iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cable skidders and deep snow!!

Started by Woodhauler, February 03, 2015, 06:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

I measured 40 inches behind my garage today! That was just sticking a tape measure in the snow!!!!  Atleast 10-12 inches of hard pack snow the tape didn't go through! I still remember the days i ran skidder, oh how i dreaded the deep snow!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

rick f

I'm cutting firewood in open hardwood land. Snow is about 40-45" deep. pretty tough hauling a chainsaw though that. I told the guys there is a real good chance a limb or three may come out to the yard. Skidder doesn't like the deep light snow. got the main trail opened up today so it will set up tonight , I hope.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Ken

Glad I'm not pulling cable today.  We've had 3 large storms in the last couple of weeks.  Although most of the winter has been good it is going to heck in a handbasket quickly.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

lopet

Wow !!  You mean a high production day can quickly turn in to a " just burning diesel and calories " day.  :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Mopar70

it would definatly be nice to have a day that broke freezing soon.
set the roads up good for you guys once it froze.

HiTech

It has been so cold that the snow in my area is starting to crystalize. It is getting that sandy feel. Hard to get traction in that stuff. Also hard walking in it.

sawguy21

Ken, that scene sure looks familiar. Saw it many times in the BC interior. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chevytaHOE5674

Makes me glad to be running a processor with tracks on it. We had 48" of snow on the ground back in November already so its been slow getting around in the woods since then. Not too many guys UP here that run cable skidders/hand cut in the winter though.

Maine logger88

It's not the depth of the snow that's the worst it's how mealy it is. It won't pack for anything worst part of all I'm skidding a long ways up hill its getting frustrating. O well get a few more loads out of here then move to a flatter lot
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Mopar70

i hear you there, today was a good day for it to settle.
Only problem is it has to stop snowing for for that concept to work....
i'm with your there  88..

Ken

I cringe whenever the skidder starts to chatter in that mealy snow.   
Lots of toys for working in the bush

chevytaHOE5674

That's how our snow is UP here you chatter right through until you hit the bottom. No settled snow or base to it, but then again it was -18° this morning so it looks to stay sugary for a while yet.

DDDfarmer

Got into a hole today, nothing near to even think hooking the cable to and the snow almost to the floorboards.  Couldn't back up or worm around.  All I could do was lift the machine as high as I could with the blade, set it down and move 8-10" and repeat. Took a long time to move 100' 

Lots of shaking/chattering just to make a trail.  353 just doesn't have the oomph to keep up the rpms in 2nd and 1rst doesn't get you anywhere.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

David-L

Three feet around here and more in certain pockets. Another 5 to 10" coming at the end of the weekend. Haven't run the skidder in days, my right hand is numb from handling the plow controller though. Makin money and I don't care, let it snow baby.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Offthebeatenpath

Finished up a small job yesterday where we were pulling the entire length of the mainline to get at the trees that were farthest downhill.  Trudging through the snow here is exhausting at best... Spent a good chunk of the day opening up to the new yard with the skidder and skid steer.  Made me wish I had bigger equipment blasting through some of the drifts.
Here's a pic of pushing snow with the 440D yesterday.

Here's the last pass of the day with the truck in pretty much the same spot.

More snow coming this weekend...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

David-L

Went to visit my machine yesterday. cleaned the snow off ,got it running ,plowed the landing, broke open the twitch road and thats as far as I got.3 to 4 ft where the pine is and will attack it after this next cold spell. -2 here this a.m. Glad she's chained up on all four. Pretty soon instead of seeing bumper stickers that say "got milk" it will be "Got Wood". stay safe and keep warm.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Maine logger88

Yup I'm headed to the lot in a few minutes to move the machine on to the next lot gonna be fun trying to start a new lot with this much on the ground
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!