring throughout the world and in the poorer communities in this country.  The rising fuel and food prices are having a devastating effect on those communities.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!