iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick setworks

Started by NMFP, December 19, 2011, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFP

Can anyone tell me why this mill has 2 controlls?  I have seen and used many mills with the type on the left but what is the function for the one on the right?

Any suggestions or ideas are completely appreciated.

Thank you!

beenthere

Looks to be one is a double throw on the left and the right is a single throw. Also, the left has much finer increments of movement thus more accurate setting of the finer increments. And maybe the right one is just for reversing the knees. Can't tell that from the pics.

Is this one yours, or one you looked at and took the pic?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NMFP

I actually just purchased this mill.  Everything is in ok shape but I am going to rebuild the mill with new wood along with cleaning, painting and lubricating all metal parts.  When I am done, it should be like a brand new mill but I wasnt sure with the set works.  Had never seen two on a machine before like this.  I was actually thinking about removing the one on the right but not quite sure yet.

york

Hi,in your first thread Ron w. said it may be to recede the head blocks-i have never saw any thing like this,bert
Albert

Ron Wenrich

Looking at the gear ratio, I would say that the bigger one is a fast reverse.  It doesn't look like original equipment and could have been added on by one of the owners.  I was thinking that the original Frick setworks had 2 different gear ratios on them.  One side was slow so there was more accuracy in the sets.  The other side was fast and was used only in reverse.  But, I don't see that on your setworks. 

Frick had power receders on some of their mills.  It ran off the back of the carriage and involved stepping on a lever at the sawyers position.  That put the setworks in neutral and than was run by a wheel running on the plank that was attached to the lever.  It worked great, and you could really turn logs quicker and line up for the cut quicker.  I've used them on several mills. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

For sure its a manual receder, looks like you need one hand to release the setworks pawls and one to work the receder.With that gear ratio it will recede fast.NMFP the best thing I've found to prep old cast iron for paint is a cup wire wheel on a small angle grinder.Procede slowly using the old wood for a pattern.What I'am saying is just don't pull everything apart and put it in a pile.Keep us posted. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

YEP,looking more at picture,frank is right-the set-works has two rods coming down,you twist the handle to lift and release the pawls,then with you right arm,you recede the head-blks...

I am down in Kratzerville and would like to see this mill,thanks Bert
Albert

NMFP

Bert:

When I get it moved here and start the process, I will be letting you know for sure.  I am actually headed to Middleburg today to drop my portable mill off for some engine maintenance. 

As you said, it is a manual receeder but do you think it would be better to find a foot receeder of another mill?  I used a foot receeder years ago on a mill but its been a while.

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful.

york

NMFP,on rt.220 at top of hill before ya drop down into Dushore,is what looks like Frick mill,set up and there doing nothing,with four head-blks,i will stop and get better look at it...yes,just pm me when you get it home..Bert
Albert

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 20, 2011, 06:53:29 AM
For sure its a manual receder, looks like you need one hand to release the setworks pawls and one to work the receder.With that gear ratio it will recede fast.

You don't need to release the setwork pawls.  If is moving in the opposite direction for the pawls to grab.  They simply float over top the gear.

beenthere

Those pawls aren't keeping the knees from receding?   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Ron,are you sure about those pawls,they ratchet it forward but won't let it turn back unless lifted, mayby I'am missing something. Frank C.

Ron Wenrich

Its been awhile since I run a handmill, so I might be wrong.  But, I don't see any way that the first handle can move those paws up and down.  The setworks I used to run would flip one side up with a bar while the other side was activated.  That doesn't appear to be the case in the picture.

york

Albert

NMFP

York, I saw that listed this morning.  I thought about looking at that one as well but should probably stick to the one I found. 

Thanks so much and greatly appreciate the help and so on....

bandmiller2

There are old circular mills laying fallow everywhere.I live in a suburban yuppie stroon field and have no problems finding mills.Most of the old circle sawyers are living in God's woodlot now,all the folks now want bandmills.Frank C.

Dave_

steamsawyer

I wish it was in my neighborhood, I'd be on that like a duck on a junebug.  It looks like its in better condition than the one I already have.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

york

Yep,that e-bay frick looks good and only about 45 mi.from me,may run and check her out....
Albert

Frickman

I agree with Ron W., the setworks on the right was installed by someone to just recede the carriage faster. If you look at it it only moves the headblocks back, not forward. Also, there is nothing resembling a power receder on the left hand setworks.

Many of the Frick mills, especially the 0 and 00 models, were sold as bare bones mills with no bells and whistles. I've seen them without receders, extra dogs, even no adjustable taper on the knees. They were sold to farmers to cut railroad ties and locally used lumber when there was free time over winter. Noone had much money back then, especially the farmers, so they cut expenses everywhere they could. Thus the bare bones mill like is pictured here.

What the sawyer did was put whatever setworks he wasn't using in "neutral" so that it was not engaged to the set shaft and used the other setworks. When he wanted to switch he just put the other one in neutral. It is not an efficient setup but it is much better than just using the one on the left. I have sawn on mills like it and let me tell you, it's not as easy as it is with a receder.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

NMFP

Frickman:

I agree with you in that it will be easier than using the one on the left.  This mill actually has 3 tapers along with additional dogs.  I like the fact that this mill is simple so that there are less things to go wrong. 

Do you know if it would be difficult to locate a foot receeder or if I should just stick with the one thats on it? 

Thanks, NMFP

shelbycharger400

bandmiller2

circle mill waitin its turn here
more and more i see here and watch youtube, not all mills are the same even by the same manufacturer, mainly the circle mills.

Ron Wenrich

I don't think you can use a foot receder with the setworks you have on that mill.  The foot receder has a wheel that runs on the receder board.  That pushes the setwork pawls into neutral and the wheel moves the headblocks forwards or back through the setworks.  When the receder board goes down, the wheel drops and the pawls become functional. 

bandmiller2

Shelby,I don't think I've ever seen two circular mill the same.Years ago there were options and most sawyers mixed and matched parts from different mill to there likeing. Frank C.

bandmiller2

NMFP,have you tried that hand receder on the right in your picture you don't need the mill setup to try it,it may be fast and easy.My Chase has a beam receder but I need to manually twist the  "D" handle to release the pawls so it will recede.Many times I'll just use the setworks to recede the headblocks. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!